Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

Amazing Simple Microstutter Fix

6 minutes ago, SteveW said:

lol.

The VSync On setting refuses to show other frames so can show the little stutters.

Amen!

• Like 1

...another aspect of limiting: In the 30 Hz example 31 fps requires 3.3% extra CPU main task demand than 30.  

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Read this post during my morning coffee.

Now my head hurts and I need another caffeine infusion.....😩

• Like 2

Cheers

Steve Hall

On 2/16/2020 at 9:47 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Well said!

And what I would add is that with Nvidia driver 442.19, you can limit your fps in the Nvidia Control Panel (I have mine set to 29..) and this will cut back on your Core 0 usage..

So, now I have fps set to unlimited in P3D, vsynch off, fps capped at 29 in NCP, and I get smooth flight, and average Core 0 load of 60-70%..

This with a 1080p/60Hz monitor.

Looking pretty good to me :smile:

BTW, I still have my AM set to 253 (11 11 11 01) for my quad core CPU, but not sure it makes any difference to no AM..

Hi Bert,

So have you ditched RTSS in favour of the new setting in nVidia 442.19?

21 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

Read this post during my morning coffee.

Now my head hurts and I need another caffeine infusion.....😩

Me too. I am having a lie down. lol

Baffling overload is that the GPU is steered to the refresh frequency so whether 29.5 or 30.5 it's not necessarily precise as can be seen if traces of fps. So ignore figures just tune what seems best and get on with your flight.

27 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

Hi Bert,

So have you ditched RTSS in favour of the new setting in nVidia 442.19?

Yes  :happy:

Bert

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Yes  :happy:

Cool. Ta. I'll have to give that a go!.

Is the new setting easy to find?

Cheers

Edited by SledDriver

3 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

Is the new setting easy to find?

Cheers

Lol, try it.

(there in the settings list in NCP)

Edited by Dirk98

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

Lol, try it.

(there in the settings list)

Yeah, which settings. NCP? There are several other places it could be.

I hate it when people diss you for asking a simple question in a SUPPORT forum.

Lighten up, dude. I told you where - open up NCP panel and look for it in the settings list. Look at him - he hates it..

NCP = nVidia Control Panel, sorry.

Edited by Dirk98

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

Lighten up, dude. I told you where - open NCP panel and look for it in the settings list. Look at him - he hates it..

NCP = nVidia Control Panel, sorry.

Ta. There ya go! I nice helpful reply. Cheers! 🙂

Ohh...  When already LM will solve this problem

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

Been testing today with the Dell 43" 3840x2160, 60Hz refresh rate stated on the tech details. Often there is a more accurate figure such as 60.54 somewhere close. but I don't have that information for this one, maybe it is bang on 60.

With Nvidia Control Panel, Prepar3D.exe profile, Manage 3D Settings:

Max Frame Rate tested several times each from 64..56 FPS.

In Prepar3D Display Settings:

3840x2160, VSync=On + TB=On + Unlimited 0 on the slider.

With no limit and no VSync I made adjustments to the settings to produce around 80-90fps. Free running this way shows that there is plenty of overhead such that the extra demand of higher frame rate does not eat too much into the fps stability.

Test harness flight: In approach, with bad weather and medium scenery and objects, ORBX Global + EU stack.

Making three runs each took a few hours. Looking at the data showed that 58fps limiter in NCP was the sweet spot, all other tests showed larger overall change to the frequency. The basic quality of stability was 4% higher than 60. Visually, at around 60fps on 60Hz monitor the difference is hard to spot.

The other item of note was that 58fps shows 3% less throughput on the CPU main task. So we can add some trees or shadows.

Rather than think getting a frame in early will make it better, instead I say why limit above what I really want it limited to? Also I can take the advantage of freeing up some CPU throughput.

But the data showed, in my system at least, to be better that way. Also these kind of tests I made several years ago with the same findings.

Remember 30 VSync as discussed can produce a trembling effect. These factors are easier to spot on lower fps. Higher fps has a diminishing time between frames which makes it more consistent, if it can keep up.

...it's a thankless task...

😂

• Upvote 2

A bit late to the party here but I tried in this on a whim and holy word not allowed, it works! I've got a 6700k @ 4.6 with hyperthreading off and fly 4k at 30hz/vsync on. Even though I upgraded to a 2080TI, I had been suffering from stutters on pushback and taxi in at some airports which I thought was due to PBR and such, but after applying the tweak and flying into/out of some performance intensive airports, I've had no stutters in the FSL bus. Great find, can't believe I'm just now seeing this. 

• Like 1

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV