Sign in to follow this  
carmined

Batterie / Jour - Language specific labels

On the latest discovery series #4 Cockpits, at 0:06 seconds, looking at the instrument panel you can see the French naming for Battery as batterie (although batterie translates to drums) as well as another word up top by the indicators called jour.  I don't speak French, but translated on Google it says day so I'm not sure what that means or is supposed to be.  The point being, are they going to make the labels be optionally regionally language based and if so I think it would be a good idea.

Edited by carmined

Carmine

MSI z370 sli plus, EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 PS, i9 9900k running 4.7Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, EVGA RTX 2080TI XF ULTRA 11GB, LG 42.5in, TONS (100+ TB) of HD/SSD/RAID 0/RAID 5 boxes, Oculus Rift & Rift-S, All the Saitek controls/panels, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Quite literally:
'Batterie' means battery and 'Jour' means day.

If you look at pictures of DR400 cockpits, you can see labels in different languages. 
The annunciator panel right under the glareshield has a switch for 'Night', 'Day', and 'Test' illumination of the panel lights.

I rather like that the DR400 as a French aeroplane has some labels written in French.
If they make a cockpit tips bubble appear when hovering the mouse cursor over various switches and dials (similar to FSX / P3D), I don't see why we should worry about translating these labels into the World's 6,500 languages.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Batterie has three meanings in French battery, drums and set (a set of pans for instance). That was my educational contribution.

We have had this issue with Russian aircraft for years, btw. The solution is indeed tooltips.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

26 minutes ago, domkle said:

Batterie has three meanings in French

And at least 4 in English that I can think of - a collection of energy cells (I.e the batteries that are always running out in the tv remote), a group of big guns, a large group of small animals (or it might be the things the animals are kept in - e.g battery hens), and a type of physical abuse. Hopefully they’ll have a pop up explaining which one they mean in the sim. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, carmined said:

The point being, are they going to make the labels be optionally regionally language based and if so I think it would be a good idea.

Of course they should really have all the labels in the language most spoken in the world which I believe is Chinese. 😏 Or they could just leave the labels in the language usually used in those aircraft and as already suggested use tooltips to translate as required.

Give people power to really test their personality.

38 minutes ago, SamYeager said:

Of course they should really have all the labels in the language most spoken in the world which I believe is Chinese. 😏 Or they could just leave the labels in the language usually used in those aircraft and as already suggested use tooltips to translate as required.

Semantics - Chinese has the most native speakers but English is the most *widely* spoken language, and also the one that has the most students. 

As you say though it’s a French aircraft so therefore more authentic and tooltips will help.

6 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

And at least 4 in English that I can think of - a collection of energy cells (I.e the batteries that are always running out in the tv remote), a group of big guns, a large group of small animals (or it might be the things the animals are kept in - e.g battery hens), and a type of physical abuse. Hopefully they’ll have a pop up explaining which one they mean in the sim. 

Five at least.

A pitcher-catcher duo in baseball is called a Battery. 

• Like 1