Sign in to follow this  
kenthom

Windows 7 to Windows 10.

It appears I will have to finally make the change.  Is there a thread or tutorial that will help me through this?  I am using P3Dv4.  

Thanks.

Disregard.  I'm so used to requesting assistance on this forum that I forget to look elsewhere.

Ken -- I have virtually the same equipment as you. I will not upgrade my PC until mid-next year and don't want to do a full move of all my applications, etc from 7 to 10. So, I decided, in theory at least, to dual-boot my system and leave everything except P3D in 7 and boot into 10 for P3D.

Apparently, you can install Win10 in a small partition of about 16 Gb, so I will chunk out 100 Gb in case of unforeseen installs. I have almost 500 Gb free on my 1 TB SSD.

I can't imagine this would have any downsides. If anybody can identify any, please let me know.

BTW, where did you find your guidance?

Stay well,

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I just looked onto other forums.  Can't say I found anything that really helped.  I have talked to a couple of tech people.  It doesn't sound as easy I thought.  I welcome guidance from the sim world.

For starters, Ken, the free Upgrade Offer from Microsoft to upgrade from Windows 7 OS expired quite a while ago. So, first you'd have to buy a Windows 10 whatever flavour you want Operating System(OS) on disc or an ISO. Once you have that, then I'd suggest a clean install of the Window 10 OS, but before you do that, save all your work, make a list of the drivers you would require for your existing hardware, and then proceed.You can generally re-import all your saved data back into Windows 10.

For example, I still MSO2007,and all my MSO files that I generated and saved in Windows 7 x64 Pro,I was able to re-use in Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Best of Luck making the transition.

Another approach is to update your Win 7 system, as I did, using the free upgrade which is still available. :happy:

Have now been running Win 10 for a few months without any ill effects.  My flightsims still work, as do all my other programs..

Bert

7 minutes ago, vc10man said:

For starters, Ken, the free Upgrade Offer from Microsoft to upgrade from Windows 7 OS expired quite a while ago.

I’ve upgraded 3 Win7 systems (2 pro and 1 home) in the last couple of weeks and the Win7 licence is still accepted. If installing on bare metal do not enter a key during the install phase. Once the install is complete enter your Win 7 key to receive a digital licence. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Tip. If you want to avoid signing in with a Microsoft account when doing a clean install, do not connect to your wired or wireless network until you have passed this stage of the install and have setup a local account instead.

Cheers.

howevr

1 hour ago, howevr said:

I’ve upgraded 3 Win7 systems (2 pro and 1 home) in the last couple of weeks and the Win7 licence is still accepted. If installing on bare metal do not enter a key during the install phase. Once the install is complete enter your Win 7 key to receive a digital licence. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Tip. If you want to avoid signing in with a Microsoft account when doing a clean install, do not connect to your wired or wireless network until you have passed this stage of the install and have setup a local account instead.

Cheers.

Oh? Wasn't aware that MS still did that, a free upgrade, as I saw were ads for their OS discs. Yours and Bert's tips are good to know.

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Another approach is to update your Win 7 system, as I did, using the free upgrade which is still available. :happy:

Have now been running Win 10 for a few months without any ill effects.  My flightsims still work, as do all my other programs..

Hi Bert.  I am completely confused by your post. How does updating your Win 7 get you to running Win 10?  Forgive my ignorance in this matter.

I had both 7 and 10 on my system. My problem with 7 is not I don't want upgrade it, it's just I cant afford the efforts to even reinstall it.

I tried simple upgrade it to 10, not working ,BSOD every 5 minute, so I reinstall the 10, keep the original copy of 7 and use it for most of the time...

Now I might keep using v4 under 7 and start to use 10 for v5, and slowly migrate to it... That will take long,...Firstly , I need to get all my joystick and vjoy drivers for 10....

BTW, I tried to backup P3Dv4 folder, install it under same path win10, and override the new installation by backedup one. it works, so now I do have one file set of P3Dv4 under both my OS, BUT most complex add-ons would not simply work, I still need to reinstall them..... that's the iceberg tip of what I mean " I cant afford the efforts"

Edited by C2615

My  2  cents  here  if  you  do decide  to  upgrade  to  win  10  than i  would  start  from  scratch and  complete  new install of  win  10,  which  of  course  you need  to  reinstall  everything  again  at  least  you will have  a fresh install

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

57 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

My  2  cents  here  if  you  do decide  to  upgrade  to  win  10  than i  would  start  from  scratch and  complete  new install of  win  10,  which  of  course  you need  to  reinstall  everything  again  at  least  you will have  a fresh install

Why bother? Microsoft is getting pretty good at this..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

3 hours ago, kenthom said:

Hi Bert.  I am completely confused by your post. How does updating your Win 7 get you to running Win 10?  Forgive my ignorance in this matter.

Update.. upgrade.. same thing in this case. :happy:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thought this was an old thread from 2016.....Please upgrade and move from the middle ages into the modern era...I always upgraded to the next windows version and never had many problems. Usually, if there is a major issue, the cause is sitting in front of the monitor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Why bother? Microsoft is getting pretty good at this..

depends if  you  want  a  clean install  which i did  and  havnt had  any  issues  with  any  addon   at  all

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg