Sign in to follow this  
TASCHMANN

Any chance of a refund on the abandoned Wing42 Vega?

I purchased this add-on as an "early access" offering  21 months ago.  Since that time there have been many promised new features but only one small update and that was about a year ago.  The aircraft in its present state is unflyable and there has been no support on the developer's website.  (His last entry on his own forum was last summer.)

His frequent presence on another website for developers indicates that he is deeply involved in another project unrelated to the add-on for which he has collected payments--the Vega.  Since informing his customers 8 months ago that version 0.9 was, in his words, "close to finish" we have not had a single word from him anywhere about this product.  This shows a lack of respect for his customers which borders on contempt. 

Will he do the ethical thing and refund the purchase price for this seemingly abandoned project?

You should ask the developer ....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Generally speaking, buying a early access software product carries the risk that it will never be completed and this is something that whilst not intended (most such projects generally start out with the best of intentions in this regard, even if they never make it to fruition), is something we know happens frequently.

But as I'm sure you know, it is generally accepted as a possibility and 'part of the deal' where early access funding purchases are concerned. However, to be completely legally a case of dotted 'i's and crossed 't's, it would normally have to be explicitly stated in the EULA that this was part of the risk, and probably was if the developer had any sense. And if that is the case, then you will have some recourse, but probably not much of it, so if there is a EULA with the software, which there should be, then it would be advisable to check that.

It is worth bearing in mind with early access stuff that a survey carried out by Valve (Steam) found that only approximately 25 percent of its titles made available as early access purchases actually ever made it to being a complete product, and so with what would seem to be a 75 percent chance of failure, they make it very clear there is a risk in purchasing this kind of product. Nevertheless, that's an interesting average to be aware of when chancing your arm (and money) on a Beta purchase. This is because contrary to the expectations of many software developers who try the early access funding model, it's most often the case that the product will receive a boost from its early access sales, but will most likely not then gain a large continuous drip of additional funding and if it makes it to launch as a complete product, is not guaranteed to then experience a similar large sales boost at that point, unless it happens to be a massively popular and well advertised product at that later date.

I suspect you will probably end up having to chalk it up to experience given that rather depressing analysis. But as I say, read the EULA and see if you have any guarantees.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

What exactly do you mean with unflyable? My last impression was it was quite nice and far away from beeing unflyable. Even in its early access state it offers already more features and system depth than a major flying texture set developer which name I will not use has ever built in all of its ever released aircraft all together 😁 But I have to check the forum and the latest version I had again... so many planes to fly... So little time...

Cheers T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torsen said:

flying texture set developer

Now that's funny.

Alan Bradbury

6 hours ago, TASCHMANN said:

Will he do the ethical thing and refund the purchase price for this seemingly abandoned project?

I don't own this product, but from what I recall, the software was sold at a significant discount on the final proposed selling price, because it was an early access product. In other words you buy the product 'as it is' and that is what you pay for.

3 hours ago, Torsen said:

What exactly do you mean with unflyable? My last impression was it was quite nice and far away from beeing unflyable.

I agree with Torsen. I understood other users have been complimentary about it's characteristics in it's present state, and the outstanding development work was about adding refinements. You may not get those, but they have not been purchased either.

John B

Thanks to everyone, especially Chock, for taking the time the to advise.  I admit to a lack of foresight in buying a "car"  together with a promise that the "wheels" will be available very soon.  

As to what I mean by "unflyable":

His own Youtube on how to simply start this single engine plane in its present state of development is over sixteen minutes long.  It involves wading through layer upon layer of text popups, some of which are half completed. Nevertheless, if I follow the procedure meticulously the engine will start only to fail a minute or two into the flight---unflyable.  ["Autostart"  is not available.] 

The developer has attempted a very complex set of interrelationships within systems, which is laudable.  But to simply stop working (and stop communicating) midway through the attempt has rendered the product unusable in any real sense.

The suggestion to attempt to contact him directly is a good one. I will do so and report back.

Let me check again tomorrow but as far as I remember I did not have the problems you mention after starting the Vega... I will report back...

Cheers T.

The one which makes me laugh in this regard is Black Box Simulations and their 'prologue' series of Airbuses. Now don't get wrong here, I've bought quite a few of them and they are usable and do have some merit, so I actually do like them, but that has got to be the longest prologue in the history of mankind. 🤣

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Chock said:

The one which makes me laugh in this regard is Black Box Simulations and their 'prologue' series of Airbuses. Now don't get wrong here, I've bought quite a few of them and they are usable and do have some merit, so I actually do like them, but that has got to be the longest prologue in the history of mankind. 🤣

No, that is Level D with the development of their 757...
Years they have claimed that it was in development and it really was being released. 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

9 minutes ago, GSalden said:

No, that is Level D with the development of their 757...
Years they have claimed that it was in development and it really was being released. 

Apple--to-jeep comparison; Level D never took your money with the promise of finishing the product.  In the software business, products get announced all the time that never come to fruition.  It's part of the business 

If you're looking for the poster child for abandoning it's alpha release, it's probably Airsimmer; although, BlackBox isn't far behind.  In fact, coupled with the shenanigans they pulled as PSS, they're probably worse...

Edited by kingm56

Matt King

11 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Apple--to-jeep comparison; Level D never took your money with the promise of finishing the product.  In the software business, products get announced all the time that never come to fruition.  It's part of the business 

If you're looking for the poster child for abandoning it's alpha release, it's probably Airsimmer; although, BlackBox isn't far behind.  In fact, coupled with the shenanigans they pulled as PSS, they're probably worse...

My point was about the longest development of a Fs product. No more, no less....

Abandoning something people paid for without a legit reason is a scam..

Well it's been a week since I emailed Vitus at his website about the Vega.  Radio silence continues.  My only purpose in starting this thread was to alert the community about the fact that the Vega appears to have been abandoned.  I have been very gratified by the advice and support that has been offered.  In the event I should hear of any news regarding what was once a very promising add-on, I will let you all know.

There are postings on Twitter from Wing42 that a MSFS (FS2020) version of the Vega is in the works. A float variant will be included.

123587759_10219147727457293_181857738446

Edited by tailspin45