Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Hyperthreading off works great!

9 hours ago, lownslo said:

Naw, just bustin' your chops (you gave yourself plenty of wiggle room by claiming only "99%" 🍻).  Thanks for posting your "Bench" screen... looks like you've got it dialed in nicely.

Seriously, though, while many "real" benchers may not put much value in CPU-Z, it could be useful to us simmers.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg- a perfectly reasonable request and I got the sense that you were speaking for the group. And your right ....the cpuZ score does have utility but can be somewhat misleading when comparing 'systems'.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

I WAS kidding Rob. Unfortunately it wasn't recognised as such. My bad. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Ron

I'd sussed you out straight away Ron, you old rogue 😉

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

What's the point buying Hyperthreading CPU if you only needs 4 cores.:smile:

Mo45

18 minutes ago, Jon123 said:

What's the point buying Hyperthreading CPU if you only needs 4 cores.:smile:

There is enough other Shih Tzu besides P3D to run on the other cores 😉

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

I'd sussed you out straight away Ron, you old rogue 😉

Man, he had me going... I'm thinking to myself, yikes... this guy has built his last 5 systems and doesn't know what a MOBO is or how to get in to the BIOS..

Well, I can take some consolation in the fact that he got several other people as well... 😁

Edited by SunDevil56
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

Man, he had me going... I'm thinking to myself, yikes... this guy has built his last 5 systems and doesn't know what a MOBO is or how to get in to the BIOS..

Well, I can take some consolation in the fact that he got several other people as well... 😁

😄

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

22 hours ago, westman said:

not read the tread only the last pages , but in my world the 8600k is superior to the old tractor 5960x have one i know , have  a good 8700k @5.5 ht off 4600mhz c17  but run my sim with HT off with a 7920x @5.1 ghz 4x8gb 4000mhz c16 32gb  disabled 2 cores to get more shared cashe 10 cores active, prefer this over the 5.5ghz 8700k

Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, for an 'old tractor', my overclocked ridiculously overpriced 'old' lady, the i7- 5960X, still fairs not too shabbily in the benchmarking stakes 3 years down the line :-

(Run under Windows 7 Pro 64bit)...

XYI7m1H.jpg

(Run under Windows 10 Pro 64bit)...

0r5Zr8w.jpg

A couple of comparisons with the 8600K and the 8700K (not sure how relevant these figures are as they will reflect the actual overclocked level of the 8600K) :-

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_8th_generation_core_i3_8350k_and_core_i5_8600k_review/9

PStPVrP.jpg

Grey Bar = System Score, Red Bar = Multitasking, White Bar = Encoding

Anyway, this 'my system is better than yours argument' is, as always, largely irrelevant. Yes, the 8600K might be the better choice of CPU, but it was not available back then when I built my rig. Choices were made based on the knowledge and expectation that components would need to serve me well for several years to come. Quite clearly this approach has been vindicated as the 5960X continues to handle everything thrown at it with considerable aplomb. It may not be the latest and greatest now, but the build as a whole is more than a match for the majority of contemporary demands. Where my customised Prepar3D is concerned, I have reasonable expectations and those expectations are amply rewarded with great performance and stability for the type of flying I enjoy.

I too was a HT=OFF aficionado until I became involved in conversations with the redoubtable Steve Waite. My resistance to change was palpable (LOL!), but that did not deter Steve and so, over time, I discovered that HT=ON seems to be the way to go...on my system. I fully accept others will have different experiences and I would never presume to criticise their choices. As with the choice of CPU, what works, and works well, will always make that the correct choice.

Regards,

Mik

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, for an 'old tractor', my overclocked ridiculously overpriced 'old' lady, the i7- 5960X, still fairs not too shabbily in the benchmarking stakes 3 years down the line :-

Here is the one i run with HToff , acording the old tractor it not bad but you can see  what your  8cores/ 16treads do in multi agianst 10 cores

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkf0euzvfii7qzz/7920X cpuz bench.png?dl=0

32 minutes ago, westman said:

Here is the one i run with HToff , acording the old tractor it not bad but you can see  what your  8cores/ 16treads do in multi agianst 10 cores

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkf0euzvfii7qzz/7920X cpuz bench.png?dl=0

So what? I thought by now it was quite clear that I just don’t need it...yet! That’s my point. Whether you have the capability to run an app/game at 120fps or 200fps with game settings on Very High -> Ultra is academic these days. Heck, if I wanted more then I could get a 2080Ti but, for my needs right now and the foreseeable future, it would not be very sensible and hence difficult to justify.

However, and at the risk of repeating myself unnecessarily, I respect your right/desire/need to keep abreast with technological progress, but there is absolutely no need to keep brow beating me or others with what we know to be possible should we choose to go down that road. We don’t simply because it is currently unnecessary.

Also, it’s worth pointing out that 10 cores (HT=ON) are unnecessary for a well performing Prepar3D since it has been shown that the optimal core count is 6. Certainly, if you prefer HT=OFF then those spare 4 cores could be assigned by Affinity masks to various add-ons. I can accomplish that with HT=ON and 2 ‘spare’ cores.

Regards,

Mike

7 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

So what? I thought by now it was quite clear that I just don’t need it...yet! That’s my point. Whether you have the capability to run an app/game at 120fps or 200fps with game settings on Very High -> Ultra is academic these days. Heck, if I wanted more then I could get a 2080Ti but, for my needs right now and the foreseeable future, it would not be very sensible.

However, and at the risk of repeating myself unnecessarily, I respect your right/desire to keep abreast with technological progress, but there is absolutely no need to keep brow beating me or others with what we know to be possible should we choose to go down that road. We don’t simply because it is currently unnecessary.

Also, it’s worth pointing out that 10 cores (HT=ON) are unnecessary for a well performing Prepar3D since it has been shown that the optimal core count is  6. Certainly, if you prefer HT=OFF then those spare 4 cores could be assigned by Affinity masks to various add-ons. I can accomplish that with HT=ON and 2 ‘spare’ cores.

Regards,

Mike

wy i run 10cores instead of 12 its  for get more cashe per core, and tthe sytem run as i want , you dont know how i set up the cores for P3D 

you do your sim and i do mine , end of discusion

52 minutes ago, westman said:

you do your sim and i do mine , end of discusion

Thank you, at least we can agree on that!

No hard feelings.

Regards,

Mike 🙂

BTW, nice system...and that overclock is to die for! I hope it remains stable for a decent length of time.

Edited by Cruachan

And you wonder why I had reservations on posting a CPU-z score. LoL

Mike, I totally get why you're questioning where our cpu's fit in scheme of things with p3d. You have great processor and by the looks of it a fine running one at that. You have impressive real bench times on everything but imaging ....and if there is anything we can take away from real bench and somehow connnect it to p3d performance it’s the imaging score. the imaging benchmark uses cuda cores and gives significant weight to mem quality and speeds -we’re both on win7 with 1080ti's; I’m usually in mid 18 sec range with an occasional pop into the hi 17 sec range (mid 290’s).

-cheers

• Upvote 1

The problem with HT cores is there is no free lunch.  They incur overhead and steal from the rich (hardware cores) at the expense of a lower base clock and greater core temps due to the need for more voltage.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

It is a bit strange but in my case trying to overclock three different CPU's over the years (i2600k, i6700k, i7700k), I was never able to get a higher more stable overclock with HT-OFF compared to on. It is just that HT-ON always ran hotter. The CPU clock frequency hit the same limits either way.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Cruachan said:

(Run under Windows 10 Pro 64bit)...

0r5Zr8w.jpg

My RealBench 2.56 imaging score:

vfMVqQJ.png