Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Ideas on 15fps!

13 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Sorry, my sense of humour 😉 I was meaning, I haven't got a clue!..... what does.... "USB selective suspend setting was tuned off and went up to 45 fps once I turned it back on"... mean? Can you explain, thanks.

I wish I know, all I can tell you is that I had Xplane at 2 fps and p3d at 8 fps, I reinstalled p3d client, deleted some .cfg's etc... and downloaded a second copy of xplane and still the same, turned that USB selective settiing and now I'm at 34 with Xplane and 38 to 42 with p3d at KPHX and FSLABS A319

weird? luck? who knows but it worked 

Edited by Manny Ortiz

Cheers, Manny Ortiz

19 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Sorry, my sense of humour 😉 I was meaning, I haven't got a clue!..... what does.... "USB selective suspend setting was tuned off and went up to 45 fps once I turned it back on"... mean? Can you explain, thanks.

No worries Howard....

Just go in to control panel/power options/change plan settings (ie. for the "plan" you've selected) and select the "USB Settings" tab.... Then just see if the "USB selective setting" is set at "enabled"

Mine is "enabled" by default, (Windows 10 64 bit) but there could be any number of reasons why it might change without you ever knowing... I hate it when that happens...☹️

Edited by SunDevil56
  • Like 1

I don't know what to think anymore, I went back and turned it off and both simulators seem to be ok at around 40 FPS. I need help......

Cheers, Manny Ortiz

10 minutes ago, Manny Ortiz said:

I don't know what to think anymore, I went back and turned it off and both simulators seem to be ok at around 40 FPS. I need help......

Weird Manny.... I never gave this setting a thought until you mentioned it...

It's always been enabled by default in my Windows 10 64 bit OS... Never a problem here...

Edited by SunDevil56

Lots of options can cause sudden FPS drop ... things to check:

1.  Dynamic Reflections, turn them OFF or to LOW (this is location specific, some airports will windows/transparency that can stress the GPU at specific view angles)

2.  Dynamic Lights with SSAA (again location specific and add-on specific)

3.  You ran out of system RAM and started swapping to disc 

4.  You ran out of VRAM and started swapping system RAM

5.  CPU or GPU got too hot and throttled

6.  USB device power cycling or going Online/Offline hysteria (check your USB cable connections)

7.  You have a nasty malware/virus

8.  From cmd prompt (run as admin), run SFC /scannow

9.  If running multiple GPUs in SLI mode, disable SLI and test again

10.  Hope it goes away at midnight

Cheers, Rob.

3 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

You are the MAN  Rob...🙂

But seriously.... I've learned a lot from your knowledge, ideas, and suggestions over the years...

Many thanks for your efforts and contributions to our flight simming world, and all the best to you in the new year....😎

9 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Lots of options can cause sudden FPS drop ... things to check:

1.  Dynamic Reflections, turn them OFF or to LOW (this is location specific, some airports will windows/transparency that can stress the GPU at specific view angles)

2.  Dynamic Lights with SSAA (again location specific and add-on specific)

3.  You ran out of system RAM and started swapping to disc 

4.  You ran out of VRAM and started swapping system RAM

5.  CPU or GPU got too hot and throttled

6.  USB device power cycling or going Online/Offline hysteria (check your USB cable connections)

7.  You have a nasty malware/virus

8.  From cmd prompt (run as admin), run SFC /scannow

9.  If running multiple GPUs in SLI mode, disable SLI and test again

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, thanks for the suggestions, appreciated. You have pointed out a number of interesting possibilities which I shall take a close look at later today. BTW, happy New Year! 😊

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Happy New Year all.

I had a similar problem. I'd be flying around getting decent performance, and suddenly there would be a nasty drop to 12-15fps. The only thing that would fix it for me was a reboot. This happened in all my simulators and other games.

What I eventually found out was that my CPU was throttling itself to 800mhz for no obvious reason using CPUz. I eventually fixed the problem after I went into power management and made sure it ran at maximum performance. I don't have a powerful computer by all means, but this stopped this annoying problem for me.

25 minutes ago, tonywob said:

What I eventually found out was that my CPU was throttling itself to 800mhz for no obvious reason using CPUz. I eventually fixed the problem after I went into power management and made sure it ran at maximum performance. 

I Suggest you set it as your global option. Not just for P3d.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Yep, I did exactly that. It happened in any game I was using and was driving me mad until I found out what it was

• Like 1

Could someone make a userguide on how to deal with the problem, in detail please?

16 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Many thanks for your efforts and contributions to our flight simming world, and all the best to you in the new year....

And a happy New Year to you and all.

7 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

You have pointed out a number of interesting possibilities

Hope you get it sorted out and report back if you do.

Cheers, Rob.

What, could be exclusive to me, after recent re-installation, WIN and everything else, I opted out of UTlive. And while I experience some FPS drop at heavy sceneries (22-25) everything and everywhere else is very smooth and on my surprise steady 40-50. Not sure if that is the issue, but even at KLAX, KSFO and CYYZ, FPS drops but at acceptable level and no stutters. Before, when I had UT, even if I adjust traffic at 0, still I had issues.

Not sure what to tell you, but at this point I will be without UT for sometime.....

Alex 

17 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Hope you get it sorted out and report back if you do.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Yesterday I decided to re visit exactly the same flight scenario, as I had saved the flight in question. KBOS, gate 4, NGX, FS2Crew + GSX., no AS. I brought up the frame counter to see at what point the performance dropped while initiating different aspects of the flight. Originally the drop in frames appeared during pre-flight checks so GSX was a contender for culprit of the year! After spending 20 minutes at the stand and initiating all addons and preparing for pushback, the framerate never dropped below 24 (?) It would seem there may well have been an outside program that caused the original issue. In a situation like this I would have pointed the finger squarely at a Windows update, but this service is always stopped in services prior to any simming. Unsure where else to look or what else to consider. Maybe it was some kind of anomoly in P3d...(?) Anyway, I thought I'd report back following your helpful input Rob.   BTW: You previously mentioned a possibility USB device power cycling or going Online/Offline hysteria (check your USB cable connections) I have to admit, but I'm unsure what you mean by this, but... only a couple of weeks ago I noticed that three ports on a 6 port, powered USB hub have stopped working. Don't know if this may be a problem(?)

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776