Sign in to follow this  
PilotS

HIFI OR REX?

Hello, everyone

I've got both the HIFI products bundle and the REX products bundle. I use ASP4 as the weather engine, RSF as the cloud texture and model, and the ASCA is for the cloud dynamic function. The question is that

1. REF&ASCA, Which one should I choose or they are all getting well compatible.

2. What're the differences between ASCA and Rex Environment Force

3. Can ASCA take textures from RSF to work or not

Thank you very much!

1. and 2. ASCA changes textures on the fly. REX Environment Force does that as well but it also changes shaders on the fly to make the environment look realistic depending on the prevailing weather conditions. The shader adjustment is the difference between the two. (Though for EF to change textures you need Sky Force but that won't be an issue since you own that). I use EF because I like the automatic shader adjustment and I like the REX cloud textures better, but that is obviously subjective. You can turn automatic cloud texture synchronization off within EF and it will only adjust shaders if you want to keep using ASCA textures.

3. ASCA uses its own textures and has nothing to do with REX.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Niklas Graefe
Prepar3Dv4.5 | ASUS Maximus XI Code Z390 | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2x 8 GB) DDR4 3600 MHz | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6 MSI Lightning Z | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Samsung 43'' 4K curved TV | Agronn 737 Captain's Yoke | FSC 737 Throttle Quadrant | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Really enjoying ASCA in dynamic mode looks awesome at 1440p. I've used REX before but I'm a hifi guy I like the look better. I think it's a personal thing between the two products. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Pete Walsh

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 16gig DDR4 - GTX 2060.

I only use ASCA and ASP4 - no REX. ENVSHADE for shaders. I’m getting great results with it.

It all comes down to personal preference in the end. These days there appears to be some sort of competition of how many addons you can install that basically all do the same and just start conflicting with each other at some point. If you enjoy that, go for it. If like me you rather fly and enjoy that, then keep it simple and just fly...

• Like 2

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

On 7/14/2019 at 5:36 AM, threegreen said:

1. and 2. ASCA changes textures on the fly. REX Environment Force does that as well but it also changes shaders on the fly to make the environment look realistic depending on the prevailing weather conditions.

I currently use REX TDw/SC for static texture load and ASP4 wx engine and PTA. I fly all GA for 1.0 - 1.5 hr max flights. Most of the time the weather and required textures and shaders doesn't vary too much in that scenario so static load of textures has been fine and I like the TDw/SC texture set look.

I have SF & EF but uninstalled after many attempts to get a result I was happy with. EF just seems too hard and too unstable for my liking.  I'll try it again someday...

• Upvote 1

Bruce Buckley | RW Commercial / Instrument / SEL / MEL

I9-9900K @5.0GHz, Maximus XI  Hero, GTX 1080ti, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Saitek/Logitech Pro Yoke, Throttle Q, Rudder Pedals, Switch Panel, WIN10, P3DV4.5, PTA, ASP4, REX TDSC Lots of ORBX stuff and some add on airports / aircraft

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I have just bought and installed Rex Environment Force, I bought Rex Direct with Soft Clouds at the same time, as I didn't have

either that or Sky Force.

I am running Environment Force in its automatic mode and it works perfectly with no input from me at all.

I also run Active Sky for P3D v4.

The solution seems to be to start them in this order.

1. Rex Environment Force.

2. Active Sky for P3D v4

3. P3D v4

4. Just let them all get on with it, they work seamlessly together.

Note 1. if you have run Environment Force and then forget and run P3D with it off, P3D will be in black and white.

Solution: Don't do this. If you have done and wish to run P3D v4 without Environment Force, delete the P3D v4 shaders before you start.

Note 2. there are other programs that amend the shaders and other programs that amend the cloud and sky textures.

Solution: Don't try to use two or more programs that do the same job together, it will end in tears.

Edited by Reader

I currently use REX EF+SF only. I also have ASP4 but I stopped using it because I like to stay within the REX ecosystem and the cloud models are more robust and 'full' with REX SF wx engine. There are some drawbacks like high GPU usage in overcast conditions; but I've managed to get around it by disabling some EF features like the dense cirrus overcast layer, 3d/cirrus cloud morphing. And so far I am quite satisfied with the results. I can't wait for the upcoming weather force add-on.

Romano Lara
8s8fyn-6.png

I use Active Sky 16 with ASCA and select 'Global Automatic'

Ok .. it's only my personal preference but I think HiFi Simulations cloud textures look more realistic

Rex cloud textures look a tad 'cartoony'

Paul

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 1:34 PM, bbuckley said:

I have SF & EF but uninstalled after many attempts to get a result I was happy with. EF just seems too hard and too unstable for my liking.  I'll try it again someday...

There have indeed been some issues with EF but after a round of updates it works fine for most.

The point of the automatic mode of EF really is to launch the application and then leave it alone doing its job. When I fly I do just that and it works fine. The manual tweaking mode can indeed be a bit overwhelming, just like PTA.

Edited by threegreen

Niklas Graefe
Prepar3Dv4.5 | ASUS Maximus XI Code Z390 | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2x 8 GB) DDR4 3600 MHz | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6 MSI Lightning Z | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Samsung 43'' 4K curved TV | Agronn 737 Captain's Yoke | FSC 737 Throttle Quadrant | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals