Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Determining if FSX is running normally?

Performance or frame rate wise, is there a test or easy way to check if FSX is running relatively normal? i.e. no glitch program or addon causing an unusual frame rate drop

I know FSXmark07 and 11 exist but they are not realistically feasible since they require a fresh FSX install.

The only performance test I can think of is how does it run for you?  Are you happy with what you see?

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

CPU-AMD 2GHZ  2GB RAM  NVidia Graphics FSX with SP1 and SP2  running Win XP

I don't think such a thing is possible, mostly because the differences between computer platforms is so enormous...CPU, GPU, display, OS, other software etc.

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, 16GB 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 2x1TB Samsung SSD 970Pro NVMe+850 Pro SATA 3, eVGA 1KW PSU

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

It's running properly until you get an error or CTD! 😛

simwestFOTOREAL series
Photoreal scenery you'll want to fly thru, not over

You need a baseline for a fresh good install, then a test to see how an altered system works. Use your Ideal Flight monitor to collect performance data and compare results to the modified setups, is the only software I know of for FSX and P3D. Your version requires you load the data into Excel or similar.Look for glitches in the starting phases of the sim. Install a simconnect log and look for problems:

Example Simconnect.ini goes in the FSX or P3D Docs folder:

[SimConnect]
level=Verbose
console=0

;RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
;OutputDebugString=1
file=C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\SimConnect%01u.Log
;file_next_index=0
file_max_index=9

[Panels]
GaugeDevDebug=1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

FSX being what it is, I guessed there was no easy answer but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Since I don't have THAT many addons installed yet, I ended up just running FSXmark11 most of the evening. Best as I can judge, my numbers seem reasonable. I'm re-amazing how the CPU overclocking speed makes such a huge difference.

Aside, I sure hope MSFS 2020 comes with a benchmark button.

I have to study traces and look at more details on a test harness that guarantees repeatability, that's what IF10 does for you. Simple fps records basically pan out around the same, fps is not an indicator of performance capability. Say you get mean 45 fps, then add more shadows and get 35 fps, then go back to original shadows but add autogen. Two different aspects of the PC come into play with those scenarios that are under test. The plan of attack is not straight forward. That's why it's hard to place performance or compare to another PC. But for serious software development it's crucial to know the effects of a simconnect client or scenery additions, aircraft details, for example.

In this image in Excel, we can see the temperature gradient injected by the weather engine (IF10):

tempgradient.jpg