Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Ultra Wide viewing issues with aircraft - P3D

I have a thread posted over in the general monitor section, but that is more about monitor setup and since this is P3D specific, I thought I would post here as well. 

I just got a Samsung CRG9 49" super ultrawide. I am having issues only with aircraft. scenery looks fine. I transitioned from a 21:9 32" 4K BenQ. I did not change any settings (except for wide aspect ratio) when I switched to the CRG9. All views, internal and external a super skewed. The overhead shot below are from the center 20% of the screen -- so, 80% of the screen or so is the wider view. 

I have toggled wide aspect ratio view in the settings. Also confirmed that it is activated in the CFG. I use chase plane and have tried messing around with the specific view settings (mainly zoom) but nothing seems to work. The zoom on these in the sim is .83. zooming in to 1.5ish does make the scaling look right, but then it is too zoomed in -- ie. on the overhead I can only see a portion of the buttons/switches. Same goes for external view.... the plane ends up taking up most of the screen. 

Any ideas around this? I have tried this on the PMDG 747-8 and the QW 787. Same exact issue. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KaMMotKYvhcVr3897

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qr3LzJ1hnRtbAYQd9

Have you deleted your prepar3d.cfg and let it rebuild? Cleared shaders?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

27 minutes ago, pgde said:

No, I will try this. thanks. 

1 hour ago, pgde said:

It worked, thanks! forgot that this is the best fix for lots of issues!

44 minutes ago, markmasterson said:

Let me know how you like this monitor.  I was going to get it but it was so big....

one word. AMAZING. My almost new BenQ PD3200U is now for sale haha.

Edited by avi8tir

11 hours ago, avi8tir said:

one word. AMAZING. My almost new BenQ PD3200U is now for sale haha.

I don't think Ray is going to be happy with this.  Congrats on the new setup

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

11 hours ago, avi8tir said:

almost new BenQ PD3200U is now for sale

Pity I had not seen this before now.

To me, its the best aspect ratio for flight sim. FOV is wider then in my Samsung Odyssey+ VR headset.

https://ibb.co/t2hHgkv

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

46 minutes ago, vincentrouleau said:

To me, its the best aspect ratio for flight sim. FOV is wider then in my Samsung Odyssey+ VR headset.

https://ibb.co/t2hHgkv

Really? Not to be deliberately contrary, but you can't see the instruments. It seems to me a 4K display of equivalent width will be much better, assuming your PC can drive it of course. The FOV is whatever you choose to make it.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

19 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Really? Not to be deliberately contrary, but you can't see the instruments. It seems to me a 4K display of equivalent width will be much better, assuming your PC can drive it of course. The FOV is whatever you choose to make it.

The ultrawides have one strong point, and that is the sense of speed they give when you're close to the ground. Using a regular 16:9 screen doesn't give quite the same sensation. 

I agree though, that with just 1440 pixels vertically, it doesn't quite cover enough of the cockpit and forward view at the same time. 

Compromises, compromises...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

31 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

The ultrawides have one strong point, and that is the sense of speed they give when you're close to the ground. Using a regular 16:9 screen doesn't give quite the same sensation. 

I dispute this. There will be no difference, assuming a 16:9 display of the same physical width.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

2 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I dispute this. There will be no difference, assuming a 16:9 display of the same physical width.

I have both kinds standing side by side. The narrow vertical field of view definitely helps enhance the sense of speed IMHO. Use it both for flying and racing games.

But for any serious flying I prefer a 55" 4K TV since that gives me most of the cockpit in view, although 4K gives me serious fps issues at the moment (but I'm not replacing any hardware before FS2020 hit the streets). 

Edited by simmerhead

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

3 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I agree with vincentrouleau on this. even after only a few quick flights and landings, the perspective is unreal. 

Yes, the instruments are not as big as they used to be but they are still legible enough. I was somewhat underwhelmed after completing my new 9900k build, even with the upgrade from an Acer Xr34 to the BenQ 4K. 

This monitor has changed that and, after 5 months since my build, I finally feel like my system is complete. It is absolutely the most immersive flight sim experience I have ever had. And I've been simming for 30 years going back to the very beginning. 

Not to mention, I dabbled a bit with RDR2 and The Division 2 last night as well. The monitor provides a whole new experience. 

2 hours ago, avi8tir said:

I agree with vincentrouleau on this. even after only a few quick flights and landings, the perspective is unreal.

With respect, you seem to be agreeing with something nobody has disputed. But he said this monitor has 'the best aspect ratio for flight sim', which is hard to defend. (My reference to the instruments is a comment on the picture he posted.)

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg