Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Chasing Stuttering Red Herrings...and then Eureka!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!

I have been chasing those particular word not allowed stutters since v4.0... and this was the issue the whole time???  I just did a few test flights with that on and off, and I'll be damned if I can now induce those "surge stutters" (to coin a phrase) at will, at least in the few scenarios I tested.  Anchorage in Orbx Southern Alaska, for example, is a particularly nasty scenario with the wrong settings (three big airports, water, lots of autogen and dozens of airfields all over the place), and this made flying there a much less frustrating experience.

I need to do some more testing, but it is definitely not a placebo since those "hiccups" that you describe are really easy to see.

I think this is a Windows problem not a P3D problem. I've seen it in beta testing. Has to do with a update to Windows10..

Try this: Right click p3d icon, go to properties, check the box for "disable full screen optimisations"

See if it gives the same effect as unchecking that box in P3D.

Slayer, I have had "disable full screen optimizations" checked on all of my shortcuts for a while now, and even toggled the documented registry edits to make sure Game Mode was not running. None of that was doing me any good until messing with the Auto-Fill setting. I don't know if there was something in my Windows setup that was preventing that from working for P3D, but I can verify on my system this seems to make a big difference. I'm scratching my head as to why, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

This might make the wait for v5 to be fixed a little more tolerable. 🙂

Edited by PurdueKev

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

6 hours ago, Noel said:

Addendum:  might as well ask--any way to get the screen to fill all the way out w/o checking the box?  I know there is no native full screen mode.  

In prepar3d.cfg, I tried changing LocationFullScreen=x1,x2,x3,x4. I changed x3 and x4 to the resolution of my monitor and kept x1 and x2 at 0. For example, I have a 1920x1080 monitor, so I changed that line to ...

LocationFullScreen=0,0,1920,1080

It didn't work. Each time I tried, it changed back to LocationFullScreen=0,0,1912,1072. Can't figure why.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

5 minutes ago, JRMurray said:

In prepar3d.cfg, I tried changing LocationFullScreen=x1,x2,x3,x4. I changed x3 and x4 to the resolution of my monitor and kept x1 and x2 at 0. For example, I have a 1920x1080 monitor, so I changed that line to ...

LocationFullScreen=0,0,1920,1080

It didn't work. Each time I tried, it changed back to LocationFullScreen=0,0,1912,1072. Can't figure why.

Because you loose pixels for the window border width? 4 pixels each side.

Edited by Slayer

5 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Because you loose pixels for the window border width? 4 pixels each side.

Thanks, Steve. That's got to be the reason. Too bad. As a workaround, I've changed my wallpaper to a black background.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Did nothing for me.

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

36 minutes ago, J0nx said:

Did nothing for me.

Same. I have stutter-free performance whether "Auto-Fill Main View" is checked, or unchecked. Using Nvidia driver fps limit at 30 on a 2560X1440 Gsync monitor.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Same. I have stutter-free performance whether "Auto-Fill Main View" is checked, or unchecked. Using Nvidia driver fps limit at 30 on a 2560X1440 Gsync monitor.

Limiting fps that low won't work for me and disables Gsync anyway. I am running my monitor at 50Hz for P3D with Gsync enabled - my monitor is not capable of 30 Hz. If you aren't seeing these stutters in your setup in the first place, this won't have any effect.

Edited by PurdueKev

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

I found a nifty little app called Borderless Gaming for just this purpose.  Does exactly what P3D's auto-fill does but the stuttering issue described above remains gone :biggrin:.  Oh man I am stoked!

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/borderless_gaming.html

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Also, I'm testing this now what LM Beau Hollis suggested disabling full screen optimizations and disabling game bar as well so I am testing for that right now.  If those two actions don't help there is fortunately Borderless Gaming.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

An interesting thread, Noel. I have had "Auto Fill Main View" enabled for as long as I can remember, so I am going to test this theory with the option disabled during my next series of flights. I will let you know if it makes a difference.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 hours ago, somiller said:

It's just a placebo for the OP. All that function does is adjust the size of the application window to the screen. Nothing more. Why would it have any effect on stutters? It does one thing (fill the screen) and nothing else until you tell it to.

Every other day on this forum it's someone bursting through the door to tell us about their latest revelation. 🙄

1 minute ago, Chapstick said:

It's just a placebo for the OP. All that function does is adjust the size of the application window to the screen. Nothing more. Why would it have any effect on stutters? It does one thing (fill the screen) and nothing else until you tell it to.

Every other day on this forum it's someone bursting through the door to tell us about their latest revelation. 🙄

Stutters is placebo now, gotcha. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Solutions to problems are not always the logical ones. I will reserve judgement until I have tested it.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Stutters is placebo now, gotcha. 

Sorry you had trouble interpreting my post. I'll try to make it easier to read next time.

Just now, Chapstick said:

Sorry you had trouble interpreting my post. I'll try to make it easier to read next time.

Sorry you can't make a post without being condescending and adding roll eyes.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB