Hello:

I used to be quite good with Flight Simulator prior to 2006 and then X came out. Then real life happened, and I have been away from it since. I found my 2006 version of FSX while I was sorting out old software, but did not try to use it.

I tried all afternoon to purchase a newer version without luck.

I would be using a HP Curved screen, all in one, "envy", with an i5 chip and I think about 16 mb of memory. I tried to purchase something through MS and felt it was a futile effort.

It seems clear that I need new software. I do have a very nice "extreme 30 Pro" Logitec stick 

If someone could give me some advice on getting started, please?

Much peace

Fox21

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you are looking to get back into simming your options are dovetails FS Steam , often on sale and an updated version of Microsoft's FSX

P3D 4.4 is a better option for a number of reasons but considerably more expensive and X-Plane of course has its devotees .

Welcome Back to the left seat !

Best CJ

11 hours ago, Fox21 said:

with an i5 chip and I think about 16 mb of memory

16mb of memory is not very much.  Think you mean 16GB?  Your smartest move with an i5 would be FSX-SE (only about $25 and it includes everything up to FSX/Acceleration).  I would not recommend P3DV4 with an i5 chip.  It will probably work but you won't get too much enjoyment.

• Like 1

Just to throw my 2 cents into the pot......I have FSX Standard Edition on my flimsy, under powered computer and it runs just fine.  What would be the worst that could happen by using what you have?

Welcome to the AVSIM forums and back to flight sim.:happy:

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the welcome and the input. My HP Envy has an i5 chip, and I have an unused Dell inspiron with an i3 chip. It is purportedly a "gaming" computer.

Jim, yes you are right. It is 16gb. 🙂

Actually, I'm a very elderly writer, and most definitely not a computer "geek", so this may take me some time. Is there an online place to purchase the software mentioned? I'm in Portland, oregon and it seems dead as far as computer software is concerned.

43 minutes ago, Fox21 said:

So, will my USB joystick work?

If you are using something like Windows 7, your Logitech Extreme 30 Pro joystick should work with it although you will probably have to calibrate its settings within FSX which is not difficult. I am not however sure whether this piece of hardware works with Windows 10 but perhaps someone else could advise you on this. 

Bill

X Plane is on disk and or download...I have the disks. Oh by the way...you're not alone...I'm technically challenged myself...definitely not a wizard...I ask the stupid questions...the questions everyone else is to ashamed to.

Edited by Will273