Sign in to follow this  
cgbart

FS X - Single-Core vs. Dual - Video Card vs. Processor

Hi all,I'm building a new FS box and I'm trying to decide on where I should spend my money. I have two questions pertaining to how FS X will use hardware:1. Should I go with single-core or a dual-core chip?I can obviously get a 'faster' (higher clock speed) single core chip for the same price as a slower dual-core. But my inkling is that dual is the way of the future and Vista will really take advantage of this. If there are any Microsoft developers (or other knowledgeable folks) hanging around that could lend some insight on whether or not FS X will take advantage of a dual-core chip, and to what extent the benefit would be, I'd love to hear it.2. If I can only 'splurge' on one, should I buy a top-of-the-line video card or a top-of-the-line processor?I'm not sure of the issues involved with this one, but I'm interested to see what people suggest I splurge on.Thanks so much,Matt Smith

Matthew Smith | Priority Left Consulting
www.priorityleft.com

Guest tdragger

FSX will take advatnage of all the hardware you can throw at it. ;) Since we don't do benchmarking it's hard to make general statements about which is better.

You really want to wait for Intel's Conroe CPU, go with DDR2 memory and a motherboard that can support it. After all that, choose your GPU based on driver interaction with FSX. Obviously buying before FSX is available will be a bit tough but wait at least until the Fall if possible to see if your videocard will be able to support D3DX10. Most new cards now support shader model 3 but I don't believe FS will be using that.That above setup will set you back over a grand but will deliver one great computing experience for you that will last.:-)

Hoping For CAVU --- Chris

Exactly, I would not buy now. I am waiting for the Intel Conroe vs. AMD AM2 benchmarks come out; each show drive down the cost of the other and help increase the level of technology overall. It will be a minimun of 6 months before I buy.RH

Keep in mind that if you buy a top of the line video card now, it will not be able to handle DX10 when Vista is released (no DX10 cards yet available). Best to stick with your current card until DX10 is released and then decide about that.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest skruer

You guys are absolutly right and I'll do the same as you. In this case its a good idea to wait for new hardware ie. DX10 graphics cards.

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

For years I've read somewhere that FS takes advantage of the CPU, rather than the GFX card, compared to other entertainment titles, however I get the impression that since FS2000 things have changed, that its the gfx card that makes a bigger difference.I would ask:If performance and smoothness is vital, then a dual-core CPU is better suited to your needs. (FSX uses multi-threads(if I'm not mistaken))If visuals are your thing, then a better GFX card. (Wait for the Nvidia 7800 to fall in price)At any rate, I agree with others here, wait at least until FSX is released even though it's tempting to go out and buy now.

> 1. Should I go with single-core or a dual-core chip?Dual core! How else can you run flight sim, check the news and burn a CD at the same time? ;)> 2. If I can only 'splurge' on one, should I buy a top-of-the-line video card or a top-of-the-line processor?Wait to check if the Vista patch supports DX10. If so, the video card should be alot more important. By waiting you can save for both anyway.

Definitely dual-core...that's the way of the future anyhow. Go to extremetech.com and check out some cpu and gpu benchmarks. They actually use FS9 and you can clearly see that gpu makes not much difference in FPS when it comes to it, but FS scales with the cpu. That's why I still run an ATI 9800pro 128mb, my fps suffer at times, but the visuals are great. My cpu is an P4-3.0 on an ASUS m/b with 1gig ram. I'm betting on Conroe...btw...extremetech, anandtech and tomshardware all have good reviews and benchmarks on cpu's and gpu's. Even initial tests have shown beta Conroe's running around 2.0ghz to outperform overclocked AMD FX60's!!!!!!! The Fall should be pretty exciting for hardware and software! :-)

Hoping For CAVU --- Chris