Sign in to follow this  
simbol

Help with software updates

I will certainly try those things as well, thanks guys. However, why is it the only software complaining? If I would have something intrinsic wrong, there should be at least one of my other software at least resulting in an error message. It does not...

5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Do you think the tamper protection may have left some of the computer security (namely the firewall) in place?   Checking the running processes may not show this without using a Process Monitor (you know why)

This could be easily the case, yes, as I simply uninstalled AVIRA but I did not entirely wipe everything (at least I did not check this). Maybe worth a try, even though to me, the windows popping up clearly states that the issue is with security settings in Windows... I am somehow sure it is a Windows 10 issue, not an AVIRA issue...

However, this always takes some time, and I fear that messing around to much will break other things. What I absolutely do not want is to manually reconfigure all those exceptions I now have inside both the Windows Defender/Firewall and the AVIRA. This would take even longer, and all just for one single setup executable...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

However, this always takes some time, and I fear that messing around to much will break other things. What I absolutely do not want is to manually reconfigure all those exceptions I now have inside both the Windows Defender/Firewall and the AVIRA. This would take even longer, and all just for one single setup executable...

I understand.. however I find it very strange that when you removed AVIRA Active sky stopped working. There is something in your system clearly causing an issue.

• Like 1

Yup, it seems like. However, this problem does obviously not show up in any case except this word not allowed updater built with SetupBuilder... I really do not have any other issue that is comparable...

Might be worth to once really clean up my antivirus/defender settings. Completely, as Dave suggested, removing all traces of AVIRA etc. The ActiveSky example basically proofs that some remnants of AVIRA are lurking around in my system after uninstalling it, otherwise the observed behaviour is not possible at all...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Ok, in the meantime I will create a custom offline updater for you and send you the link. This way you don't have to uninstall and re-install any time a new update is released. Hopefully this will bypass temporally your issue until we find out why this occurs on your system.

Although it will still be done by SetuBuilder, it should install correctly since the offline version will not download anything from the SSL Webserver, etc. So it will work in a similar way as the original AI Lights Reborn Installer does on your system.

Regards,
Simbol

Avira should be the main cause of all this problems. It is not possible to simply remove Avira, because it will protect itself from beeing removed (which is fine to prevent bad guys from deactivating it by some virusses or trojans). I had this problem a few years ago. I uninstalled it and it was still active in some strange kind. I guess you have seen on their website, that you have to download and use a custom tool to remove the AV software? And even than you will find traces of Avira in your registry. 

Kurt

Edited by ltu6800
  • Like 1

Ok, then the relation to AVIRA is really probable. I will try this removal tool once and report back. Just give me some days eventually ;-)

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Unexpectedly, I found the time today. Again completely removed AVIRA including the AVIRA Registry Cleaner Tool executed, it tells me that everything is removed. ActiveSky does not show any error anymore. Yet this word not allowed SetupBuilder Updater does still not work, still showing the same error messge...

Greetings, Chris

13 hours ago, AnkH said:

Unexpectedly, I found the time today. Again completely removed AVIRA including the AVIRA Registry Cleaner Tool executed, it tells me that everything is removed. ActiveSky does not show any error anymore. Yet this word not allowed SetupBuilder Updater does still not work, still showing the same error messge...

Hi Chris,

Now with AVIRA totally clean. What happens if you disable temporary the windows firewall, open the directory of AI lights reborn, find the program Webupdater_SSL.exe and launch it?

This is just a test to assess the current situation.

I have a lot of users using the auto updater working with no problems, so I am trying to see what happened to your system to get corrupted in this way.

Regards,

Simbol 

Edited by simbol

I did not have to disable windows firewall.  I just turned off anti-virus protection, ran the setup program again, and it updated everything.  With the anti-virus program running, the AI Lights Reborn Pro Setup program was blocked by Controlled folder access.  I already had AI Lights Reborn Pro Setup in controlled folder access and in Exclusions.  I have Controlled folder access turned off because turned on, it will turn all files to Read Only so nothing can be written like a config.  Anyway, the above worked. 

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 12/7/2019 at 10:46 AM, simbol said:

Now with AVIRA totally clean. What happens if you disable temporary the windows firewall, open the directory of AI lights reborn, find the program Webupdater_SSL.exe and launch it?

Even with the Windows Firewall completely disabled, the same error message appears...

Thx for the offline updater btw, nice support!

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Create a new user on your computer with admin privileges. Login as that user and see if you can run it. There might be a permission problem on one of the folders associated with your account or with the profile itself.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.