Sign in to follow this  
MDFlier

And it includes the AI traffic that we all really want, too?

12 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

paint guys would be needed to provide us with real world airline repaints

...and 3D models of the aircraft. That is quite the task, although there aren't that many different types around like there used to be. I have no idea how long it takes to model an aircraft, let alone painting it. A skilled designer can probably make an AI plane fly in 4 weeks when working full hours? So the effort would be around 160h per aircraft? For example, AIG has about 200 different models, that makes 32000 hours. To get that done in a year, you need 20 people. Plus the liveries.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

15 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Accurately replicating real world traffic schedules is one thing, but I get the feeling that the freeware paint guys would be needed to provide us with real world airline repaints. I doubt that Microsoft would be able to use those in a payware simulator.

Asobo said from 10K to 50K live traffic and users aircraft in the air around the globe.

I begin to wonder how much money MS has put into this project, including to buy rights to use airlines brands...  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 minutes ago, domkle said:

Asobo said from 10K to 50K live traffic and users aircraft in the air around the globe.

I begin to wonder how much money MS has put into this project, including to buy rights to use airlines brands...  

I didn't really understand that remark. What happens when there are 100.000 simmers in the air? That is not a far fetched number, although totally unrealistic in aviation terms.

150 people on the team, plus fees and licenses, infrastructure, marketing etc, they should be looking at around $15 million a year? $35 to 50 million in total? (they are probably laughing their a**es of at my numbers, but that is what I would have calculated back in my days as a project manager).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

2 hours ago, Noooch said:

The fact there will be 2 modes and the live mode will take the player in consideration is new, and I think it's great we can choose.

They already said they are thinking in making AI take over live traffic after landing so aircrafts will gently go to their gate after landing.

I am sure they will figure it out and we will get great traffic, at least the best we can think of with current technology.

A good addition would be a LiveATC option as it is public information in many countries.

They didn't say the live mode will take the player into consideration, it's impossible. What they said is what they had already said in the avsim interview too after the global event. The only way for the traffic to notice the player is if the AI is controlling airplanes, either in all phases of flight or just when close to the player.

It is indeed a good thing either way Noooch 🙂

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

9 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

I didn't really understand that remark. What happens when there are 100.000 simmers in the air? That is not a far fetched number, although totally unrealistic in aviation terms.

150 people on the team, plus fees and licenses, infrastructure etc, they should be looking at around $15 million a year? $35 to 50 million in total? (they are probably laughing their a**es of at my numbers, but that is what I would have calculated back in my days as a project manager).

Best regards

About the number of players, I see that the Steam servers cater to a much bigger number than 100k at the same time, isn’t it ?

About the cost, honestly I don’t know, as I said I wonder , but from what they said, I dont see only the Orbit of yore in the skies. And that will not be free to use Delta, Air France, American Airlines etc names. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

51 minutes ago, france89 said:

They didn't say the live mode will take the player into consideration, it's impossible. What they said is what they had already said in the avsim interview too after the global event. The only way for the traffic to notice the player is if the AI is controlling airplanes, either in all phases of flight or just when close to the player.

It is indeed a good thing either way Noooch 🙂

Read the first post of this thread, this is exactly what Neumann said.

14 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Read the first post of this thread, this is exactly what Neumann said.

I am well aware, it's what i have been telling since the start. This is something we already knew from the Global Event, there is no new information in this interview.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

26 minutes ago, france89 said:

I am well aware, it's what i have been telling since the start. This is something we already knew from the Global Event, there is no new information in this interview.

Oh I didnt' notice he told about integration in the preview event

I didn't notice that, either.

I guess what made me post this to start with  (considering that others like Lorby and PSXseecontraffic are already working on it) was that I was shocked to see that MS even condsidered adding this (the actual traffic) to FS2020. There are so many other things for them to work on. AI traffic is important to be sure, but it is something that I consider optional as part of the base sim. Sure, they need to build in a mechanism to allow AI traffic to be created and managed, but I didn't expect that they would also work on the implementation of AI traffic. I sorta figured that they would leave the actual implementation to the 3rd party folks.

I am hoping that whatever mechanisms MS puts in place will be robust in that it will allow AI to be managed correctly (follow real world rules, SIDs, STARs, etc.) out of the box as well as providing access to those mechanism via the SDK for 3rd parties to enhance or fine tune how the AI behaves. 

It just seems like a really great starting point as long as the devs will have access to enhance via the SDK.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

4 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

What happens when there are 100.000 simmers in the air?

They'll probably use different servers, so that not every player is on the same server.

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

When you look at what we know very little we have not seen AI and the performance impact no fast moving Jet over scenery, and the road traffic passes through buildings and scenery popping to get this out for summer they have a lot to do without adding something new.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

I am hoping that whatever mechanisms MS puts in place will be robust in that it will allow AI to be managed correctly (follow real world rules, SIDs, STARs, etc.) out of the box as well as providing access to those mechanism via the SDK for 3rd parties to enhance or fine tune how the AI behaves.

I imagine there wont be an "engine" sort of speak.  I picture live traffic meaning FS2020 process the placement of aircraft using data from various feeds.  Could even be core lat/long data every few seconds and FS2020 just animates the aircraft between the two points.  So, if an aircraft is following a STAR in real life, that is what you'll see, if the aircraft gets a short cut by a controller in real life, that is what you'll see.

Just a guess on my part, but thats how I'd do it.

• Upvote 1