Sign in to follow this  
whitav8

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 in VR

@aidanlegras,

Single-pass is one of the options on the P3D Virtual Reality (third from the right at the top ) menu tab at the top, then VR Settings, then HMDDisplayMode

Don't forget to check out the Options->Graphics menu and then starting with Display (then World, Lighting, and Weather ), compare with my settings.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Ok thanks, so I found the single pass stereo setting, definitely an improvement thanks however now I also have this problem when I go to select spot view for example or sometimes simply select the FSUIPC (only while in single pass stereo) menu:

"This device(NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080 Ti) stopped working for the following reason" DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Do you want to exit P3D? Click yes to exit. No to disable rendering to this device, or cancel to keep using this device (Prepar3D may crash)" Which it does

To be clear my GPU works fine with DCS and has done for some time now. So I went hunting for a solution:

1) Updated my RTX driver, that didn't help.

2) Switched off my overclock (MSI BIOS OC GENIE) that didn't make any difference,

3) TDR regedit changes required to allow more time before GPU considered hung, that didn't work either, 

4) The only thing that seemed to make a difference was switching off "single pass" in the P3D VR settings

So I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest. Any suggestions. 

There seems to be a lot of people that complain about DCS lack of VR optimisation, honestly, they have no idea how good it is.

Edited by aidanlegras

Please report your problem to the Prepar3D forum.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

On 10/4/2019 at 5:26 PM, jaytee73 said:

he was gobsmacked- (Round about the time Michael Douglas was playing around in the movie with Debbie Moore and VR Holograms)

As to being immersed in a 3 d cockpit - I already am with my tracker - and can read all the switches down to my left and right as well as behind me in an A10 - together with a global outside view of space from within - to keep an all round eye on the enemy - and with my outside chaseplane for a complete Global movement of the A/C environment.

My 32 key thrustmaster 16000/throttle +stick keeps me HOTAS.

No I haven't tried VR out in a flight sim - but what I read leads me to believe it has a way to go yet - and the head sets will be much smaller. I hope I will live to see it ready to go with 2020 but I doubt it.

That sounds like some career you must had with the early stages of VR development , for sure.

I remember seeing that movie in the cinema (aged 26, you do the math), Michael D also had a treadmill to walk on. Development on that IRL is still in very early stages i think.

I have used TrackIR for many many years. I didn't think it coud go any better than that until .... you can guess... I put VR glasses on for the first time. I was literally teleported with my body into a cockpit (remember Jodi Foster in Contact 'i had no idea' moment 🙂 to exaggerate a bit) 

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

On 10/5/2019 at 4:58 PM, joby33y said:

Agree that FS2 is one of the best VR engines out there.  

FS2 is easily the best performing VR flightsim. On my old PC ("your computer does not meet the minimum requirements" warning from Oculus) + Rift CV1 the experience is ALWAYS excellent, even with Orbx True NL and other sceneries.

But about the clarity of the gauges etc.... in FS2 you have unlimited fuel anyway and pre-defined V speeds for take off and landing, At least that's in their 747. Making that very unrealistic. You cannot even cold and dark start the engines in most of their aircraft. This all makes me wonder what the purpose of reading those gauges is anyway.

For flying in other sims (like i do with FSX:SE in Steam VR) using a study level aircraft like PMDG 737 the information on all displays is clear enough to get an estimation on attitude, speed, vertical speed and other info when you are familiar with the cockpit anyway. If you want an ultra sharp image, you just lean in a bit.

• Like 1

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

12 hours ago, avhpilot said:

FS2 is easily the best performing VR flightsim. On my old PC ("your computer does not meet the minimum requirements" warning from Oculus) + Rift CV1 the experience is ALWAYS excellent, even with Orbx True NL and other sceneries.

But about the clarity of the gauges etc.... in FS2 you have unlimited fuel anyway and pre-defined V speeds for take off and landing, At least that's in their 747. Making that very unrealistic. You cannot even cold and dark start the engines in most of their aircraft. This all makes me wonder what the purpose of reading those gauges is anyway.

For flying in other sims (like i do with FSX:SE in Steam VR) using a study level aircraft like PMDG 737 the information on all displays is clear enough to get an estimation on attitude, speed, vertical speed and other info when you are familiar with the cockpit anyway. If you want an ultra sharp image, you just lean in a bit.

