Sign in to follow this  
kttd

aircraft swerving on runway

Non-pilot looking for advice on how to keep the plane on the center line.  Do not have rudders, so looking for tips or tweaks. 

Have already attempted some editing in the flight tuning section which accomplishes very little on my computer.

//hi_alpha_on_yaw          = 1.0   
//p_factor_on_yaw          = 0.5      
//torque_on_roll           = 0.5         
//gyro_precession_on_yaw   = 0.5          
//gyro_precession_on_pitch = 0.5     
//gyro_precession_on_roll  = 0.5

Regards...

By commenting out these lines you are actually doubling the effects you were trying to get rid off!

You need to set them to zero. 

Why don't you simply set the p-factor, torque and gyro effects to zero in the realism menu instead of editing the cfg file?

regards

Bernt

6 hours ago, DaveUSB said:

Non-pilot looking for advice on how to keep the plane on the center line.  Do not have rudders, so looking for tips or tweaks. 

This aircraft has a "tailwheel lock" that should be used prior to your take off roll and when landing. If memory serves me correctly, it is a lever on the lower center counsel, I believe Shift + G activates it or you can do so with your mouse pointer.

I had the same problem with directional control on take off roll when I pushed the control yoke forward to bring up the tail. When I allowed the tail to raise on its on during take off roll I did not have  much directional (steering) control problems.

If nothing else, you can follow the advice that FDEdev has given you. That should resolve your problem.

Hello,

Have not seen any difference yet with either suggestion.  In all of the payware planes I've used in FSX, I've never seen tail wheel lock act as a deterrent.   Probably rudder pedals are the solution.  Long ago I had one of the "original" Thrustmaster rudder pedals, no idea where it is. 

In any case, no room under the desk.

Thanks to Bernt and Ray for your suggestions, I really appreciate the feedback. 

Still testing.  

The tailwheel lock has only a very limited effect concerning directional stabilization. You still have to use quite a bit of rudder to keep her straight.

Just tested with  hi_alpha_on_yaw = 0  (p_factor_on_yaw etc. as well)  and didn't need any rudder input.  Make sure that there's absolutely zero wind!

Btw, I did have expensive joysticks, pedals, throttles etc. but since years I'm flying now with just a super precise Thrustmaster T16000M, with a twistgrip. 

The best equipment for desktop simming if you need the PC for other things as well.

Update; having moderate success by:

increasing damping ratio slightly to 0.90, 0.95, 0.95

raising pilot weight up to 220 lbs.

47 minutes ago, kttd said:

Update; having moderate success by:

increasing damping ratio slightly to 0.90, 0.95, 0.95

What damping ratios and where did you change them? 

Again, have made sure that there's absolutely no (cross)wind when taking off?  Can't replicate these problems.

station_load.0 = 220,  2.0,  0, 0

point.0 = 1,-21.3,   0.0, -0.30, 1500, 0, 0.6, 35, 0.25, 1.5,     0.90,     4.2, 6.2, 0, 115, 115
point.1 = 1,  2.6,  -6.4, -6.00, 1500, 1, 1.0,  0, 0.85, 1.5,       0.95,     4.8, 6.3, 2, 120, 120  
point.2 = 1,  2.6,   6.4, -6.00, 1500, 2, 1.0,  0, 0.85, 1.5,       0.95,     4.6, 6.1, 3, 125, 125

No cross wind in use.  Probably not the totally correct way to do it, but I'm old and tired and I call this my war-zone band aid.  

That's weird. Sorry that I can't help you any further.

No worries.  These edits allow me to use the software, and I appreciate your help Bernt.

Nice plane, brings a lot of fun, but I also have the problem not to steer it to the left into the grass when starting 😮

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

Even full right rudder doesn't help? Crosswind from the left? 

Although I'm not using this technique, applying more power to the left engine during the early stage of the takeoff run helps.

Even full right rudder doesn't help! Just a little crosswind with a few knots and i can't hold it on the runway!

I have to try a few slightly settings like
[flight_tuning]
rudder_effectiveness        =1.2

I'm gonna try a little bit more...

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

Is it possible to attenuate the crosswind effect a little somewhere in the aircraft.cfg?