Sign in to follow this  
nas123

Development Video: Early Stall Testing

51 minutes ago, zmak said:

It looked like he booted rudder in to enhance the stall. Thats how its done from training from a faded memory

Thought the same thing, wing drop after stall - used to terrify me during training, then after mastering the recovering I kinda enjoyed them.

steve southey

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Never heard of an aggravated spin. I assume you mean aggravated stall.

Did you hear also about flat spin?

Edited by killthespam

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Since an aggravated stall can lead to a spin, I didn't notice that the term aggravated spin is being used as well.

Not judging by some youtube text but by re-reading text from e.g. Rich Stowell.

I do stand corrected.

I guess we can skin the cat different ways.

My point here is that I hope that not all their airplanes will stall and end up doing what we noticed in their video.

This is an example of another stall.

Edited by killthespam

The 747-400 stall itself is fairly benign , it’s getting it to accelerate and climb back to recover lost altitude without over loading the wing and  entering a secondary stall which is the tricky bit.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Stalls can be extremely violent........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CsO-Vu7oc

Don't know about the 'newer' 747s but the 100 and 200 didn't pitch down at all during a clean stall.

I agree with you 100% that stalls can be extremely violent. But not all of them do it violent.

I flew 747 SP which was pretty nasty on stalls , while 100 and 200 did pitch down pretty pronounced on clean stall but in t.o. configuration 100-200-300-400 and -8 are just unbelievable easy to recover.

Actually (flying the 400 and -8) it's amazing how docile and how much work you need to put into get it into a stall.

As John B (obviously another real world pilot) rightfully so state it the 400 does like to surprise you with a secondary stall if you overcontrol it.

My only concern here is from MSFS not to design all the airplanes to behave like the one in that movie clip, nothing else. 

59 minutes ago, killthespam said:

I flew 747 SP which was pretty nasty on stalls , while 100 and 200 did pitch down pretty pronounced on clean stall.

My only concern here is from MSFS not to design all the airplanes to behave like the one in that movie clip, nothing else. 

I've meant that the 100 and 200 didn't pitch down on their own. AFAIK they had a stick nudger.

Since one can design pretty good FDEs already with FSX/P3D, I don't think that it will be different with the new sim.

It will be most likely a lot more work but at the same time more realistic as well.

2 hours ago, killthespam said:

I agree with you 100% that stalls can be extremely violent. But not all of them do it violent.

I flew 747 SP which was pretty nasty on stalls , while 100 and 200 did pitch down pretty pronounced on clean stall but in t.o. configuration 100-200-300-400 and -8 are just unbelievable easy to recover.

Actually (flying the 400 and -8) it's amazing how docile and how much work you need to put into get it into a stall.

As John B (obviously another real world pilot) rightfully so state it the 400 does like to surprise you with a secondary stall if you overcontrol it.

Really?  Whenever I stall a 747 in FSX/P3D, that's pretty much the end.  There's no chance of me recovering, and I'm glad it's just on the computer screen.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Which one are you using Andy? I’ve found PMDG’s 74 does a good job with the stall and indeed replicates the secondary stall really well.

Is it this secondary stall and recovery which is catching you out? It’s at its worse at high altitudes 

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Ah, that’ll be why then😄. Well, hopefully with 2020 even the default aircraft will be things of beauty  

787 captain.  

7 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Stalls can be extremely violent........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CsO-Vu7oc

Scary! I've seen heavy aircrafts stall like that in XP and it looked a bit unrealistic to me, but now I see it's possible in some cases. Not saying stalls are always modeled accurately in XP, but I am surprised that in RL some airliners can have such a violent stall.

Edited by Murmur

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

I don't think that they would have certified the 717 with that kind of stall behaviour, but it shows why flight testing is essential, despite all the computations and simulations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zmak said:

It looked like he booted rudder in to enhance the stall. Thats how its done from training from a faded memory

That's how it was done in the Cessna 150/152 back when I was training. Spins where a mandatory part of training for a PPL in Canada, at least when I got mine in 1975. We did spins with 2 to 3 rotations before initiating recover. Never did one in a Cessna 172 though, but I'm guessing they would spin similarly to the 150 with a kick of rudder right at the break.

• Upvote 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2