FSX:SE VR flyer here also.
I prefer it over the other sims.

infinite free modding potential

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I was a lapsed flight simulator fan until VR. For a while (in the bad ol' original Vive / CV1 days) I was flying about 50/50 VR vs. non-VR. Now I have a Pimax and an Index, and the only time I fly on the flat screen is when I'm trying to get a screenshot with all the options turned on.

I didn't bother upgrading from XP 10 to XP 11 until 11 came out with built-in VR support.

This is pretty much the case for me going forward. As beautiful as MSFS is, I don't think I'll be picking it up until it has VR support (or if it's on sale and they have a hard promise to add VR support "soon").

On 10/9/2019 at 2:44 AM, blueshark747 said:

I prefer it over the other sims.

According to Froogle's video on Flyinside, FSX:SE would perfom better (a smoother experience) compared to P3D due to some bug fixing done to the Steam version and higher demand on graphics when running P3D.

But that was quite some time ago and i have never tried out P3D. So perhaps this is different now.

Anyway, The old sim from 2006 suddenly got a rebirth with VR.

Antoine v Heck
---

6 hours ago, avhpilot said:

According to Froogle's video on Flyinside, FSX:SE would perfom better (a smoother experience) compared to P3D due to some bug fixing done to the Steam version and higher demand on graphics when running P3D.

But that was quite some time ago and i have never tried out P3D. So perhaps this is different now.

Yep my FSXSE build performs better and looks better than P3D and XPlane11 in VR.

Also Flyinside Injector has its own AA/supersampling methods independant of SteamVR.

So my image is super sharp and full...reading any gauge in the virtual cockpit isn't an issue in my O+

Only thing Im missing are shadows because Flyinside only works for the DX9 mode of FSX

I use these tweaks coupled with addons

http://c-aviation.net/category/fsx-help/fsx-tweaks/

REX Skyforce 3D

REX4 Texture Direct

FSX Shade

FSX Water Configurator

Redbull Air Races are very fast and intense in VR.

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

18 hours ago, avhpilot said:

This was years ago. P3d performs well in VR now. I never tried vr in my fsx:se days so I can't compare, though. But it would hard to believe it would be significantly better now. 

Plus, if your machine can handle it, the extra graphics features makes p3d look absolutely stunning in Vr. Like real life. 

Edited by andreh

20 hours ago, andreh said:

This was years ago. P3d performs well in VR now. I never tried vr in my fsx:se days so I can't compare, though. But it would hard to believe it would be significantly better now. 

Plus, if your machine can handle it, the extra graphics features makes p3d look absolutely stunning in Vr. Like real life. 

P3D only runs well in single pass stereo mode VR....and there is nothing real life visually about any of these sims.

They still look like video games imo

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

4 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

P3D only runs well in single pass stereo mode VR....and there is nothing real life visually about any of these sims.

They still look like video games imo

I'm not noticing any difference between stereo and single pass stereo. Looks the same, at least to my eyes. Mono, is of course different. 

4 minutes ago, andreh said:

I'm not noticing any difference between stereo and single pass stereo. Looks the same, at least to my eyes. Mono, is of course different. 

Yea stereo has more convergence than single pass and better depth

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

Just now, blueshark747 said:

Yea stereo has more convergence than single pass and better depth

Possible, I'm sure. I've switched back and forth many times to see if I can notice any difference, but it's not something I can see in P3D. Maybe it's my eyes, but it looks the same to me. 

On 10/11/2019 at 10:53 PM, blueshark747 said:

Only thing Im missing are shadows because Flyinside only works for the DX9 mode of FSX

Yes, it's too bad I already purchased that DX10 fixer and cloud shadow plug in just before I discovered VR and FlyInside.

Another thing is that DX0 would have offered a slightly better handling of OOM issues. Too bad.

It makes it impossible to fly into EHAM Tampa for instance. And I fear that upgrading to a new PC with higher CPU (from 3.5 to 5 Ghz) and DDR3 to DDR4, and RTX Gfx card etc will be useless to solve that problem given the fact it is still 32 bits application.

Anyway, the release announcement for FS2020 now puts a clear end to my ongoing shillyshally whether to purchase P3D or not. Glad I won't have to repurchase all those PMDG and A2A licenses again now. For the moment I am more than happy with a clear picture in VR of those cockpits albeit without the shadows.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---