Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Purchasing Windows 10

I would like to be able to set up Windows 10 in a similar manner to Windows 7, with UAC disabled, and also the ability to STOP automatic driver updates. Is this possible in Windows 10 Home? If not, is it possible in Windows 10 Professional?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I would like to be able to set up Windows 10 in a similar manner to Windows 7, with UAC disabled, and also the ability to STOP automatic driver updates. Is this possible in Windows 10 Home?

Yes is the simple answer. To stop driver updates, take a look at: https://pureinfotech.com/exclude-driver-updates-windows-10/. I've never understood the apparent hatred of UAC. It introduces an extra layer of security and only requires a single extra click and an additional few seconds to open a program: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/uac-why-you-should-never-turn-it-off

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

As far as UAC is concerned, I have had it disabled in Windows 7 for the five years that I have had the OS installed. No requests for user permission with anything, no requirement to ever run anything as administrator, and no obvious problems. That is what I want in Windows 10.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It seems to me that UAC is more useful on computers with multiple users than for single users. There is a higher level admin account than the admin account you create in W10. So no, there will always be a possible need to run as admin, but not often.  

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I think that I will stick with Windows 10 Home Edition. Thanks for all the comments.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Christopher, good choice indeed. I've had my UAC setting turned right down for many years. All it seemed to do was to nag!. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...