Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Multiple copies

Guest tdragger

Hey everyone,The recent thread on hi-res scenery got me curious: how many of you have multiple installs of FS2004 and (more importantly) why? Here are some scenarios I thought of. Which ones apply to you? Is there one I left out?- I use a utility like WideView that requires multiple copies.- I develop add-ons and use one machine for testing and another for running.- I play FS at different locations (home, office, laptop).- I have multiple PCs in my house for children/spouse/etc.- N/A: I one run one copy.Feel free to add comments.thanks.

For me..All these three- I use a utility like WideView that requires multiple copies.- I don't develop but for add-ons (freeware) testing before migrating to my main server for running.- I play FS at different locations (home, laptop).

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Aidi

Interesting question..I expect lots of readers practice examples as you have highlighted. Question is, are they going to reveal that they do, knowing that they would likely be in breech of the EULA unless they actually have more than one copy of the actual software. With the question coming direct from a developer, i suspect forthcoming replys might be very limited giving that their nicknames/names are associated with the post.http://www.avsim.com/pages/0100/avsim_sig.jpg

Guest Andre_Hedegaard

I have one copy, but *had* installed it to my laptop, connected to the tv, to check the graphics on the tv vs. monitor.It dosen't look so great, so afterwards uninstalled it again, as my laptop isnt the greatest around and can't take full advantage of FS.As for the future, if we're required to buy multiple copies of FSX in order to run it on 2-4 PC's (for when I'll get busy building a simulator), I honestly cannot say if the temptation would be too great to just get a crack for FSX, or if I'll go out and buy those 2-4 copies.It depends on money, if FSX is priced as other software entertainment, then the probability is I'd buy it. Especially after a few months, when the fuss has died a little, and some vendors come with discounts etc.I believe in a world where honesty and integrity are core ingredients pertaining to a higher form of existence.Therefore I recommend that others who are "afraid" of voicing their opinion on this matter, to feel encouraged, that this thread isn't about policing, but about coming forward and contributing towards a product whose developers are more than keen to take us seriously with regards to how the product will come to be.We all have a common goal and that is to better a product that has served us so well and we are 'blessed' to be -invited- to take active part in the process.

Guest Peter Sidoli

I have a copy in each of my 15 private luxury villas worldwide :-)No just the one on one computer. I am tempted to running a test copy and a final copy when FSX comes along.With all the freeware and payware available very often the addons dont come up to my expectations and are difficult to remove. A test copy would be a good idea before transfer to the main copy To save clogging up the main copy with a load of unwanted junk or problems.Peter

I have two copies. One on the laptop which I rarely use and the other installed twice on the desktop, one experimentally on xp64 which I dont use too often. The main fs is on xp32.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest scottpe

I currently have FS2004 installed on two of my computers at home. Mostly for redundancy (i.e., if a family member is using one system, I can go fly on the other).However, I do plan to build a simulator which will require installation on multiple systems (Wideview) and would be very upset if I had to purchase 4-6 copies of FS in order to do it.

Guest tdragger

I never asked since for all I know every copy could be legit. If they don't want to reply that's okay. It just means we'll have a diminished understanding of how they use the game.

I have three copies on this machine. My "regular" install with all the addons, a complete backup of same, and a default install direct from the CD's. The reason for the backup is obvious and the reason for the default install is that it's just too much of a pain to reload files from the CD's. If that's a EULA issue I'm sure Bill has the resources to find me.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I have two copies on my computer, one for normal stuff, and one for Scenery development work and painting. I also have a copy of Golden Wings on another(kids) computer for the vintage stuff.

I suppose I am the rare case around these parts.I am running one copy, just the one install. I have, oddly enough, a second copy that I bought for my best friend, but he really didn't take to it like I did, and "accidentally" left it here when he went home. So I've been toying with the concept of multi-monitor support or WidevieW, but my hardware option are limited and I am just really starting to get into the "enthusiast" realm of FS.-Brian

2 copies, one on the main FS computer and one clean install on a laptop that can be helpful for default files.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6...development.jpg http://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-proud.jpg

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

Thanks for asking :)4 computers in my den, soon to be 5, with FS on each. Some used for development/testing. A multiview cockpit is planned but not much progress yet. Some very impressive achievements can be seen in the Home Cockpit Forum here on avsim.BTW I was recently very impressed to find out how smoothly FS2004 ran with all sliders hard right on an old Athlon 1100 with an equally old graphics card. None of these frame gobbling add-ons of course. It still looked superb right out of the box. The team did a great job - well done MS.--Bryn

From many of the replies... it looks like there is a need for a Client/Server architecture for the flight sim.:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter