Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan G Martin

Would someone clarify exacty how the licensing works for FSX, and

exactly how many installs are allowed?A lot of us upgrade our computers from time to time; so this could affect re-installation.

Guest tdragger

You are allowed to install FSX on two PCs. When you activate your copy the software looks at your hardware configuration. If it ever detects a drastic change it will prompt you to reactivate. (Note that common tasks like swapping video cards or adding memory should not cause a re-activation.) If an activation attempt is unsuccessful you can all a support number and explain your situation and they may grant you a new activation.

tdragger...what if the hardware doesnt change at all but you reformat the hard drive and do a fresh reinstall the Operating system...or even change operating systems like when some of us switch to vista later on?will this count as a 2nd install?Dave

Guest tdragger

If the hardware doesn't change you should be okay, with the caveat that the OS provides info on the hardware so a new OS might report the same hardware differently. FWIW I've activated my work PC at least two dozen times with the same key without problems.

thanks for the info tdragger....sounds like some might encounter problems and others wont...i dont do reformats very often but this is something that might make me hold off even longer for fear of having it cost me......which by the way brings another question to mind...do you have any idea of what MS will actually charge for another product key if we ever needed it?....will it be the same as the SRP or will it be a reduced fee?thanks again for being here :-)Dave

>...which by the way brings another question to mind...do you>have any idea of what MS will actually charge for another>product key if we ever needed it?....will it be the same as>the SRP or will it be a reduced fee?Good Question Dave...TDragger, I just want to make sure I understand this whole activation thing...1.)I buy FSX and install it on my home machine..First install.2.)3 months from now I buy a new Intel CPU and motherboard, install it again..thats the second install as a new MB should register a "new" machine.3.) 6 months after that AMD comes out with their new CPU (hypothical) and I buy that CPU and a new motherboard to run it..That would be the third install and the activation won't work, right? So will I be charged all over again for the software or do I just call in and MS confims it's me and gives me a new number?I'm confused :-hmmm Thanks in advance for your help!!

I'm confused as well.I think that a lot of us potentially makes a hardware update at least once or twice a year. It would not IMHO not seem fair that we should have to explain our selves every time that happens (after the second update) - and I'm not sure - but for some of us that would be an overseas call.If this is true, then it's a first as far as I know.

>If the hardware doesn't change you should be okay, with the>caveat that the OS provides info on the hardware so a new OS>might report the same hardware differently. FWIW I've>activated my work PC at least two dozen times with the same>key without problems.What does 'FWIW' mean?

>exactly how many installs are allowed?>>A lot of us upgrade our computers from time to time; so this>could affect re-installation.If the install nonsense works like WindowsXP then I believe we will all be ok.

The verified install works exactly the same way the install of Windows XP works.Most of us have been using this identical scheme for three years or more.If you have not had trouble with reactivating Windows XP after hardware changes - you will not have trouble with reactivating FSX.Actually I'd be more worried about the OS than the application.

Ok, I'm finally going to come clean. I've tried to just "shut-Up" for a few days. I got the product about 10 days ago, and have not installed it yet. Why, one might ask ?Because I read on the this forum about the relatively poor performance. My machine is about three years old and while top quality for it's day, it's now obsolete by FSX and other standards.I also read the rumor about a two install limit.So to get even a decent interim machine, I'm lookin at $1800 dollars and another FSX install. That's O.K. But that's also install number two (my last one), if I put it on my old obsolete machine now.Now when Vista, and DX-10 finally settle in at some time in the future, I am quite certain the machines/processors of the day will have well advanced again, and I'll really want that one.And I'll just be daXXed if I'm going to reward MS by buying the product again after putting out what appears to be a questionable product in the first place.I'm about to give up this hobby, and "two installs only" may just do it for me as the last straw. I am try my hardest to just be kind here, but enough is enough when it comes to this poor performance, the multiple software (2 copies), tweak it to death for mediocrity, and machine buying hassles !!!!!But especially when I find outI have to buy two copies of the same product within one year, just to get where I want to be.This is just not right, and it's getting down to principle !It was MS that brought this product out at the wrong time, and I believe they should step up to the plate and take at least some responsibility as it relates to this matter.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

I'm with ya 100% Bob. I'd rather have to keep the DVD in the drive than be limited to 2 installs. But that's not really the point I think. I think to point is to boost revenue. I've heard MS is doing the same thing with Vista. 2 installs only. And that piece of software will be significanly(SP?) more expensive than FS......I would LOVE IT if someone from MS would chime in an prove me wrong....pretty please with a cherry on top??If it turns out that yes, you have to "re-buy" the software, or key again, I'd be willing to bet the hardware vendors out there would be hopping mad as there are lots of folks who will choose to keep the software on their machine an just not upgrade for fear of incuring another "install".....

Qoute"If the hardware doesn't change you should be okay"What happens if it does??I can't see a proper answer here - if I build a new computer after the third or fourth install - what happens if MS say I can't have a new key. Bit confused here.