Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Let it snow! Official snow season in MSFS

We have seen ice formation on aircraft, but snow accumulation over them could be also amazing!

22 hours ago, ca_metal said:

Which I meant above is, if they bother to code the shaders for the snow on all the scenery elements (buildings, trees, houses, roads etc), why would they just stop there? The feature is implemented already (initial phases, of course), they just need to tweak the other seasonal aspects.

Indeed. And we know they are going to do that. They wont stop there. We know we are going to get seasons. The point is whether they will be available for release and weather this particular video has been released to say to us "look guys we are doing seasons" or "look guys we can do snow". The point is that the video could simply be the developer demonstrating their capability to give us snow. Thus, it could be erroneous for forum members to throw their arms in the air and relate it to "seasons". 

just need to tweak the other seasonal aspects.

I think the process is probably a lot more involved that just tweaking. My point, is that we could quite easily end up with just snow upon release and no representation of seasons. Probably wont happen, I'm just saying lets not be definitive about this stuff and try to "assume" with some very creative reasoning, what the developer intends or will ultimately do. 

If they are to include any seasonal aspect on the sim (snowy environment) they are probably aiming to deliver the other seasonal characteristics also.

Snow isn't a seasonal aspect though necessarily. As I mentioned before, snow can be found in all seasons dependant on the altitude, latitude and location. Snow is weather. And they ARE planning to deliver seasons. We know that already. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:07 AM, martin-w said:

Indeed. And we know they are going to do that. They wont stop there.

1 - My point is, if they released a teaser of snowy sceneries, it was meant to be more than just show the snow, I'm pretty sure their intention was to raise the hype about the seasons. Maybe they will share more details in this week's update.

2- The hard part is already implemented on the engine. They made possible to change the enviroment with the shaders. From the trees to the buildings. Also the orthoimagery can be completely changed with their shaders. So far it is seeming to work really well. 

With the shaders working well for the snow, they now have to tweak the system to show the other seasons characteristics (like orange leafs or no leafs at all on trees). I think that part will be easir, once they already have working shaders (not saying it will be EASY, but easier).

3- In the teaser we can see clearly the snow is an aspect of the winter. Paris is under snow, also other parts of France are shown under snow (not mountanious areas).

If they intended to implement snowflakes as just an aspect of the weather, like I said on my previous comment, they didn't need to use shaders. They could just do the same they did with the implementation of the rain. Raining on the sim didn't made the scenery more wet (they could and probably will use shaders here also) nor raised the level of the body of waters. They just needed to make the snowflakes falling from the sky and maybe tweak the windshield effects to show the snowflakes hitting it. Would be easier for them, but they choose the other way.

That said, I think people can be hopeful about seasons on the release. I don't see the big problem with people being hyped on this thread. They have a reason for that, a really nice teaser from the devs. Also it's fair some people being more cautious about it as we don't have the details.  

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! Please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

I don't see the big problem with people being hyped on this thread.

Nor me. Hype away. I just said we shouldn't be too definitive. 😁 You make some good points. I give up now.

• Like 1

And boom... only took a 1min video to dig X-Plane further...

• Like 1