Sign in to follow this  
Fox21

Flight Sim. X

Hello:

I used to be quite good with Flight Simulator prior to 2006 and then X came out. Then real life happened, and I have been away from it since. I found my 2006 version of FSX while I was sorting out old software, but did not try to use it.

I tried all afternoon to purchase a newer version without luck.

I would be using a HP Curved screen, all in one, "envy", with an i5 chip and I think about 16 mb of memory. I tried to purchase something through MS and felt it was a futile effort.

It seems clear that I need new software. I do have a very nice "extreme 30 Pro" Logitec stick 

If someone could give me some advice on getting started, please?

Much peace

Fox21

If you are looking to get back into simming your options are dovetails FS Steam , often on sale and an updated version of Microsoft's FSX

P3D 4.4 is a better option for a number of reasons but considerably more expensive and X-Plane of course has its devotees .

Welcome Back to the left seat !

Best CJ

11 hours ago, Fox21 said:

with an i5 chip and I think about 16 mb of memory

16mb of memory is not very much.  Think you mean 16GB?  Your smartest move with an i5 would be FSX-SE (only about $25 and it includes everything up to FSX/Acceleration).  I would not recommend P3DV4 with an i5 chip.  It will probably work but you won't get too much enjoyment.

• Like 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just to throw my 2 cents into the pot......I have FSX Standard Edition on my flimsy, under powered computer and it runs just fine.  What would be the worst that could happen by using what you have?

Welcome to the AVSIM forums and back to flight sim.:happy:

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thank you for the welcome and the input. My HP Envy has an i5 chip, and I have an unused Dell inspiron with an i3 chip. It is purportedly a "gaming" computer.

Jim, yes you are right. It is 16gb. 🙂

Actually, I'm a very elderly writer, and most definitely not a computer "geek", so this may take me some time. Is there an online place to purchase the software mentioned? I'm in Portland, oregon and it seems dead as far as computer software is concerned.

Purchase FSX-SE here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

Keep in mind that this is a download file.  Nothing really sold as a hard copy any more.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

43 minutes ago, Fox21 said:

So, will my USB joystick work?

If you are using something like Windows 7, your Logitech Extreme 30 Pro joystick should work with it although you will probably have to calibrate its settings within FSX which is not difficult. I am not however sure whether this piece of hardware works with Windows 10 but perhaps someone else could advise you on this. 

Bill

X Plane is on disk and or download...I have the disks. Oh by the way...you're not alone...I'm technically challenged myself...definitely not a wizard...I ask the stupid questions...the questions everyone else is to ashamed to.

Edited by Will273

I really have to recommend FSX-SE I've tried XPlane 10 and 11, and I have P3D versions 2,3, and 4 but I still fly with FSX-SE the most.  In my opinion it still has the best support be it unofficial, the best aircraft and the best scenery, and for me I have to say it runs the best.  XPlane is improving but it's still unpolished and has its problems, P3D feels like FSX only with slower frame rates and all of the fun taken out of it.  FSX-SE is still like that fun old friend that you like to hang out with at the sports bar, P3D is like going out with your wife and mother in law.  You're still at the sports bar but there's zero fun factor there.

I have an Extreme 3D Pro joystick and it works perfectly fine in Windows 10, I also use an Xbox 360 controller which also works great with FSX, in my opinion it's much better than a joystick for FSX. 

Edited by brad536