Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

FSX Activation Problem

Just picked up the deluxe version yet it wont let me activate using my key...i enter it and press "next" but it just says thats its either invalid or typed incorrectly. Will it not activate till the 17th?...or did i get a bad key?? (yes ive tried re-typing and rebooting several times) as well as turning off firewall.Thanks for the helpDave

there was a thread in here about that, with maybe a solution, or maybe its over at the other sim site (flightsim?)but it should activate now ...allen

dont think so...its printed in all caps and i tried it both ways with caps on and off (still types it in caps no matter what you do)...no joy

>there was a thread in here about that, with maybe a solution,>or maybe its over at the other sim site (flightsim?)>>but it should activate now ...>>allendid a quick look around (searches) allen but didnt see anything pertaining to this, hmf

Guest pem227

Sounds like a bad key as activation has been working fine for those purchasing early copies of FSX. You could try the activate via telephone option. Phil

anyone have the activation phone number, or is it the basic support number they give in the credits of the manual?

Guest FxF3

I thought you could phone it in to. Hope the didn't stop activations now till oct. 17th.

>I thought you could phone it in to. Hope the didn't stop>activations now till oct. 17th.nope, they dont give you an option to phone it in...im not saying you CANT phone it...but theres no official explanation of how to do that.Well, either its a bad key in my dvd case OR theyve stopped any new activations for now...guess ill find out monday when ms support is aroundDave

>anyone have the activation phone number, or is it the basic>support number they give in the credits of the manual?Look in the root folder for FSX... There's a file there cleverly hidden with the rediculous name:Phone Activation.xmlThis file is read when you choose the Telephone Activation option when the Registration Window appears.For the U.S., the number is TollFree="1-866-740-1256

>>anyone have the activation phone number, or is it the basic>>support number they give in the credits of the manual?>>Look in the root folder for FSX... There's a file there>cleverly hidden with the rediculous name:>>Phone Activation.xml>>This file is read when you choose the Telephone Activation>option when the Registration Window appears.>>For the U.S., the number is TollFree="1-866-740-1256there is no telephone activation option when the registration window appears...not in the retail deluxe version anyway...however i did find that tel# in the xml file earlier this evening which connected me to someone in India...who told me they cant help me without an installation ID code (which is not the product code, and theres nowhere to find this sort of ID code that i can see) so they deferred me to the regular ms support tel# which i will be trying tomorrow or monday.a little frustrating, but not the biggest deal as i can run it this way for 30 minutes at a time and no multiplayer...i think itll be a few weeks before cfg settings will be found thatll allow me to run this things with acceptable rates and also looks...right now im getting horrible chopiness panning left and right in the vc.EDIT** - actually im guess that telephone option must come up AFTER you get passed the initial page where you enter the product key, correct?...well i cant get passsed that 1st screen...i enter the key into the boxes and press "next", then it hangs for about 15 seconds and the error box pops up saying the code is invalid, it doesnt change to a another screen/page where i can choose anything else...it just keeps asking me re-enter it over and over again until i cancel out.Dave

Just trying to help. Are you absolutely sure you are not mis-reading an S for a 5 or a capital O for a zero, an I or an L, a G for a 6, a B for a 8, or something to that affect? I would try the subtitutions anyway to see if that's where the mis-print lies. Good luck...

thats ok i know what you mean...but no thats not the problem...my wife and i both looked it over and over and over again about 50 times and retyped it so many times as well...i know the code isnt wrong actually because sometimes i would purposely type in a bad letter or number just to see what would happen and then it wouldnt hang at all before giving me the error...that error would then pop up right away immediately, whereas when i DID type it in correctly all would hang for about 15-20 seconds before i get the error....funny thing is i dont even see it try to access the internet at all in any attempt to register...im wondering if its a hardware issue somehow that its not liking.Ill post the answer as soon as i find out though.Thanks for trying to helpDave

Perhaps it's a flakey sector on the DVD. I bet the checker is corrupted somehow. Try cleaning the media or check it for finger-prints. I would also seriously recommend you try it on another PC to rull out a hardware-conflict or DVD drive problem. Once you rule out the media and your hardware, I personally would take it back to the store and get another copy. You don't want to live with this problem until FS-XI comes should it indeed be a media issue.

well just off the phone with MS. Theyve confirmed that my product key is indeed invalid. Im going to have to exchange it at the store because they wont be able to issue me a new code for another 4-5 days since its not officially released yet and theyre not really setup to do that sort of thing yet with fsx in a speedy fashion.bummer, this is the first time something like this has happened to me over the years...a misprinted dvd product code .oh well :-)Dave

Unreal, I've never heard of such a thing either. Good luck, I hope they still have it available for you. Grab me a copy too while you're at it, will 'ya? Kidding (waiting, chewing finger-nails for the 17th, LOL)...

I recieved my FSX Deluxe today from Amazon and exactly the same is happening to me. I think it is pretty poor that this is happening but I'm glad I'm not the only one. How does Microsoft think it is going to stamp out piracy if it is going to do this to coustomers who pay good money for their products.Not a happy bunny.Jon.

Jon...the new keys are available now, got mine the other day finally...so you should call MS support so they can generate a new key for you.Obviously the MS computers have either data entered incorrect numbers OR theyre servers never got updated with some of the printed numbers...seems its happened to alot of folks already before release so now im curious to see just how widespread itll be AFTER release!Dave

Guest Brian

Hello Dave,I've got the same problem as you and Jon. I'm in the UK, and unfortunately Microsoft support is closed for the weekend, also my supplier; Just Flight.What telephone number did you ring?

>Hello Dave,>>I've got the same problem as you and Jon. I'm in the UK, and>unfortunately Microsoft support is closed for the weekend,>also my supplier; Just Flight.>>What telephone number did you ring?>>i put these numbers in another post somewhere...but here ya go Brian...theres 2 of them:1-800-426-94001-800-537-8324theyre open on weekends...the first time i spoke to them in fact was last saturday i believe?...anyway...customer service are the folks who issue the new keys...but theyll have to first confirm that your product key is indeed bad..and to do that youll need to have both dvd's and your dvd case handy when you call in as they will want some onfo from those items to check for an invalid code...its a pain in the neck at first reading them all the part #'s and being patient with them, hehe..but once they confirm the code is bad they should give you a new code immediately to use.Dave

Guest Brian

Hi Dave and Jon,Many thanks for your speedy replies.I guess I'll wait until Monday also. Can't imagine the problems ringing from the UK and giving out all those details. :-)All the best!