Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Upgrading GPU and HDD for P3D...?

Recommended Posts

How much of a performance increase, regarding texture loading and FPS smoothness can I reasonably achieve if I upgrade my non SSD HDD to an SSD and my 1080 GPU to a 2080ti GPU on an i7 6700 @ 4.5...?

 

Thanks!


Chris Camp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get as big an SSD as you are willing to budget for and get off your HDD..

Samsung 860evo prices have come down a lot..

You will be very happy :smile:

As for the GPU.. you have a great video card.. keep it!


Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Get as big an SSD as you are willing to budget for and get off your HDD..

Samsung 860evo prices have come down a lot..

You will be very happy :smile:

As for the GPU.. you have a great video card.. keep it!

Copy.

Looking for a 2tb...

 

Although my 1080 is only 8gb of ram.  Would you recommend the 11gb 2080ti card?

 

 

.

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Copy.

Looking for a 2tb...

 

Although my 1080 is only 8gb of ram.  Would you recommend the 11gb 2080ti card?

 

 

.

Nope..  I would save my money..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Nope..  I would save my money..

Agree.  The price difference isn't worth it...maybe unless you're at 4k.  Or VR.


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The HDD upgrade to an SSD will really only speed up your load times. You hear people mention faster loading of textures etc, but there's no real concrete proof of that. Either way you look at it though, the sim on an SSD is a must have and a good investment.


i7-8700K, 16gb DDR4 3200,  GTX1080Ti, Win 10, P3d V5x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

The HDD upgrade to an SSD will really only speed up your load times. You hear people mention faster loading of textures etc, but there's no real concrete proof of that. Either way you look at it though, the sim on an SSD is a must have and a good investment.

Ok.  I already have my windows installed on my 512 gb SDD but did not have enough room to add P3D and the associated Orbx scenery files.

 

My P3D is currently installed on my 2tb physical HDD.

 

Can I add another SSD and mirror it to my HDD (w P3D) and just swap the HD letters?

 

Would P3D still work this way or is it better to completely reinstall on a new SSD (as much as I don’t want to do the dance again...)?

 

Thanks!


Chris Camp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can copy the P3D files off the HDD, onto a new 1 TB SSD, if you like and add that to your system.  Keep the 2 TB HDD for data..

You can also split the Orbx files across multiple drives if that works better for you..

You never said that you were using an SSD as your C drive, so you already get most of the benefit.. :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can copy the P3D files off the HDD, onto a new 1 TB SSD, if you like and add that to your system.  Keep the 2 TB HDD for data..

You can also split the Orbx files across multiple drives if that works better for you..

You never said that you were using an SSD as your C drive, so you already get most of the benefit.. :wink:

Yes, 512 SSD as my C drive with windows installed on same. 😉


Chris Camp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Yes, 512 SSD as my C drive with windows installed on same. 😉

Good start..

I have a 256GB SSD for Windows, and two for P3D and Orbx + a 1 TB HDD for data. Works nicely.

If I were to start from scratch, I would likely double all of them in size :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    45%
    $11,435.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...