Brianl

HP Reverb using P3D, Do I Need Steam and How Do I Make it Work?

Recommended Posts

I had a bad experience last year when my new Lenovo Explorer headset firmly refused to work with my P3D sim. I had to send it back for a refund.

Now VR is more mature I'm ready to give it another go and I'm looking seriously at the HP Reverb because of its higher resolution. I'm hoping I'll be able to see detail like the altimeter sub-scale just by leaning forward like I do in the real Cabri G2. But I've seen comments that say although P3D supports WMR well, it needs Steam as well (which I've never used). I'm not sure why I need Steam or what to do to get Steam and then how to use it.

Has anyone succeeded in doing what I'm after? And please could someone tell me how to get everything going?

Many thanks,

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Brian

Im explaining here how it works together with P3D

And yes you need to install Steam and the Steam plugin for Mixed Reality

Regards

Claus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YOur video is nice but it does not explain in any way how to set up the Hp reverb, I am ready to toss this thing in the trash as i cant get it to work with P3d and the steam Vr does not find it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first thing I did to get HP Reverb working is to install this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

Next was Steam VR:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/250820/SteamVR/

in the steam VR menus,I sought out and enabled the function to use the beta release which is updated frequently.

Once those two were installed, I fired up P3D and selected VR.   Just below that pulldown menu option, there's a recenter view selection.

When I start flying, I am always 6 ft above the cockpit.  I click the recenter view and then am in the cockpit normally.

There's a lot of info on using the Reverb here:  https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/01/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

Hopefully, you do not have an older version of Windows 10 ... it requires Windows 10 October 2018 update or later.

Some people have issues with motherboard usb3.0 ports supplying enough power and buy USB3 add-on cards that have a connection to the power supply.

I absolutely love mine ...

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Can you get the Windows Mixed Reality portal to recognize the Reverb so you can move around in the Cliffhouse with your controllers? You need Windows 10 build 1903 with KB4507453.

2. if so, Load Steam , Steam VR (not sure if it is separate anymore), and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR - all loaded from Steam - use the BETA versions which you indicate on the Properties page . Then start the SteamVR Interface - Library->Software->Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR. Now you should be inside a house with lists of Apps to execute - select with the controllers if you want.

3. Finally, startup by using your Desktop Icon  P3D 4.4 (at least) and select a scenario with the Virtual Cockpit showing. Then select the VR pulldown menu and select Enable Virtual Reality-> SteamVR. In order to center the display to the pilot's eyepoint, assign a button or keyboard key to HMD - Recalibrate Origin.

To make sure you have the correct drivers for your HMD (Display Port and USB3.0 ), use the Device Manager of Windows 10 to see that you have a Mixed Reality devices entry (where the Details lists it as a HoloLens Sensor) as well as a Mixed Reality headset listed under Monitors. For the USB, you should see Hololens Sensors list under Universal Serial Bus devices. The USB driver for the HoloLens Sensors MUST be from Microsoft and NOT from the vendor of the USB board (example, an InaTeck board )..

Edited by whitav8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st step: Be sure to have windows10 (at least the 1809 version and better the latest one from 1903) installed or updated and NO other pre installed VR software so NO steam VR drivers pre-installed.... BUT be sure that you already have a normal Steam account up and running in the background but again... NO VR plugin already running...  or even installed on your system.

2:after that you plugin FIRST the bigger cable (Display Port) in your Video card and then the USB3 and be sure to use a USB 3.x slot.

3: Your headset will now be recognised by Windows and installing the Mixed Reality Drivers and after that Steam will also recognise the headset and install the Steam VR software to run third party software like P3D, Xplane11 etc..

Good Luck

 

Edited by simba_nl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 9:24 PM, C6v1999 said:

The first thing I did to get HP Reverb working is to install this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

Next was Steam VR:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/250820/SteamVR/

in the steam VR menus,I sought out and enabled the function to use the beta release which is updated frequently.

Once those two were installed, I fired up P3D and selected VR.   Just below that pulldown menu option, there's a recenter view selection.

When I start flying, I am always 6 ft above the cockpit.  I click the recenter view and then am in the cockpit normally.

There's a lot of info on using the Reverb here:  https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/01/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

Hopefully, you do not have an older version of Windows 10 ... it requires Windows 10 October 2018 update or later.

Some people have issues with motherboard usb3.0 ports supplying enough power and buy USB3 add-on cards that have a connection to the power supply.

I absolutely love mine ...

Good Luck!

thank you for this detailed info i am going to try this now.  i did get it working with flyinside but don't like it. now that i installed flyinside i have to reinstall client to get my cfg back in tact.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Welcome, lsummer101.   I tried flyinside demo but could not get it to work at all with my version 3 P3d.  So I bought 4.5 and used VR native in P3D.

 I hope you get it working to your satisfaction.  It's really something and a game changer for me.  I fly much more often than before.  My favorite add-on is VRS Superbug F/A-18,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@C6v1999,

     If you have the Superbug AND TacPak, make sure you download FSX@War so you can set up a Carrier launch and shoot down some bogies! Or get SA-2s shot at you which you deal with via Harm missiles

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ... I will download those.   I only wish I could get better framerate with the Bug.   I can watch it drop as I use the radar and IR seeker view in cockpit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@C6v1999,

        Yep - frame rate is a challenge. I chose to operate out of MCAS Kanehoe because you can get free photoreal scenery with a great model of the base - and the framerates are pretty high there. Then I just have the Nimitz and support ships (battle group ) just off the coast there and set up some enemy SA-2 and such nearby. Reduce all graphic settings to minimum / medium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did someone compare HP Reverb with Oculus Rift-S under P3Dv4 with respect to image clarity and frames per second?

Michael

Edited by michaelth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, michaelth said:

Did someone compare HP Reverb with Oculus Rift-S under P3Dv4 with respect to image clarity and frames per second?

Michael

That is what I am interested too. Have the rift s now. Want to know if the performance due the refreshrate of 90hz is better with the Reverb. 

 

Regards Marcus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This blog has some interesting info regarding Rift S, Reverb, and Index in flight simulators.

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/28/whats-the-best-vr-hmd-for-me/

I would suggest that people interested in the Reverb to buy one from a store with a good return policy and try it out for a few weeks.

The higher resolution of the reverb does cut into your frame rate, but that's a trade-off I am willing to accept.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, C6v1999 said:

This blog has some interesting info regarding Rift S, Reverb, and Index in flight simulators.

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/28/whats-the-best-vr-hmd-for-me/

I would suggest that people interested in the Reverb to buy one from a store with a good return policy and try it out for a few weeks.

The higher resolution of the reverb does cut into your frame rate, but that's a trade-off I am willing to accept.

 

If you buy it directly from HP they have a 30 day return policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now