Sign in to follow this  
avhpilot

Prepar3D V5 VR on old PC ?

I anticipate that MSFS2020 will be VR ready somewhere 2021 and only THEN will i build a new super gaming pc system, not sooner.

Currently i am OK flying VR Rift CV1 with Flyinside and FSXSE with framerates varying between 5-20. Since the FPS in the cockpit is 90 i do not really care that much if the world around me only updates with low framerate like 20 FPS max.

What I do find frustrating is that i am very often getting memory issues (VAS running full) due to the Orbx global, vector, openlc areas etc..... or the mousecursor dissappearing after a while, That, together with some texture issues (airport buildings dissappear at night) i think has to do with Flyinside but i am not sure. 

Would it be worth trying Prepar3D V5 now that it has improved performance with similar settings ? 

i7 980 X (6-core) at 3.30 Ghz clock, 12 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB SSD drive GTX780 6GB VRAM STRIX, Oculus Rift CV1 -

Or should i just forget about it? I would need to clear some serious hard drive space for it

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Definitely not yet.  1. P3D v5 has some serious issues at the moment, not the least of which is their VR implementation.  Just like last year, they release the software but the VR (among other things) has to be patched etc.  It still has issues  - and I too am using Oculus CV1. 

2.  You are not going to be happy with the performance based on the fact that you are used to FlyInside (which has excellent VR interfacing) AND the fact that, the reality is you need a faster PC to make it on par with what you are used to.  I'd hang out for awhile and wait.  

• Like 1

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

I haven't tried v5, but with v4.5 I would consider a 1080ti to be the absolute minimum for enjoyable VR using complex addons.

• Like 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

ok thanks for your input. No switch from Steam FSX to P3Dv5 for me any time soon i think,,,

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

17 hours ago, avhpilot said:

ok thanks for your input. No switch from Steam FSX to P3Dv5 for me any time soon i think,,,

Now switch for me until FS2020 releases, I'm far to invested in FSX addon wise.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2