Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

Scenario loading time

I recently installed a 1TB NVME SSD to replace the 500GB SSD that I used exclusively for P3D and P3D stuff. Of course a bunch of P3D files are also on the C:\ drive. When I did this, the 1TB was initially assigned to letter H:\ since the other SSD was still installed and assigned to E:\. After I uninstalled the 500 GB SSD I reassigned the 1TB to letter E:\ and everything P3D seemed to be relinked and happy. But Now it seems my scenario loading times are much longer (~3mins of which ~2mins is at the 6% mark). Did I do something wrong and where should I look? I already checked the %Appdata% and ProgramData files like addons.cfg and dll.xml and they haven't changed from a backup I made before this switch.

Thanks,

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

not all nvme's are alike, what's the nvme do you have ?

first thing to check would be to make sure that your mobo's chipset/sata drivers are up to date.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, FPStewy said:

not all nvme's are alike, what's the nvme do you have ?

Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

Thanks, I’ll check the chipset / drivers. I did download the driver installer from Samsung. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Bruce, just to eliminate the possibility of a configuration problem ...

If your 970 EVO is installed in your M.2_1 slot (the one between the CPU and the first PCIe slot, then may be it is configured as SATA mode instead of PCIe x4 mode. Start Samsung magician and check what it says for your 970 EVO under "Interface". If it says PCIe then all is good, but if it says SATA, you then need to go into your BIOS and change it to use PCIe x4 mode.

If it is installed in your M.2_2 slot (the one at the bottom of the motherboard, then PCIe x4 is the only supported mode and all is good. You may continue to search elsewhere for the cause of your problem.

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

That NVME is super fast.  I have an intel nvme ssd (i love the speed of mine) but yours is even faster.

Few factors could slow you - some of your dll or prepar3d myriad add-on.cfg could be corrupt in a way using different encoding.  

Run Lorby's Addon Tool and see what it shows.  There is feature in that app, which says check all encoding.  And it always highlight if some file is wrong or something.  See all the tabs.

Delete shaders directory also

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

3 hours ago, bbuckley said:

I did download the driver installer from Samsung. 

honestly it's a software toolkit and has nothing to do with it being a driver, the drivers are installed by in your case Intel found here I believe, if that's your model.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/

which is the same driver offered by intel.

Also I had a similar problem, just make sure that you don't have any hard drives that are "problematic" if you have several drives I would disconnect them all and go one by one.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

3 hours ago, FPStewy said:

Note to Bruce... to date the last real Chipset drivers ASUS released for the Hero XI are the V10.1.17968.8131 dated 2019/6/11 under the "Chipset" section.  Won't hurt to reinstall them.  Everything since then is nothing more than MEI, and there's little if any chance MEI has anything to do with your current issue.

I'm curious if you tried disconnecting the 500 GB drive and testing the sim without it?

Greg

5 hours ago, NBouc said:

Bruce, just to eliminate the possibility of a configuration problem ...

If your 970 EVO is installed in your M.2_1 slot (the one between the CPU and the first PCIe slot, then may be it is configured as SATA mode instead of PCIe x4 mode. Start Samsung magician and check what it says for your 970 EVO under "Interface". If it says PCIe then all is good, but if it says SATA, you then need to go into your BIOS and change it to use PCIe x4 mode.

I'm out of town for a couples days so I'll check everything Wed when I return. 

Wow, thanks. This is a distinct possibility, This is where I installed it and I didn't set anything in the BIOS.

36 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Note to Bruce... to date the last real Chipset drivers ASUS released for the Hero XI are the V10.1.17968.8131 dated 2019/6/11 under the "Chipset" section.

Thanks Greg! Yes I've been running everything with the original P3D SSD not installed.

4 hours ago, Skywolf said:

That NVME is super fast.  I have an intel nvme ssd (i love the speed of mine) but yours is even faster.

Few factors could slow you - some of your dll or prepar3d myriad add-on.cfg could be corrupt in a way using different encoding.  

Run Lorby's Addon Tool and see what it shows.  There is feature in that app, which says check all encoding.  And it always highlight if some file is wrong or something.  See all the tabs.

Delete shaders directory also

That's good to know, I thought it was a good NVMe. I did run Lorby's PAO, love that program, and checked encoding and made sure the library was in proper order, didn't uninstall shaders but that's a good idea.

Thanks all! I'll report back when I get home. Going to Tampa Bay Rays vs Seattle Mariners in Tampa tomorrow!

4 hours ago, FPStewy said:

honestly it's a software toolkit and has nothing to do with it being a driver, the drivers are installed by in your case Intel found here I believe, if that's your model.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/

which is the same driver offered by intel.

I didn't know that, but after installing (what I thought installed drivers), I deleted the migration software, I used Acronis 2019 to clone the 500GB P3D SSD.

Edited by bbuckley

BTW does your OS load in the normal fast way or is that slow, or is it just the P3D scenario that's slow.

OS load seems fine but I have it on a separate SSD (sata). 

5 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

OS load seems fine but I have it on a separate SSD (sata). 

in my experience if the OS loads fine then it's not a hardware related issue then.

Here is the giveaway,, 

I used Acronis 2019 to clone the 500GB P3D SSD.

Get into the system and uninstall Acronis, being absolutely sure you have removed  "Acronis Active Protection" from your computer, every trace of it.

"Acronis Active Protection" interrogates every file that comes off the drive, and it is not all that fast in doing the interrogation.

There was a big discussion over on the Orbx forums quite a while back about slow loading times, and I found, along with others that "Acronis Active Protection" was the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ChrisDa said:

"Acronis Active Protection" was the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Chris

That was it! Turned off active protection and scenario loads back under a min. Thanks so much Chris. I will delete Acronis until I need it again  

And thanks to all for the help & advice. The NVMe was properly configured but I wouldn’t have thought of that. 

Bruce

No need to delete it. I just disable the services until I need to do a backup. Saves time reinstalling, etc.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors