Sign in to follow this  
whitav8

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 in VR

2 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

Hey guys, there is a poll here at Avsim as regards which item we'd most like to see about the new MSFS. Could you VR fans give your voice there? The developers said they'd be very open to the public opinion. So this might have some influence on their attension of VR. Could you give your voice there? 

Poll link: 

Just did it & thx for posting !   Like you, I don’t fly flatscreen anymore!  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

On Tues I posted what I thought about MS2020 and realised afterwards that I had put it in the wrong slot

Would some kind person please move it.???👴

However because I of what I did - I came to read this thread each and every day as I go to see if any comment had been made - but nada!

- but I did start to get interested in the conversation of MS and VR for the 2020.As a ex Marketing Guru - I have watched Microsoft since Bill Gates tried to sell IBM the idea of a mouse.

Make no bones about it - MS are watching these comments like a hawk. Just take a look at the work they are doing behind the scenes with Holograms and Multi- mixed visions etc. For some time now - they have been pushing the Samsung VR - although it doesn't seem as popular as others on the market - and they will want to know why - for their research on "Microsoft Mixed Media" - whilst at the same time - using a French Games company - develop Mixed media - MS Azure - Bing etc - and give us what we saw on the 30th

Finally _ I ask myself the Question - "Why have MS not gone into competition with Sony on the PS4 VR system - for the X-Box. Most unlike MS NOT to try to compete.

Believe it or not - I bought that VR system for my eldest son's 60th birthday in June - and I tried it once - and not impressed with the comfort - or the headache from an out of focus headset. In my book - brought out to early without proper research - maybe that's why I got it at sale price??

I have been watching what people say about VR - not only here - but around - and I get the impression it is early days - expensive equipment hat I cant afford on my pension - and seemingly - upgraded units every so (too) often.

MS have just pulled a rabbit out of the hat with the 2020 presentation - pulling in masses of cheap research -from simmers - and VR's - and just wait patiently for an upgraded Samsung to go with the best of the 3 systems they propose - including a slightly upgraded Samsung for the X.Box version

Meanwhile I will fly my PRD3 - all by Orbyx - with my Track IR 5 and chase plane - and proven addon A/Cs - within the limits of my mid range computer 

9 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

Believe it or not - I bought that VR system for my eldest son's 60th birthday in June - and I tried it once - and not impressed with the comfort - or the headache from an out of focus headset. In my book - brought out to early without proper research - maybe that's why I got it at sale price??

I have been watching what people say about VR - not only here - but around - and I get the impression it is early days - expensive equipment hat I cant afford on my pension - and seemingly - upgraded units every so (too) often.

For the Sony PSVR you need the station + vr unit + headset. in all, an expensive combination.

What was the uncomfortable - out of focus experience? Perhaps the distance between your pupils was not set correctly (this can be done via the playstation software/ interface).

You can use the Sony PSVR headset on a PC when using some clever software called 'Trinus PSVR'  which fools your computer in thinking that an HTC Vive is connected.

I tried that once with FlyInside trialversion and that worked nicely in FSX:SE. It will give you the stereoscopic view and the ability to move your head in all axes. But without antennas/trackers you won't be able to move your viewpoint. But after the overwhelming experience to actually BE inside the 737 cockpit I was so blown away that i decided to get a Rift CV1 with antennas and controllers (which was about half the investment of the Sony PSVR package by the way)

It is often mention that VR is so expensive. I guess it would be if you decide to buy a new headset every year but I am still happy with my Rift 1st gen (2 yrs old now) + FSX:SE + orbx and rex and other addons, on a PC from 2010 (Gfx card from 2015) running OK. So total investment was about 500 euro's to experience VR. I think Track IR is about half the price but let's not forget the multiple HD screens that i did not have to buy now.

Edited by avhpilot
  • Upvote 1

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

1 hour ago, avhpilot said:

For the Sony PSVR you need the station + vr unit + headset. in all, an expensive combination.

What was the uncomfortable - out of focus experience? Perhaps the distance between your pupils was not set correctly (this can be done via the playstation software/ interface). 

You can use the Sony PSVR headset on a PC when using some clever software called 'Trinus PSVR'  which fools your computer in thinking that an HTC Vive is connected.

1 hour ago, avhpilot said:

Thanks for that

Actually I bought the complete kit - inc. hand triggers and something like a sub machine gun for $A 450 in a special sale.

I found it Heavy (after my weightless Tracker) and you are right about the focus but we didn't want to alter all his settings which took him a while to set up

I will pass on your info re the PC and the software

28 minutes ago, jaytee73 said:

I found it Heavy (after my weightless Tracker) and you are right about the focus but we didn't want to alter all his settings which took him a while to set up

The reason i brought this up was because it was my impression that you have decided not to try VR on your flightsim PC altogether because of a dissapointing first encounter with Playstation VR. In other words, i'm not sure if you have experienced VR flightsim or not?

You mention somewhere that FS2020 will be the revolution we've all been waiting for, finally experiencing real flying. Even though all the pre-release footage we've seen sofar is absolutely mindblowing, no doubt about that ........I think that VR flying which is now possible in current sims will prove to be a far more revolutionary change than FS2020 will be when still played on 2D screens. VR takes you inside an aircraft. If you have not experienced that and you can, you should do yourself that favor.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Hi  again Antoine

Maybe I gave you a wrong impression of my VR thinking .- and the PS4VR thing was just something I bought for my son and I tried it.

For quite some time I have been watching the growth of VR - not only in flight sims - but also other commercial areas.

In the 90s I was very much involved in the early days of VR and was making spatial videos based on 360degs digital panoramas made up from stitched single shots

and panoramic wall views from the same methods.

For example - a complete tour of a house from the entrance to the exit.- upstairs and downstairs and  when I showed my first one - it was my own house

to my local RE mate - he was gobsmacked- (Round about the time Michael Douglas was playing around in the movie with Debbie Moore and VR Holograms)

As to being immersed in a 3 d cockpit - I already am with my tracker - and can read all the switches down to my left and right as well as behind me in an A10 - together with a global outside view of space from within - to keep an all round eye on the enemy - and with my outside chaseplane for a complete Global movement of the A/C environment.

My 32 key thrustmaster 16000/throttle +stick keeps me HOTAS.

No I haven't tried VR out in a flight sim - but what I read leads me to believe it has a way to go yet - and the head sets will be much smaller. I hope I will live to see it ready to go with 2020 but I doubt it.

@jaytee73,

Please try an HP Reverb (my favorite) or Valve Index (bigger FOV) - clarity and smooth performance (on a 9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070) is here now!

Dave W.

• Upvote 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Just 2 reasons why I cant at the moment - although if you can suggest somehow a trial would be nice

They are not for sale in Australia - and the $A1500 @ steam - that is 4 weeks pension - for me👴

However if anyone has an old one they would like to donate ????????

The Reverb is absolutely amazing in VR, I'm using it with DCS and it's unbelievable. It looks great with P3D but unfortunately the frame rate in P3D with Flight Sim Labs A320 is too slow at around 20 something FPS with a 4.8GHz i7700K and an RTX2080Ti. DCS is amazing though, definitely worth another look for those that have previously dismissed it.

Edited by aidanlegras

@aidanlegras

P3D has pretty slow frame rates for the Reverb (Aerofly FS2 is the best!!) but I want to make sure you have chosen "Single-pass stereo" in the VR settings. Also, you have to operate at scenery locations that are frame rate friendly - like maybe Honolulu. Then as far as graphic settings, FXAA=off, AA=2xMSAA, low water, no reflections, no special lighting, low shadow quality and only vehicle shadows. I have those settings stored away for just VR use and more normal settings for monitor use. With the VRS F-18 at MCAS Kaneohe ( and freeware photoreal scenery - https://hawaii-photoreal.com/ ), I get a pretty steady 45fps using reprojection=auto in SteamVR with 96% SS (2160x2116). I have a 9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070.

Isn't the monitor-like clarity just wonderful! I like the Q400 at Monterrey in Aerofly FS2. I can easily read the flight management CDU and even the flight officer's side PFD. DCS isn't quite as fast in framerates as FS2 but with the Kegetys patch, it does pretty well and formation flying is really fun.

Dave W.

NOTE: I realize that the A320 is a much more complex aircraft and may be the main element in your lower performance. Just make sure that you can get 45fps with a default aircraft or simpler model and then add back the A320 - maybe there are somethings you can do for it during VR to speed things up.

Edited by whitav8
  • Upvote 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I still use the Rift CV1 but seriously considering getting a Reverb...I keep reading good things about it.  Agree that FS2 is one of the best VR engines out there.  

Dave thx for the settings above. Matches mine closely.  Also, I recently went a step further (getting frustrated with P3D stutters) so I used Lasso & moved all other processes off of core 0 and 1 , but leave P3D and Oculus - and wow what a huge difference  - smooth as silk.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

11 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

The Reverb is absolutely amazing in VR, I'm using it with DCS and it's unbelievable. It looks great with P3D but unfortunately the frame rate in P3D with Flight Sim Labs A320 is too slow at around 20 something FPS with a 4.8GHz i7700K and an RTX2080Ti. DCS is amazing though, definitely worth another look for those that have previously dismissed it.

I’ve learned from FSX in VR to simply disable certain .dll components of complex study level aircraft to get alot of that fps back.of course this means sacrificing an immersive system of the aircraft for more performance.

So yea not exactly a solid solution 

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Maybe not a solid solution but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on which .DLL’s I would disable. I fly the 320 IRL and would like to give this a go if you could point me toward some more info. I’ve seen discussion around the traps about .DLL files but truth be known, I don’t know what they are or how to disable them. 

Cheers

10 hours ago, whitav8 said:

@aidanlegras

P3D has pretty slow frame rates for the Reverb (Aerofly FS2 is the best!!) but I want to make sure you have chosen "Single-pass stereo" in the VR settings. Also, you have to operate at scenery locations that are frame rate friendly - like maybe Honolulu. Then as far as graphic settings, FXAA=off, AA=2xMSAA, low water, no reflections, no special lighting, low shadow quality and only vehicle shadows. I have those settings stored away for just VR use and more normal settings for monitor use. With the VRS F-18 at MCAS Kaneohe ( and freeware photoreal scenery - https://hawaii-photoreal.com/ ), I get a pretty steady 45fps using reprojection=auto in SteamVR with 96% SS (2160x2116). I have a 9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070.

Isn't the monitor-like clarity just wonderful! I like the Q400 at Monterrey in Aerofly FS2. I can easily read the flight management CDU and even the flight officer's side PFD. DCS isn't quite as fast in framerates as FS2 but with the Kegetys patch, it does pretty well and formation flying is really fun.

Dave W.

NOTE: I realize that the A320 is a much more complex aircraft and may be the main element in your lower performance. Just make sure that you can get 45fps with a default aircraft or simpler model and then add back the A320 - maybe there are somethings you can do for it during VR to speed things up.

Hi Dave,

That’s great info thanks. Can you tell me about how to do the single pass stereo thing please? There was previously some discussion about that on DCS, but now if you do it it causes other issues so I gave it away but if it’s a goer for P3D, I’d love to have a look at it. That’s the main problem with VR, the stuffing around with setup and settings but yes you’re right, the visual clarity is stunning, I make no comission from anyone when I say you’re crazy not to get your hands on a Reverb, if you can afford, of course, if not your just unlucky 😉