Sign in to follow this  
jb747

any news from Denver?

Hello !! Any fsx news from Ifc Denver , photos, videos , anything ????brds

Hi,I was at the IFC conference in Denver. We had a good 90 minute discussion with 3 of the FS developers / program manager there. There were times when they couldn't say much, but significant emphasis was made on the point of D3D10 (DX10) which will become available with Vista (although no hardware yet supports it). We saw a shot of Glacier park in MT (which is the default desktop for Vista, replaces the green fields of XP), then the same shot from FSX with DX9, then FSX with a software rendering of DX10. All were still frames. The difference between 9 and 10 is absolutely incredible. Swells in the river actually appearing as they do in real life. I have been thinking of upgrading hardware for Vista/FSX, and while I might do something for a motherboard and RAM, it would be throwing $$ away to buy a video card now, as there's no backwards compatibility to 9. This is the first time that MS have broken the legacy chain to prior api's, as they said "Legacy drags you down" (they kept repeating that often throughout the conference too....).I did get to play on a feature-limited demo, but what I saw didn't make me jump up and down too much- but they are obviously saving the best to last! Lots of references to features that they couldn't talk about.If there was one time at the Q&A that they let a cat out of the bag it was this- someone asked if there would be a G-1000 equipped Cessna. They looked at each other, stammered a bit, and gave a rather weak answer like "MS has always had a good relationship with Garmin,..." and definitely gave me the impression that something might be there on the G-1000. A lot of this was body language, so very subjective. They did give October as the release date. They discussed the current beta, and features- while defined- are still being incorporated and unincorporated in the current betas. I got the idea that they were nowhere near ready- but I guess October is still a ways off.... you guys at the AVSIM show may see a lot more than we did.Most of this won't be news to anyone here. I did win an AMD 4800+ X2 Dual Core CPU, which I took instead of the $800 ATI video card, since my understanding is that the video card won't do much with FSX if I want to run DX10.Bruce.

Thanks Bruce for the information! It all helps, and we are all FSX info starved. Congratulations on the PC win.RH

..and just to add (message editing is expired on my prior post), that multiple threading will be supported for those with a dual-core device.One of the comments was- if you have a weak spot in your system, FSX will find it, if you have all the sliders maxed out. But then I think we've always seen that with FS anyway :)Bruce.

"you guys at the AVSIM show may see a lot more than we did."Well, I can't give out any details of course, but given the timing of the Convention, it should be obvious that attendees will either see the gold release candidate or the final product. The fact that we are giving away 400 free copies should also say something pretty substantial, and the fact that the MS team will be speaking all day Sunday of the event about the release, technology and all the other great things about FSX that can't be discussed now - four hours worth plus an hour Q&A. Anyway, we'll let you draw your own conclusions. :)

but significant emphasis was made on the point of D3D10 (DX10) which will become available with Vista (although no hardware yet supports it). We saw a shot of Glacier park in MT (which is the default desktop for Vista, replaces the green fields of XP), then the same shot from FSX with DX9, then FSX with a software rendering of DX10. All were still frames. The difference between 9 and 10 is absolutely incredibleAll the more reason for me to wait until DX10 hardware is out before upgrading the computer and buying FSX.

Eric 

>Most of this won't be news to anyone here. I did win an AMD>4800+ X2 Dual Core CPU, which I took instead of the $800 ATI>video card, since my understanding is that the video card>won't do much with FSX if I want to run DX10.VERY smart move there IMO Bruce...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest BMI701EGCC

so the harbour image we have seen (DX10) is true then?

>If there was one time at the Q&A that they let a cat out of>the bag it was this- someone asked if there would be a G-1000>equipped Cessna.Keep in mind Bruce, that even though there may be a G1000 in FSX, it would be nothing much more than a re-dressed G500 insofar as the GPS portion is concerned, and will - without any doubt - be entirely XML based, since the nice folks at ACES seem to have concluded that the future lies in XML... ...seemingly oblivious to the fact that serious, advanced systems programming is completely impossible using only XML. *:-*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Tom,Too bad that I can't make the AVSIM convention this year- and while any convention in my local area is too tough to pass up, I missed you guys! :)Bruce.

Thanks for everyone's responses......Bruce.

Bruce, we may yet come back to Denver. Our friends at UAL and we do keep in touch and there may be another great Level D sim weekend in the future.

Tom -They announced that their annual U.S. conference will be in Denver henceforth!Scott