Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

The Concorde would have been 50 Today

Perhaps I am biased, but, rightly or wrongly, I regard Concorde as the zenith of airliner development and, although I can understand the reasons behind its withdrawal, I still can’t help feeling that the airline industry took a step backwards on the sad day of its final commercial flight. I guess I am looking at it through ‘rose-tinted glasses’ but even so it is one of the few iconic airliners withdrawn from service without a replacement in sight.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is a great testament to the French and British engineers that they succeeded where Boeing’s failed. President Kennedy wanted an even faster SST carrying more passengers and threw down the gauntlet to America’s best. Boeing pulled out and the rest is history.

Another remarkable fact. Air needed slowing from supersonic speeds to sub-sonic in just 11 feet. Concorde’s engineers managed that with the variable ramp system at the front of each engine. No ramp and the engines flame out. Clever, very clever.

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It is a great testament to the French and British engineers that they succeeded where Boeing’s failed.

Even more remarkable when you consider that they accomplished this using technology from the 50s/early 60s creating an airliner which was still without an equal and was still still carrying revenue passengers beyond the millennium! Truly amazing engineering!

Bill

• Like 2

Here's a possible and realistic look into the future of super sonic commercial flight:

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/2016/webt-supersonic-flight-hush-sonic-boom.html

Here's my take.  By the time this tech reaches fruition in the commercial market, the future fuel costs associated with such SS commercial flight may possibly render it impractical for that market.

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I'll play the devil's advocate on that to offer another take. By the time this tech reaches fruition so many people may be driving electric cars that there will be plenty of fuel for aviation. Either way it is exciting and I hope to see it reach fruition.

Since Lockheed Martin is involved it would be nice to see a model show up in P3D.

But back on topic, Concorde (had to erase "the" :biggrin:) certainly is an engineering marvel and beautiful at that, especially considering how long ago it was designed and without computers.

Ted

Edited by Ted Striker

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

EVs will overrun the market in less than 5 years. Asia and Europe will see to that. Other than Tesla, the US will be left behind.

Hopefully you are right!

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It's not a climate change-related prediction. EVs are simpler to maintain, quieter and more powerful. Once consumers overcome their fear of having to plug in every 5 minutes, they will realize that ICEVs are as old fashioned as the rotary telephone.

How did we get from Concorde to electric vehicles? 🙁

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sorry Ray, looks I started the drift :blush:

Too bad the FSLabs P3Dv4 version of Concorde isn't ready, the 50th anniversary would have been a great time to release it. Regardless, it will be worth the wait.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I’ll let you off Ted ‘cos you’re a good bloke! 😉

I’m not flying her at the moment because although the PC is the dog’s wotsits having to run a UHD monitor at 1920*1080 is doing nothing for image clarity which is really frustrating.

They’re still working on it along with various Airbuses so I haven’t a clue when it will be released. It’s a year now since Lefteris sent out invites asking who would be prepared to pay 100GBP for it and they must have had enough replies to justify the work. I live in hope.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Whew, Thanks Ray :laugh:

I run the FSLab Concorde in UHD but I turn down the scenery detail and don't have addon airports loaded. I trade the scenery detail for UHD clarity. I'm still a rookie in it so my eyes are mostly focused on the panel anyway, especially during takeoff, climbs, descents, and landings. I can make it from London to New York but it is close to the VAS limit and has dinged at me a couple times. I pause and save the flight at transition points just in case though. I don't think I have used the Concorde since I swapped out my 780GTX for a 1080ti and don't know if the 1080ti, which has a lot more VRAM, will use more VAS. 

Ted

Ted, I’m amazed to read you can run it at UHD and not run out of VAS. You must have all the sliders to the left.

I have Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended and FSDT JFK so there’s no way I could run in UHD. I’ll just have to be patient.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

About medium settings and only FTX Global. ORBX airports and regions are disabled when I fly Concorde. All my large addon airports by other vendors are in P3Dv4 with GEP3D and UTX.

Ted

Reverting to default airports would ruin the immersion factor for me on the LHR-JFK route but I’ll go to a default airport and see how it copes in UHD.

I have FTX Global and UT but those don’t affect VAS.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather