Currently running i7-2600 k oc to about 4.4 w gtx 970

lookong to upgrade to i7-8700k and rtx ? 2070

1. Any recs for a good mobo (what features / brands should I be looking for) and

2. should I go 2070 or 2080?

(not running 4k btw)

thanks!

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

11 hours ago, Purr said:

1. Any recs for a good mobo (what features / brands should I be looking for) and

Rather than 8700K... have you considered 8086K? It's basically a binned 8700K, so you should achieve lower voltage for, lets say, 5 GHz or more. Personally, when building a new system, I tend to go for the latest platform. So i would say also check out the 9700K and other 9 series parts. 

I'm still a fan of Asus boards. 

Depends on your budget of course. 

On 2/17/2019 at 8:01 PM, Purr said:

Currently running i7-2600 k oc to about 4.4 w gtx 970

2. should I go 2070 or 2080?

(not running 4k btw)

thanks!

Why not a 9700K?  Motherboards are a very personalized purchase.  Do your research and decide what features u absolutely need and go from there.  My Z390 preference is Gigabyte.  The Aorus pro WiFi is a great board.  Lots of features, overclocks well, and is priced well.  But having said that I have used Asrock and Asus boards on many past builds.  I found both of those to be excellent boards also.

Matt Wilson

+1 on the 9700k with an Asus board. You're only talking about a few percent better performance from the 8086k, plus you get 2 extra cores with the 9700k for slightly less money. If you're building new, I'd always go for the latest generation CPU/MB unless there's an overwhelming reason to pick something older (much cheaper or much better performance).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Asus z390 Prime A or z370 Prime A. They’re fantastic, very good overclocking performance and stability. It’s also reasonably priced.

Go for the RTX 2070 (good for 1440p resolution).

For cpu, id suggest 8600k or 9600k. Overclock it to 5ghz, and you will get amazing performance.

Asus Strix X570-E  |  Ryzen 9 5950X  |  Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC  |  GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600  |  Samsung 970 EVO  |  Acer Predator XB271HU  |  Windows 10 Pro