Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

From VR detracter to VR fan in one week

17 minutes ago, SKEWR said:

The mouse pointer was not precise enough to program the FMC. Is there a way to increase the accuracy with it?

Oh God, I wish. :laugh:

I don't DO FMCs myself but in order to work a pop-up GPS, I use THIS method.

I've fiddled with the settings and settled on this one for pilot/co-pilot aircraft:

3DP_CAMERA_TRANSFORM_REFERENCE=Virtual Cockpit      
3DP_SIZE=0.4,0.4                                                                        
3DP_WORLDSPACE_POS_OFFSET=0.47,-0.4,0.28                //X,Y,Z offsets 0.27,-0.4,0.28    
3DP_PBH_OFFSET=10,0,35                                                          //pitch, bank and heading offsets   

And this one for sigle seaters:

type=SPECIAL
3DP_CAMERA_TRANSFORM_REFERENCE=Virtual Cockpit      
3DP_SIZE=0.4,0.4                                                                        
3DP_WORLDSPACE_POS_OFFSET=-0.0,-0.5.5,0.32               //lateral,vertical,longditudinal offsets 0.27,-0.4,0.28    
3DP_PBH_OFFSET=10,0,0      //10,0,35                                                          //pitch, bank and heading offsets   

Any help?

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

11 hours ago, SKEWR said:

Follow up

Did my first flight in VR (P3D) with a HP Reverb and thanks to this forum I was able to get it running first try. Initial thoughts:

Little things really bring out the immersion. I've done many tube liners flights through the years and I've seen the shadows and splotches of light and dismissed them. In VR? They really looked awesome to me! I was able to see road traffic at night and the moon from REX Studious? Couldn't stop looking at it or the reflection from it on the water!

Some questions:

The mouse pointer was not precise enough to program the FMC. Is there a way to increase the accuracy with it?

Performance was not great. Would changing the resolution (VR Only) in the main menu to 1920x1080 improve performance? (Native resolution is 3440x1440)

Is there a way to see in game menus?

Cockpit was blurry unless I leaned in and the taxi signs were hard to read until I got close to them.. Is there a setting to improve clarity?

I'll got back to reading the LM VR tuning guide, but as of now I thinking I might just like VR!

Depending on your hardware you can have crisp and clear Cockpits without any blurry. . I'm flying now with the 737 NGuX and can see and read the smallerst textures. In the P3D menu you can only set the resolution for your monitor (not the Reverb) You have to set the resolution in your Steam VR settings list. As said already, there you can crank up the VR resolution with the slider. When you have good fast hardware you can set set the SS to 200% in P3D to have awesome looks, in and outside the plane. so try tune-up the resolution between 120% and 200%  You wrote about the shadows etc. well, that is a fps killer. Getting high resolution and good fps with the Reverb you have to play and find out what will be the best fit. Shadows, Reflection and Dynamic lights are performance killers.

Welcome in the "Reverb" club....

Happy landings.

PS: It's NOT possible to read the P3D menu's within VR.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SKEWR said:

Performance was not great. Would changing the resolution (VR Only) in the main menu to 1920x1080 improve performance? (Native resolution is 3440x1440)

This only applies to screen resolution, not to the VR headset. I don't think it matters as it is superseeded as soon as you enter VR and replaced by whatever resolution the screen mirroring has.

Is there a way to see in game menus?

Alas, no.

Cockpit was blurry unless I leaned in and the taxi signs were hard to read until I got close to them.. Is there a setting to improve clarity?

Supersampling - but I don't know with the HP Reverb. This surprises me as I was under the impression that main reason people lilke the reverb for flight sim was the resolution and clarity. It could be zoom levels, AA, FXAA etc, mipmaps etc. that plays a part here. FXAA should generally be off as it makes things blurry, mipmaps should be off. The rest you will have to experiment with to find what you like and what brings acceptable performance.

• Like 1

@andreh @simba_nl Thanks to you both, gentlemen. I'm still messing around trying to tune it to reduce some of the blurriness, but it could just be a case of me transferring from two monitors to VR. Regardless I appreciate all tips and tricks!

I research issues before I buy (usually) and I guess I missed the no menu and the having to have P3D visual on my monitor AND in the headsets simultaneously (seems like a double performance hit on the graphics card (using a 2080ti)).

My current resolution is 150% and by reducing P3D in game slider settings a bit I can get 26fps in the New York City area. I'll post back if I can find anything else to help people that come across this thread. I do have 2 sites,aside from these forums, that really helped me: 

P3D Tuning Guide: Tuning Guide

DCS Hp Reverb setup: DCS Reverb setup (Please note some info here is ONLY for DCS)

Again, thanks to all who have helped!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

1 hour ago, SKEWR said:

@andreh @simba_nl Thanks to you both, gentlemen. I'm still messing around trying to tune it to reduce some of the blurriness, but it could just be a case of me transferring from two monitors to VR. Regardless I appreciate all tips and tricks!

I research issues before I buy (usually) and I guess I missed the no menu and the having to have P3D visual on my monitor AND in the headsets simultaneously (seems like a double performance hit on the graphics card (using a 2080ti)).

My current resolution is 150% and by reducing P3D in game slider settings a bit I can get 26fps in the New York City area. I'll post back if I can find anything else to help people that come across this thread. I do have 2 sites,aside from these forums, that really helped me: 

P3D Tuning Guide: Tuning Guide

DCS Hp Reverb setup: DCS Reverb setup (Please note some info here is ONLY for DCS)

Again, thanks to all who have helped!

Having both, on the headset and Monitor is not a double hit on your GPU. Shut your monitor complete out or disable the monitor function in the P3D VR menu and you will find out that there isn't any performance gain. Don't know what kind of CPU you are using but with a 2080ti you can do a test to crank up your SS to 200% and turn the shadows temporary off to find your sweetspot. fps are less important now by the way, Frametime is King with VR so do your self a favor and buy on Steam that little add-on called fpsVR (you will also find that tip in the Reverb setup advice on the DCS boards)

The best running VR flightsim is Aerofly in the beta/Vulcan version and brings the Reverb to life in all here glory. Second best is Flyinside 6.0 for VR but still a bit annoying. I am 95% of the time flying within P3D and very pleased with it. 

Happy landings.... 

• Like 1