Sign in to follow this  
CaptainSaint

scenery.cfg limit

Hello!

I have seen other people having this same problem, that the scenery.cfg is capped at 1099 entries. If you add the 1100th entry, then P3D crashes on startup. Is there a reason for that? Could it be removed somehow or in the next hotfix?

Best wishes!

All of them aren't loaded, most of them are inactive. I have a lot of freeware sceneries and different regions.

1100 entries...?? Holy Moses, I have dozens of payware scenery add on airports, plus the full suite of ORBX FTX products, a freeware party mesh add on, and a couple of dozen freeware airport sceneries, and my scenery cfg is still under 250 entries.

All I can ask is, why aren't you using the addon.xml method? I assume it wouldn't be bound to this 1100 entries limit...

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Yeah, that doesn't have the limit, but all of my sceneries are in the scenery,cfg and it would be hard to convert them over, even with AddonOrganizer. And it's much easier to sort, find and enable sceneries when needed, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CaptainSaint said:

it would be hard to convert them over, even with AddonOrganizer

You can move multiple scenery areas to an addon.xml at the same time. You can have any number of components in a package, so you could for example create an add-on.xml for every continent or one for each developer or… Generally speaking there is no need to convert them - just add all new ones as addon packages. If that works at all. There is no telling if that 1100 number is an attribute of only the scenery.cfg or if it is limiting the scenery library as a whole. You should test that first, by adding a couple of new sceneries as a proper addon package when your scenery.cfg is "full".

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

5 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

You can move multiple scenery areas to an addon.xml at the same time. You can have any number of components in a package, so you could for example create an add-on.xml for every continent or one for each developer or… Generally speaking there is no need to convert them - just add all new ones as addon packages. If that works at all. There is no telling if that 1100 number is an attribute of only the scenery.cfg or if it is limiting the scenery library as a whole. You should test that first, by adding a couple of new sceneries as a proper addon package when your scenery.cfg is "full".

Best regards

How can I move multiple areas to addon.xml? I'd like my sceneries to be in one location, so I don't want some sceneries in the addon.xml format and some in scenery.cfg. I know that addon.xml doesn't have the 1100 cap.

15 minutes ago, CaptainSaint said:

How can I move multiple areas to addon.xml

Edit: Create a Backup with P4AO before you proceed.

Activate Multi Select - check the desired entries - right click context menu - "Move selected"

P4AO user manual, chapter 3.3.1. Please read chapter 3.2 too, it is very important.

It doesn't matter where the addon reference is located. Once the sim compiles the scenery index, there is no difference anymore.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

12 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Activate Multi Select - check the desired entries - right click context menu - "Move selected"

P4AO user manual, chapter 3.3.1. Please read chapter 3.2 too, it is very important.

It doesn't matter where the addon reference is located. Once the sim compiles the scenery index, there is no difference anymore.

Best regards

Is there an option to add them automatically to separate addon.xml files? Because when I chose all of my sceneries, it only allowed to add them to one addon.xml.

44 minutes ago, CaptainSaint said:

Is there an option to add them automatically to separate addon.xml files? Because when I chose all of my sceneries, it only allowed to add them to one addon.xml.

No. 

IMO creating an addon.xml for every single scenery is not advisable. Initially there was a hard limit of about 30 packages. While this has been lifted, I retained the feeling that having too many package definitions could potentially cause problems. But it would be possible to implement it in P4AO of course.

Again, before you proceed, please create a Backup first. Anything could happen with a library that big.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 2

LORBY-SI

52 minutes ago, CaptainSaint said:

Is there an option to add them automatically to separate addon.xml files?

There is now - in version 1.41 there is a second option on the MultiMove dialogs' add-on.xml selection "Split into individual packages".

I still strongly advise against doing it that way, please note my previous post.

And don't forget the backup. (I know I keep posting this - but these operations are inherently dangerous. You are running the very real risk of losing everything in your library and screwing up your configuration for good when not careful).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Some of us are just stubborn. I still use the scenery.cfg method, as I want to be able to sort the scenery entries as required from within the simulator.......although the ORBx FTX Central habit of shoving all ORBx entries to the top of the list is rather annoying :angry: I have a current total of 322 entries, but that should drop below 300 when ORBx TrueEarth GB Central is released (and I can delete the 30 entries occupied by PlayHorizon UK VFR Photographic Scenery England and Wales).

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

No. 

IMO creating an addon.xml for every single scenery is not advisable. Initially there was a hard limit of about 30 packages. While this has been lifted, I retained the feeling that having too many package definitions could potentially cause problems. But it would be possible to implement it in P4AO of course.

Again, before you proceed, please create a Backup first. Anything could happen with a library that big.

Best regards

Is there any particular reason not to make separate packages? besides a retained feeling... My library has grown 'organically' with the installation of more sceneries, all of which I have added manually in P4AO as separate packages. I have no idea how many packages there re, but I'd guess over a 100. I don't have any issues, but if you think I might get problem sin the long run, I might consider merging packages.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case