Sign in to follow this  
JoeFackel

Aviation sightseeing in West Sussex

Hello fellow simmers,

i'm off for holidays in South England (Worthing) and want to have some suggestions of interesting stuff for aviation geeks like me, thx in advance for your tips! Already looking forward for my very first arrivals at EDDF and EGLL 🤩

BR
Joe

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Well EGKK (Gatwick) is in West Sussex so not too far away but aircraft viewing opportunities there are unfortunately very limited. Although not in West Sussex, the Brooklands museum in Weybridge, Surrey might be worth a trip if you wanted to get close up to some classic British aircraft including Concorde.

Bill

You definitely do not want to miss Shoreham aerodrome EGKA with its restored art deco terminal, which has been used in numerous motion pictures. It's virtually next door to Worthing. I went there when I lived in West Sussex and worked in the area. You can take lunch at the terminal cafe with outdoor seating with views of the aircraft and runways. The Orbx EGKA airport looks much like the real thing. It might also be worth taking a look at Goodwood aerodrome EGKG near Chichester, and close to Worthing. There is also a good Orbx rendition of this one. Farnborouogh Airport in nearby Hampshire might be worth looking into, but not sure if it is open to visitors outside of the airshow. I currently live in Cambridgeshire near the Imperial War Museum Duxford airfield. It's 2-3 hours drive from Worthing, but if you want to see three or four hangars filled with classic aircraft - British, American, German, French - some of them in flying condition, this is the place to go. I visit it two or three times a year. Hope you enjoy your holiday whatever you decide to do.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

How long are you over for and do you have the ability to travel?

Not close but worth the trip (both north of London) RAF Museum Hendon is 2 hours away and IWM Duxford is 2.5 hours away from you and are among the highlights of aviation museums anywhere in the world.

I can thoroughly recommend Brooklands (near Weybridge). We went there a few weeks ago and very nearly didn't get round everything (Mrs K is a big F1/motorsport fan so there was plenty to keep her interested as well).

The Concorde tour is outstanding - they've done a really good job of it and not to be missed!