Sign in to follow this  
gramaticus

Prepar3d.cfg versus FSX.cfg

Good Morning members

Having just migrated from FSX under Windows 7 a few days ago to Prepar3D under Windows 10, I have an issue with the cfg file in that it is only 6 lines in length and bears no resemblance to the 2 pages of the previous FSX file (Hopefully at this point I'm going to attach my file) - no, didn't work so attached is the file in text form: <?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>
  <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/>
  </startup>
</configuration>

Any help, suggestions good, bad or indifferent would be much appreciated.

VBRgds Paul Jennings

Hi,

that is the wrong file that you are looking at. Form the looks of it, you have opened the "<Prepar3D folder>\Prepar3D.exe.config.xml", which has nothing to do with the simulator configuration. P3D is using managed code, and this file is telling the .Net runtime that it wants to use .Net 4.0 compatibility.

What you are looking for is the simulator config file:

"C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.cfg"

All the other global config files are here:

"C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"

Word of advice: forget everything that you knew about FSX - or at least make sure that what you know is still the same in P3D - which is not the case in a great many cases that we old FSXers take for granted. Your best resource for current knowledge is the "Learning Center.chm" helpfile in the main simulator directory.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 3

LORBY-SI

Yeah, let's count up the continuing number or issues and problems in the so-called superior Prepar3D/4D raised in this Forum over the past 5 years or so...

Me, I'll stick with FSX-Steam for now.  

8 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

Yeah, let's count up the continuing number or issues and problems in the so-called superior Prepar3D/4D raised in this Forum over the past 5 years or so...

Good for you! And if you don't like those discussions then stay away from them.

• Like 4

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

You mentioned continuing issues and problems, but I have to say that P3D is more stable and far more capable than FSX:SE ever was.  I make a minimum of 5 airliner flights per week without any issues, in fact each flight is an incredible experience.

As someone who does P3D and product tech support professionally, I am absolutely mystified by your opinion of the P3D, but if that's how you feel, then that's how you feel.  But I suggest taking into account that your opinion is not shared by thousands and thousands other people who are enjoying their flights in P3Dv4, and of course remember that Homo Erectus never actually benefited from howling at the moon even though he may have felt it did. 😉

Best wishes!

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

Hi,

that is the wrong file that you are looking at. Form the looks of it, you have opened the "<Prepar3D folder>\Prepar3D.exe.config.xml", which has nothing to do with the simulator configuration. P3D is using managed code, and this file is telling the .Net runtime that it wants to use .Net 4.0 compatibility.

What you are looking for is the simulator config file:

"C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.cfg"

All the other global config files are here:

"C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"

Word of advice: forget everything that you knew about FSX - or at least make sure that what you know is still the same in P3D - which is not the case in a great many cases that we old FSXers take for granted. Your best resource for current knowledge is the "Learning Center.chm" helpfile in the main simulator directory.

Best regards

Hi Lorby

Many thanks for the information provided. I'm just in the process of re-installing to a non C: drive. Will the new cfg file still be in the C: drive when I've finished, or in the actual drive where the programme is - in my case F:\

25 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

You mentioned continuing issues and problems, but I have to say that P3D is more stable and far more capable than FSX:SE ever was.....

That's a gross understatement Dave....😁

As somebody who runs both FSX SE and P3D v4.4, the difference in stability and capability between the two is like night and day IMHO, with P3D being the hands down winner....

I rarely fly FSX these days, but I still peruse the FSX SE forums on a daily basis, and the number of major issues like unresolved CTD's, controller issues, scenery issues, and a host of others that crops up there on daily basis is quite astounding.

To be fair, issues with this or that in P3D do appear, but they generally get resolved very quickly due to the dedicated and knowledgeable community here at Avsim, and there is no question in my mind which is the more stable and capable platform... It's P3D by far.

Edited by SunDevil56

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

See ya, don't let the door.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

23 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

See ya, don't let the door.

Could we try and stick to the question I asked, and not go off on a tangent of one versus the other. I asked for some help, not "mines longer than yours"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gramaticus said:

Hi Lorby

Many thanks for the information provided. I'm just in the process of re-installing to a non 😄 drive. Will the new cfg file still be in the 😄 drive when I've finished, or in the actual drive where the programme is - in my case F:\

Why would you install the sim to a different location? Please note that you shouldn't just drop addons into the main simulator folder like you did with FSX. That is not how you are supposed to do it with P3D.

But anyway, configuration files don't "travel" with the location of the executable, they always stay in the same place. That is what these folders (user\AppData, C:\ProgramData) are for in Windows based systems. And there is a reason why these are hidden or system folders: you as the end user don't have any business altering anything in there. You should try to refrain from editing any .cfg files until you have a sound understanding of how P3D and its addon referencing system works.

Many people think that P3D is just another version of FSX: That is not true. Just because it is largely backwards compatible does not mean that there aren't new specs and new procedures that you are supposed to follow.

Best regards

• Like 1

LORBY-SI

Make sure you have, in any windows explorer window,  TOOLS | FOLDER OPTIONS | VIEW TAB | --> "Hide extensions for known file types" Unchecked.. That was for W7 but should be similar for W10.. What a headache MS provided with that option. 

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

9 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Why would you install the sim to a different location? Please note that you shouldn't just drop addons into the main simulator folder like you did with FSX. That is not how you are supposed to do it with P3D.

But anyway, configuration files don't "travel" with the location of the executable, they always stay in the same place. That is what these folders (user\AppData, C:\ProgramData) are for in Windows based systems. And there is a reason why these are hidden or system folders: you as the end user don't have any business altering anything in there. You should try to refrain from editing any .cfg files until you have a sound understanding of how P3D and its addon referencing system works.

Many people think that P3D is just another version of FSX: That is not true. Just because it is largely backwards compatible does not mean that there aren't new specs and new procedures that you are supposed to follow.

Best regards

The main reason I installed it to a non C: drive is the size of the disc - my F drive is 1.5TB, whereas my C drive is smaller and didn't have the capacity for it.

10 minutes ago, spokes2112 said:

Make sure you have, in any windows explorer window,  TOOLS | FOLDER OPTIONS | VIEW TAB | --> "Hide extensions for known file types" Unchecked.. That was for W7 but should be similar for W10.. What a headache MS provided with that option. 

Understood thanks

23 minutes ago, gramaticus said:

The main reason I installed it to a non 😄 drive is the size of the disc - my F drive is 1.5TB, whereas my C drive is smaller and didn't have the capacity for it.

If addons are handled correctly, the P3D folder will always have the same size. You can install all your addons on the F drive. Unfortunately there are still developers who cling to the "old ways". Products of those developers (like ORBX or PMDG) can only be moved manually after installation, and referenced by using the MKLINK command (so their management tools still think that they are in the original location).

The default installation location is the only one that has ever been tested by the manufacturer. As a rule, I always try to stick to that.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Yes, but I still say count em up:  I should have known how snippy Forum some members get when anyone derides their pet sim... 

I also failed to mention the extra costs involved in purchasing  the LM fight sim, as well as much, much higher payware costs.  I myself have spent many hundreds of dollars over the past four years on payware for FSX.  To change fight sims at this point would border on insanity...