Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Evolution of Video Game Graphics 1958-2020

Something I was just ruminating about.....

A look back at where we've been, where we are, and where we're going......

And I remember playing so many of these games....! Watching the evolution of computers and gaming, in real time.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Me too ! From Half Life on, I still have most of them. A few of them I still play. Great video, thanks.

Sue

Nice video!

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Signs of a misspent youth - middle aged adult  - and a future misspent old age 👴

As a graphics lover - my congrats on the thought behind the video - (no sniper??)

MS 2020 will bring us aficionados  Real 4K HDR10 and Xbox 2

and 2021 ---- 8k OLED via VR

I remember when Pong came out.  That was a great game and a nice break from all the clanging and bells of pinball machines.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I grew up when Atari first out and played the usual games on it at that time, PacMan, Asteroids, Space Invaders etc. Then I got a Commodore 64 and the subLogic Flight Sim. 

Unlike most members here, I haven’t played a video game, aside from the EA Sports Tiger Woods golf game back in the early 2000’s. For some reason I never had a desire for traditional video games after my youth (aside from the TW golf game). I knew a lot of people into Madden, COD, and whatever all the other popular ones that have come and gone since the early 2000’s.

I don’t know why I just stuck to simming and was never drawn into modern video games. Maybe it was because I have too many other hobbies and the little bit of free time I did spend on the computer was spend on a flight sim. 

I’ll probably never own an XBox or PlayStation or buy a video game, aside from another flight sim since some consider them games (not me). Hard to believe that some people are even winning money and making a career out of being good players. Never would I have thought 20 years ago people would play video games as a job and make money at it, sometimes a lot of it.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It is incredible to see how far it has come in what really is such a short space of time in the grand scheme of things. 

Admittedly, i'm only 25 so probably a youngster when it comes to this however my first gaming experience was my dads ZX Spectrum as a kid. We played Manic Miner together and man was that an absolute blast! Later we got a PS1 and started playing Driver, DOOM and Theme Hospital. Oh the good days and where everything came from.