xkoote

Stabilizer 6° for refueling

Hi Guys,

I was fueling the 747-8i on a ULR from 11.8 to 155.4 tons. I was minding my own business when suddenly the engineer came on the intercom. I could barely make out him asking me to pressurize hydraulics 2 & 3 and to set the stabilizer to 6° for proper stabilizer refueling. I was surprised, but complied. After I set my stab trim to 6°, the engineer came back on to ask me to depressurize the hydraulics so he can start fueling. I complied, and some 15 seconds later ..... viola !!! Amazing. Since a quick search online or in the intro manual did not reveal results I though it would be interesting to post.

Cheers,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This has happened to me before as well, bit of laziness on my part properly configuring the aircraft for parking I think, and of course that previously I'm so used to just shutting the sim down and starting a new flight with a fully serviced 747 every flight.  For giggles, try flying multiple routes using the turn around feature and not 'turning off the sim' i.e. just using the turn around feature.. and don't conduct any maintenance.. after a few successive long hauls you'll see low oil amber indications and all sorts.. 🙂

I imagine aircraft maintenance (status, fluid levels, oxygen levels, etc) will become something we need to pay careful attention to with Global Flight Ops, and we'll also need to be careful how we leave jets for the next 'crew' as well, a totally new experience.

I really like using the turnaround feature where I have time now, it's a nice touch.

Edited by craig_read

Interesting. I can't find any reference in the B748 FCOM to place the stabilizer at 6° at a certain point. So I always let mine the way it last stayed after landing.

Cool! Never stumbled upon this, as I fly the freighter usually, which has no STAB tanks.

It's part of the real world after landing checklist usually done as part of the after landing flow, STAB TRIM 6 units, even though we have our stab tanks locked out to qualify for a lower MTOW and hence lower landing fees we still have this in the checklist, I guess for Boeing standardisation.-Jon Bunting

4 hours ago, Heffron said:

Cool! Never stumbled upon this, as I fly the freighter usually, which has no STAB tanks.

And probably since i use FS2Crew and Previous Flight as startup panel state, it is always at 6.0 when loading the sim.

Edited by Heffron

12 hours ago, xkoote said:

I was fueling the 747-8i on a ULR from 11.8 to 155.4 tons. I was minding my own business when suddenly the engineer came on the intercom. I could barely make out him asking me to pressurize hydraulics 2 & 3 and to set the stabilizer to 6° for proper stabilizer refueling. I was surprised, but complied. After I set my stab trim to 6°, the engineer came back on to ask me to depressurize the hydraulics so he can start fueling. I complied, and some 15 seconds later ..... viola !!! Amazing. Since a quick search online or in the intro manual did not reveal results I though it would be interesting to post.

What intro manual are you reading. I'm looking at it, and it mentions this on page 43.

On our earlier aircraft, there used to be fuel system logic to prevent refuelling if the stabiliser was not in the 5~7 unit range. A light illuminated on the fuelling panel to advise that HST fuelling was inhibited.

Now there is no light or logic, so I guess Boeing deemed it unnecessary. There are 10 level sensors in the tail tank, so I guess they can figure out what the level is, irrespective of angle.