Sign in to follow this  
mattbaker

High pitch sound with BAT on

Hello,

just got the Lear 35 new for FSX, but can't really enjoy it yet - when switching any of the two BATs to on, I hear a very, very high pitch noise in the background. It's relatively low volume, but its super high pitched nature, like a dog whistle I would imagine, is extremely annoying and somewhat painful to the ears.

I went  to the sound folder and switched off "cockpitfans.wav", but that's not where the noise is coming from. Are there any other sounds that are initiated when switching on the BAT switches that you could tell me about so I can maybe try and tweak them to get rid of this noise?

I could imagine, since it's so shrill, that not everyone would even hear it if they have less than optimal hearing, so please, bear with me, I can assure you I hear it and it is indeed painful to me... 😕

Some more info: When I select the plane in the FSX main menu, before even loading a flight, thats when the sound initially starts together with the interior sound. Completely removing all of the .wav files in the sound config does not change anything, meaning that it's none of the .wav files.

Furthermore, the interior sound and therefore the uncomfortable high pitch noise are not affected by anything I set in the FSX sound menu tab. Even switching off sound completely there, the interior environment sounds persist to play. So this appears to be somehow hardcoded into the model?

I FOUND IT OMG

FSX/Sound/MT/SND85.wav "Battery Hum".

I'll try and edit the high pitch out, or I'll just replace the file with a mute wav...

17 hours ago, mattbaker said:

I could imagine, since it's so shrill, that not everyone would even hear it if they have less than optimal hearing, so please, bear with me, I can assure you I hear it and it is indeed painful to me... 😕

Just FYI, the tech advisor to Flysimware, Joe, is a real world Learjet 35 pilot, and Joe recorded the battery sounds 'live' from the LJ35 he flies. So that's some background on where what you are hearing  came from. The LJ35 certainly does generate some 'interesting' sounds although at my age I'm sure I don't hear everything you do. Hopefully none of the other LJ35 sounds will be uncomfortable for you. Joe's real world input in many areas has helped make the FSW LJ35  a great plane to fly.

Al

Edited by ark

Oh yeah, you can absolutely tell the hi-fidelity of the sound pack, I already assumed it's all recorded first hand. Being a pilot myself, I know that planes can make some iffy noises sometimes, but I guess having them amplified through my speakers on my desk is just a tad too much for me. Need dem ears for my recurrent medical after all 😄 😄 I muted the file, so I'm cool now, and enjoying the hell out of the incredible authenticity of the bird 🙂

2 hours ago, mattbaker said:

Oh yeah, you can absolutely tell the hi-fidelity of the sound pack, I already assumed it's all recorded first hand. Being a pilot myself, I know that planes can make some iffy noises sometimes, but I guess having them amplified through my speakers on my desk is just a tad too much for me. Need dem ears for my recurrent medical after all 😄 😄 I muted the file, so I'm cool now, and enjoying the hell out of the incredible authenticity of the bird 🙂

Great!  😃

Whats up,

so I managed to actually identify exactly what the sounds nature was. As you can see in the graph below, SND85.wav contains a 20000Hz peak that is as loud as the base sound, that's what I was hearing. I managed to disable that specific frequency band above like 10000Hz, so now the file is squeaky clean 🙂

d5fdd7-1575984404.png

Edited by mattbaker

The sound you hear is the CRT tube in the HSI's and radar display warming up. It sounds just as annoying in the real airplane, I assure you. 🙂

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV

On 12/15/2019 at 7:15 PM, capceo said:

The sound you hear is the CRT tube in the HSI's and radar display warming up. It sounds just as annoying in the real airplane, I assure you. 🙂

But..... Solid state has no soul and is too quiet! 

🙂

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK