Sign in to follow this  
D_Johnstone

Which of these PCs will run FSX:SE the best?

Hi,

I am new to the Avsim forums. I would like to install FSX:SE on one of the two following computers that I have spare.

Option 1: Toshiba Satellite L755-154 Laptop

CPU: Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.3GHz

RAM: 6GB (Although I would be happy to upgrade this to the maximum supported RAM of 8GB)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT525M

Option 2: RM Expert 3030 Tower

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

RAM: 4GB (Again, I would be happy to upgrade this to the maximum supported RAM of 8GB)

GPU: None as of yet (currently it runs on graphics built into the motherboard), however I would possibly consider a budget HDMI-capable card to get me started

I am really struggling to decide which system would be the better option for running FSX:SE. I understand that both of the two options are now quite old models (Vista/7 era) and I have a limited budget so a new system is out of the question. What I would like to know is which of the two options would run FSX:SE the best. I run the following add-ons:

PMDG 737

PMDG 777

Majestic Dash-8 Q400

Aerosoft Airbus X Extended

UK2000 Birmingham and Bristol scenery

As mentioned in the specs above, I could probably stretch the budget to allow for a few minor upgrades to the systems.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dominic

1 hour ago, DJohnstone said:

Option 1: Toshiba Satellite L755-154 Laptop

CPU: Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.3GHz

RAM: 6GB (Although I would be happy to upgrade this to the maximum supported RAM of 8GB)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT525M

Dominic - Based solely on the choices you offer, Option 1 should be better.  A more modern CPU, a dedicated GPU, and faster RAM  position this option as the better choice.  The on-board graphics solution in Option 2 is a non-starter. 

Because of the age of the hardware, you won't be able to run with high settings, but you should still be able to enjoy FSX:SE.  More RAM is almost always better, so I'd go ahead and add the extra 2GB to bring your total to 8GB (I'm assuming here that you are running a 64-bit OS so you can use all the RAM).

Just my $0.02.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

@DJohnstone

Hi

First of all, fsx requires a processor with a high performance mononucleus, on the other hand, FSX can be executed perfectly with only 6GB, 4GB for FSX, at least 2GB for the operating system, it is preferable to use a 64bit operating system, finally FSX uses more the processor than the graphic card, therefore it is not required a very powerful graphics card.

I think you should use the laptop because its mononucleus performance is superior, it is a 64 bit CPU, therefore it uses a 64bit operating system, you have 6GB of RAM installed and finally the graphics card may be enough to move the simulator with low graphics settings.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-2410M-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9550/796vs1049

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/es/es/ark/products/52224/intel-core-i5-2410m-processor-3m-cache-up-to-2-90-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/es/es/ark/products/33924/intel-core-2-quad-processor-q9550-12m-cache-2-83-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

However, I recommend that you use the msi afterburner to monitor your laptop, especially the temperatures because your cpu will be forced, on the other hand, if you want to use the pmdg products, you will be able to use them but the airbus extended demands a minimum processor. 3Ghz and a 2 Gb graphics card, so you can not use it.

I do not know what version of Q400 you want to use but the pilot version has fewer resources than the professional version

PMDG 737 // 777

Hardware: Dual Core, 2.5 GHz or faster, 4 GB of RAM, A video card with at least 1 GB of VRAM, DirectX 9 compatible Nvidia or ATI card. Onboard motherboard or CPU video is not supported. Some of the newer Intel designs may work but we cannot guarantee compatibility

Airbus Extended

System requirements:
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP2, Acceleration Pack, Gold Edition or Steam Edition) or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v3
Windows 7 / 8 / 10 (all fully updated) (64 bit version highly recommended)
3.0 GHz processor (Dual Core processor or equivalent system recommended)
6 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)
Mouse with mouse wheel (please note the controller and mouse with mouse wheel are absolutely needed)
3D Graphics Card with minimal 2 GB (4 GB recommended)

Regards

Ummmm... neither.

Seriously, FSX really needs a fast CPU, preferably 4 cores or more and all cores operating at 3+ GHz.  My old Core2Quad 9650 runs at 3.0 GHz, but I found that overclocking the cores to 3.8 GHz greatly improved performance, especially with add-on aircraft, weather, scenery, and AI aircraft.  As for a graphics card, it really depends upon screen resolution, how much anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering you desire, and if you intend to use multiple monitors.  I get by with an EVGA Nvidia 560 Ti Super Over Clocked card with 1GB of VRAM, but I have to limit the AA and AF.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Even with that choice don't count on running the list of add one you show. Any one of them in the right area will result in a slide show. 

Add one at a time and try s busy airport and you'll see what I mean. Also start with the sliders at a very conservative level. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals