Sign in to follow this  
RazorBlade

Stability on release date due to excessive data usage?

3 hours ago, fs4fun said:

Azure has a huge global CDN, they can push a lot of the data close to users so it's not all pulling from one central place.

Like I said I am an IT guy. I understand what Azure is. Still, there are not many companies that push so much data on the Internet. Yes, Netflix, Youtube, etc do that as wel and are even much bigger than a release of MSFS but still, this flightsim is rather uniek that it has something like 5 PB of data. Not many games require a connection of 10 Mbit/s to just play the game in full detail.

It is also not just the bandwidth stress of the network but also on the harddisks and SSD's. I assume they place the most used date on SSD and areas that are hardly used will be placed most likely on hard disks.  Still 5 PB is a lot of data and if you don't want to much delay then you have to make multiple copies of that data and distribute that over the globe. This is huge.

On 4/1/2020 at 6:06 PM, RazorBlade said:

If the game costs 100 dollar / Euro then you have a total budget of 15 million. That seems very little for such a big project. How many developers can you hire for 5 years for 15 million Euro / dollar, including office, salary, equipment, supporting personnel etc?

Microsoft paid Asobo to make this game. Microsoft budgets their development - they make a lot of money on Forza and Halo and Game Pass, and they can budget it around.  You don't have to worry about all of that.

53 minutes ago, RazorBlade said:

Still 5 PB is a lot of data and if you don't want to much delay then you have to make multiple copies of that data and distribute that over the globe. This is huge.

No, users won't be downloading 2 PB (not 5 PB) of data because that is what Asobo started with before processing it down to generate what we will actually be downloading. While they haven't said how much data there is after processing it, at least not yet, it is less than what they started with. This is not a new problem, or unique to the new sim, and just requires them properly provisioning the CDN network, much like Netflix et al. have been for years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RazorBlade said:

Like I said I am an IT guy. I understand what Azure is. Still, there are not many companies that push so much data on the Internet. Yes, Netflix, Youtube, etc do that as wel and are even much bigger than a release of MSFS but still, this flightsim is rather uniek that it has something like 5 PB of data. Not many games require a connection of 10 Mbit/s to just play the game in full detail.

It is also not just the bandwidth stress of the network but also on the harddisks and SSD's. I assume they place the most used date on SSD and areas that are hardly used will be placed most likely on hard disks.  Still 5 PB is a lot of data and if you don't want to much delay then you have to make multiple copies of that data and distribute that over the globe. This is huge.

As an IT guy, you should know that the 5pbis actually 2 or 3pb of RAW unprocessed data that ASOBO has, that is processed and minimized long before the simmers 'fly' over a minute portion of the final result.. Just like Google Earth or Maps. Nobody downloads all of that data when using those programs. Have a look at Google Earth''s flight sim, as another example. As an IT guy I'm sure you are aware of that? 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

12 hours ago, Wobbie said:

There will not be 1m MSFS users on day 1.... How long do you think it will take to process payments for the sim?

Not everyone here, or any of the other sim forums will rush to buy MSFS.

Downloading ALL the scenery is nonsenicall . It has been said that, as you fly, you can optionally download the scenery, or cache it.

I'm sure there will be a fair amount of guys that will play the wait & see, to read reviews & to see what hardware is required.

I'm not aware that ASOBO has servers, so it's up to MS & as well as local infrastructure. Also, note that MS are releasing games, that have been far more popular, & have a larger user base than flight simming.

MP15's quote is great!

12 hours ago, Wobbie said:

MP15's quote is great!

thanks 😄

I don't think it will have 1million users on day 300.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:08 PM, goates said:

No, users won't be downloading 2 PB (not 5 PB) of data because that is what Asobo started with before processing it down to generate what we will actually be downloading.

That is not what was stated. Assuming that Azure has 100 data centers around the world, moving x TB of data to all of them consumed a massive amount of bandwidth, not to mention keeping the updated and properly synched.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

That is not what was stated. Assuming that Azure has 100 data centers around the world, moving x TB of data to all of them consumed a massive amount of bandwidth, not to mention keeping the updated and properly synched.

Microsoft interconnects its data centers with its own private global backbone network. They use the public Internet as little as possible. Google, and I imagine most cloud giants such as Amazon, also operate internal backbones similar to this. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/networking/microsoft-global-network

• Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

The post I was responding to was claiming there would 5 petabytes of data to keep in sync, which there won't be. And keeping the actual amount of data the end user will download in sync between the data centres will not be anything special or unique. As I mentioned earlier, Netflix has over 160 million users pulling down HD video already from multiple data centres. One or two million flight users aren't going to be an issue.

No matter what you use AWS AZURE GOOGLE in the end it comes down to your ISP connection and not some magic formula. I started way back with NTL Nynex for TV when I asked about the internet they said it will not catch on with home users, when they did bring it out I was one of the first customers and it was capped , but the speed was amazing no one to compete with in my area then it started to slow as more customers came onboard, I know some friends that work at a cable company and when the traffic gets heavy they throttle, in public they deny this and at certain times it`s happening now due to the lockdown.

Raymond Fry.

3 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Not too sure as to why it's competition to Microsoft future simming?

Future investment will depend on the gaming platform success.

Raymond Fry.

Let`s hope all this will be over soon don't see them releasing anything while this is going on the LIVE COVID-19 feed has been stopped on YouTube and the 4k and HD Quality has been cut down to save bandwidth. And downloads are getting slower.  

Raymond Fry.