Sign in to follow this  
snomhf

X-ATC-Chatter confusion

Hi Dave,

I just purchased X-ATC-Chatter this morning and have been trying to install it in Pilot2ATC.   I have carefully read the manuals for both products and after several hours of effort, there appears to be only ONE way to set this up.  I'm hoping to get some clarification on this.

Here is the only way I've been able to get this to work:

1. Copy "C:\X-ATC-Chatter\Regions\United States\Controllers" to "C:\Pilot2ATC_2018_x64\ATC_Chatter"
  2. Set the Root Folder = "C:\Pilot2ATC_2018_x64\Sounds" (or leave the field blank)
  3. Check the "Controller Files" radio box

If it is true that this is the only way to set this up then I suppose all the other "options" only apply to other than X-ATC-Chatter customers.   I am still very confused on that.  Apparently, I should have known to ignore all that and just do the three steps that work.   Trying to use the "Root Folder" and the other radio buttons only results in frustration and hours of wasted effort.   I have literally spent ALL MORNING on this!

Here are the failed attempts that I have made (the first seems very logical to me since I purchased the X-ATC-Chatter product and use the structure EXACTLY as shipped.

(1) Point to the files directly

• Unzip X-ATC-Chatter.zip to C:\X-ATC-Chatter
  • Set the Root Folder = "C:\X-ATC-Chatter\Regions\United States"
  • Set radio button "Sound Source" to "Controller Files"

This ABSOLUTELY should work!   The next directory under "United States" is "Controllers" which is exactly what the Root Folder is expecting so   $RootDir/Controllers should be a valid pathname.   I was shocked this didn't work.

(2) Like (1) except I wanted to set things up so I would get chatter anywhere in the world I fly:

• Set the Root Folder = "C:\X-ATC-Chatter\Regions"
  • Set radio button "Sound Source" to "Country Files"

Obviously this had no chance of working since (1) did not work but when I was still naive about this,  it sure made sense to me that this should work.

(3) Simlink the "Controllers" directory from X-ATC-Chatter to Pilot2ATC.

This would maintain a single copy of the files on my system making updates to the files simple to maintain.   I did not try using a hard link (junction) and I suspect that would have worked but I don't like to use those since Windows 10 doesn't reveal where they point and this confuses me looking back months later.  It was disappointing that this did not work as my hopes to prevent duplication of data quickly disappeared.

(4) Still hanging on to the notion that you were building a pathname from $RootFolder/Controllers,  I tried editing the AppConfig.xml file directly manually setting the RootATCChatterFolder setting to other places but finally realized that was not working either.

I apologize that my frustration is showing here.   This is really good software and I certainly do not regret buying it.   I'm just disappointed that after apparently seeing all these "configuration options" to finally discover that there are no options at all!  Please correct me on any misunderstandings.   I just want to take full advantage of my $60.

thanks

-mark

• Like 1

Aficionado of MSFS, X-Plane12, Aces High, Wings Over Flanders Fields

i7-9700k@5.0GHz, Nvidia RTX 4070ti(12GB), Z390 AORUS MB, 64GB DDR4, 2TB SSD(560MB/s), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR5

You do sound rather snarky.   Maybe you should take a nap!

i7-9700k@5.0GHz, Nvidia RTX 4070ti(12GB), Z390 AORUS MB, 64GB DDR4, 2TB SSD(560MB/s), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR5

6 minutes ago, snomhf said:

You do sound rather snarky.   Maybe you should take a nap!

Are we talking about ourself??:blink:

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Scary huh?

On 4/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, snomhf said:

Hi Dave,

I just purchased X-ATC-Chatter this morning and have been trying to install it in Pilot2ATC.   I have carefully read the manuals for both products and after several hours of effort, there appears to be only ONE way to set this up.  I'm hoping to get some clarification on this.

Here is the only way I've been able to get this to work:

1. Copy "C:\X-ATC-Chatter\Regions\United States\Controllers" to "C:\Pilot2ATC_2018_x64\ATC_Chatter"
  2. Set the Root Folder = "C:\Pilot2ATC_2018_x64\Sounds" (or leave the field blank)
  3. Check the "Controller Files" radio box

If it is true that this is the only way to set this up then I suppose all the other "options" only apply to other than X-ATC-Chatter customers.   I am still very confused on that.  Apparently, I should have known to ignore all that and just do the three steps that work.   Trying to use the "Root Folder" and the other radio buttons only results in frustration and hours of wasted effort.   I have literally spent ALL MORNING on this!

Here are the failed attempts that I have made (the first seems very logical to me since I purchased the X-ATC-Chatter product and use the structure EXACTLY as shipped.

(1) Point to the files directly

• Unzip X-ATC-Chatter.zip to C:\X-ATC-Chatter
  • Set the Root Folder = "C:\X-ATC-Chatter\Regions\United States"
  • Set radio button "Sound Source" to "Controller Files"

This ABSOLUTELY should work!   The next directory under "United States" is "Controllers" which is exactly what the Root Folder is expecting so   $RootDir/Controllers should be a valid pathname.   I was shocked this didn't work.

(2) Like (1) except I wanted to set things up so I would get chatter anywhere in the world I fly:

• Set the Root Folder = "C:\X-ATC-Chatter\Regions"
  • Set radio button "Sound Source" to "Country Files"

Obviously this had no chance of working since (1) did not work but when I was still naive about this,  it sure made sense to me that this should work.

(3) Simlink the "Controllers" directory from X-ATC-Chatter to Pilot2ATC.

This would maintain a single copy of the files on my system making updates to the files simple to maintain.   I did not try using a hard link (junction) and I suspect that would have worked but I don't like to use those since Windows 10 doesn't reveal where they point and this confuses me looking back months later.  It was disappointing that this did not work as my hopes to prevent duplication of data quickly disappeared.

(4) Still hanging on to the notion that you were building a pathname from $RootFolder/Controllers,  I tried editing the AppConfig.xml file directly manually setting the RootATCChatterFolder setting to other places but finally realized that was not working either.

I apologize that my frustration is showing here.   This is really good software and I certainly do not regret buying it.   I'm just disappointed that after apparently seeing all these "configuration options" to finally discover that there are no options at all!  Please correct me on any misunderstandings.   I just want to take full advantage of my $60.

thanks

-mark

Did you figure out or just lose interest?

Btw does X-Chatter work for P3Dv5?

Thanks.

Yes, X-ATC_Chatter works with all SIMs that P2A works with, including P3Dv5.

As for setup, there are many options that do not have anything to do with X-ATC_Chatter, as explained in the User's Guide.

X-ATC_Chatter is the simplest of all to set up.

1. Copy the full Regions folder from the X-ATC_Chatter download to the <P2AInstallFolder>\Sounds\ATC_Chatter folder.  This way you will have all the regions and files you downloaded instead of just one country.

2. Clear the Root Folder setting in P2A's Sounds Config tab since you have the standard folder setup.

3. Check the Controllers Folder mode for the Sound Source.

4. Set the Min and Max Playback Pause Time and check the Pause Between File Playback option

5. Check the Play Chatter option

6. Turn on the Com Radio and tune to a valid local frequency like Ground, Tower, etc. and listen to the chatter

finally i get to work chatter with pilot2atc on fs2020 , but the chatter sound is too low, how can o increase it? i can't see the option at de p2a config thanks, 

The chatter volume control is in the Comm Radio panel.  It will pop up when you click on the Comm Standby Frequency.  This popup can be used to adjust the volume and to change the Comm frequency manually.

Dave

Nothing happens when I click on the Comm Standby Freq. I'm using version 2.6..3. Thanks!

Jim Boerman

The window opens, but Windows does not display it on an available screen.  Here's how to fix this Windows problem:

1)    After pressing the Stby Com Freq, Hover over the P2A icon on the Taskbar. There should be multiple windows and one is the Radio Freq window
2)    Hover over that window and a larger thumbnail of the window should show
3)    Right-click that larger thumbnail
4)    Select Move
5)    Hold down the Right Arrow key on the keyboard until the program comes into view
6)    If that doesn’t work, hold down the left arrow
7)    Once the window is in view, use the mouse to move it to the desired location.
😎  Shut down Pilot2ATC so the location will be remembered.

• Upvote 1

Pilot2ATC documentation is outtated. It took me a while to set up chatters with Regions. It is actually pretty straightforward but if you read the doc you get confused.

The doc explains how to setup per country folder with Country codes. But now you can simply extract the "Regions" folder from Chatter and that's it!

"Controllers folder" must be checked, I think it is by default. 

1 hour ago, titime said:

Pilot2ATC documentation is outtated

Yeah, the manual that you can download from the P2A website is not up to date, but the documentation in your P2A installation (Pilot2ATC_2020_x64\Documentation\04.0  User Guide - Features, Functions + Operation.pdf) is:

"If, however, you want to implement the Regions of X-ATC Chatter, copy the Regions folder and all of its contents to the ATC_Chatter Folder."

Dirk