Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

From VR detracter to VR fan in one week

12 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

I notice no screen door effect in my Rift S.

You can if you look VERY hard. On the downside, you'll probably crash while doing it.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

Yes

Thank for the feedback Ron think I’ll run into my local argos before silly season kicks in and pick one up.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Just an update bought and set my rift s up last night, and ok I now completely understand why VR fans are so fanatical, I'm gonna be hanging around the VR section allot now.

Thanks to HiFlyer for the OP

• Like 3

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Ker-ching. Another convert. Welcome brother. 🙏

This'll drive the 'flat earthers' flat screeners mad. :biggrin: Kidding, kidding, put down the flaming torches. 

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

11 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Ker-ching. Another convert. Welcome brother. 🙏

This'll drive the 'flat earthers' flat screeners mad. :biggrin: Kidding, kidding, put down the flaming torches. 

😹

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 hours ago, stephenbgs said:

Just an update bought and set my rift s up last night, and ok I now completely understand why VR fans are so fanatical, I'm gonna be hanging around the VR section allot now.

Thanks to HiFlyer for the OP

Welcome to the club!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I picked up an odyssey + last Tuesday, and while I used to enjoy making videos for my YouTube channel that looked pretty....I can’t bring myself to fly on a flat panel ever again. The immersion simply cannot be shown in a video, you have to fly in VR to experience it. #whoNeedsMonitors

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

On 12/2/2019 at 9:23 PM, mwilk said:

It doesn't hurt to have a separate USB 3.0 card. Sometimes there can be an issue using the USB ports on the motherboard. Other than that you need the Oculus software.

I don't think that's true. I wouldn't recommend a separate USB card. Motherboard ports should work fine (I'm sure you've seen this somewhere, but I've been reading VR forums for several years and I've literally never seen this suggested!)

Keep it simple.

What you need is a computer with a modern graphics card. 1080Ti is good, but you can go a bit cheaper than this - 970 (what I used to use for VR simming) or 1060 are current minimum spec for the Rift S.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

54 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I don't think that's true. I wouldn't recommend a separate USB card. Motherboard ports should work fine (I'm sure you've seen this somewhere, but I've been reading VR forums for several years and I've literally never seen this suggested!)

Keep it simple.

What you need is a computer with a modern graphics card. 1080Ti is good, but you can go a bit cheaper than this - 970 (what I used to use for VR simming) or 1060 are current minimum spec for the Rift S.

Check the DCS forum. I ran into the same thing. I would get intermittent issues until I went to a separate USB 3.0 card.

NAX669.png

28 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Check the DCS forum. I ran into the same thing. I would get intermittent issues until I went to a separate USB 3.0 card.

There was indeed an ongoing issue where some cheaper usb ports (some are more equal than others as far as remaining within accepted standards) were not supplying sufficient power to the Oculus, and this caused issues for a few people.

During that time, there were suggestions regarding purchasing an onboard usb card.

However, I haven't heard of this (blackouts etc) for some time, and was pretty sure the problem had been corrected in software.......?

EDIT: Found an article from that period.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/26/oculus-rift-s-how-to-fix-tracking-problems-and-blackouts/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

There was indeed an ongoing issue where some cheaper usb ports (some are more equal than others as far as remaining within accepted standards) were not supplying sufficient power to the Oculus, and this caused issues for a few people.

During that time, there were suggestions regarding purchasing an onboard usb card.

However, I haven't heard of this (blackouts etc) for some time, and was pretty sure the problem had been corrected in software.......?

EDIT: Found an article from that period.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/26/oculus-rift-s-how-to-fix-tracking-problems-and-blackouts/

Yes, but the poster was asking what he needed to do in preparation for his new headset.

i would definitely not be telling people to go out and get an add-on USB card, just in case.

My concern is that we’re suggesting that this is SOP, which as a new buyer might make this all seem to hard. It’s conceptually like telling someone building a computer to buy an extra stick of ram, because ram is sometimes faulty.

here’s the reality:

1. You’ll want a decent computer with an NVidia 970/1060. 

2. Then you plug two cords in to the back of your computer. 

3. Then, once the software is running, you should have properly working VR.

All tech will occasionally have problems on some systems for some users. The addition of an internal USB card MAY be part of the troubleshooting in the very unlikely event that you have this specific problem.

The reason that I recommend Rift S as a newbie HMD is because it’s reliable and simple to setup. If anyone is on the fence, don’t overthink it, just go out and get one. 🙂

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 12/2/2019 at 9:39 AM, Avidean said:

I got the Samsung Odyssey+ for CAD$299. CAD$335 after tax. I am quite confident that is the best deal Available in Canada. I got 2 of them 😁

Nice, enjoy, it's great value for what you get! No sure why you bought 2 of them though?

2 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

Nice, enjoy, it's great value for what you get! No sure why you bought 2 of them though?

The first day of the sale it was CAD$324 and I order it. The next day they had reduced it by another CAD$25 to $299. So I immediately ordered it again for the lower price. I then looked to cancel the order that I had previously made less than 24h before and which had not even shipped yet and Microsoft.ca would not allow me to cancel it. They said I could refuse the delivery. I though yeah sure it will be months before I get the refund and in any case both showed up outside my front door the same day and I wasn't even home. There they where just sitting there. I haven't even taken the second out of the shipping book. Hopefully, I'll get about CAD$450 for it locally just before Christmas. Assuming the sale is over by then. It normally retails in Canada for CAD$650 plus tax so I don't think I'll have a problem off loading it.

3 hours ago, Avidean said:

The first day of the sale it was CAD$324 and I order it. The next day they had reduced it by another CAD$25 to $299. So I immediately ordered it again for the lower price. I then looked to cancel the order that I had previously made less than 24h before and which had not even shipped yet and Microsoft.ca would not allow me to cancel it. They said I could refuse the delivery. I though yeah sure it will be months before I get the refund and in any case both showed up outside my front door the same day and I wasn't even home. There they where just sitting there. I haven't even taken the second out of the shipping book. Hopefully, I'll get about CAD$450 for it locally just before Christmas. Assuming the sale is over by then. It normally retails in Canada for CAD$650 plus tax so I don't think I'll have a problem off loading it.

Any VR headset is a lot better than none, but can I suggest to anyone thinking of purchasing that they get the Rift S rather than the Odyssey+, if their primary use is flight sim (particularly P3D).

Rift S is not a lot more expensive, and is definitely preferable in this usage scenario.

Software is much better, hand controllers are better, HMD clarity is better, HMD is lighter and tracking is superior.

I have both headsets, and a lot of sim VR time with both.

Oz

Follow up

Did my first flight in VR (P3D) with a HP Reverb and thanks to this forum I was able to get it running first try. Initial thoughts:

Little things really bring out the immersion. I've done many tube liners flights through the years and I've seen the shadows and splotches of light and dismissed them. In VR? They really looked awesome to me! I was able to see road traffic at night and the moon from REX Studious? Couldn't stop looking at it or the reflection from it on the water!

Some questions:

The mouse pointer was not precise enough to program the FMC. Is there a way to increase the accuracy with it?

Performance was not great. Would changing the resolution (VR Only) in the main menu to 1920x1080 improve performance? (Native resolution is 3440x1440)

Is there a way to see in game menus?

Cockpit was blurry unless I leaned in and the taxi signs were hard to read until I got close to them.. Is there a setting to improve clarity?

I'll got back to reading the LM VR tuning guide, but as of now I thinking I might just like VR!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma