Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Goodnight, Vienna (well good day really!)

It's been a while, but I do intend continuing to fly to the destinations on the 1969 London to Sydney Air Race in the type which won the race - the Flying Land Rover, the BN-2 Islander. I decided to use some external shots of the Islander to show off Flight1's version to better capture some of the aerial shots, even if the paintjob isn't the right one - I'm not pressurising the painter to come up with the goods, I'm not that kind of person!

Taxiing out on a nice Austrian morning.

UljkKya.jpg

Positive Rate! .. Gear U.... eh? Where's the gear handle? oops look where I'm going! Aviate, kick myself for lack of Navigating, think of story to Communicate to ATC :biggrin:

4cqJ90f.jpg

Good day, Vienna! All 50 skeletons in the dustbin are busy fornicating - i.e. the noise level is as to be expected in the climb!

umwt4ji.jpg

This flight will be VFR all the way at 9000 feet.

1KNKqqn.jpg

We'll make it over the top.. I think this is called Volujak in Bosnia Herzegovina.

XqAfJOz.jpg

At about 2 o'clock that's Lake Ohrid and just in front of the windscreen centre pillar is Lake Prespa, North Macedonia.

dqWV5fq.jpg

Here's Mount Olympus. (FSX NOTAM landclass over a reasonable mesh, way better than stock FSX)

sexKX3A.jpg

The Aegean Sea - not far to go now.

PuJhBfo.jpg

LGAV ahead. We're going to be entering a left downwind for RWY3L. (FSX NOTAM this is far clearer than Google Maps - it appears that all the Greek airports are pixellated...:blink:)

0UR6FsA.jpg

.. and the outside air temperature gauge is... right where you don't want it to be!! :wacko:

8VZ3fPz.jpg

She's down safely with about 15 gallons left in each tank.

x9qxPj8.jpg

o92sxAo.jpg

IKEA probably make more aerodynamic furniture than the Islander! Just kidding, she was built to do a job and do it well.

gRzIdEM.jpg

Get the kettle on!

UOtznnH.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

What a fabulous storyline. Well put together, Mark. Yeah I am old enough to remember that Air Race and the Car Rally too.Just proved how small a world it really is. Now you prompt me to dig out my F1 BN-2. Only snag is I don't have a P3Dv4 version.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rick! I'll be visiting the other destinations as and when. Due to the range of the Islander there will no doubt be extra stopping off points :biggrin: The real race entrant used some kind of ferry configuration.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Mark, great that you've re-started on the voyage....no hurry, there is no "real" reward waiting, in Australia, except for the sense of achievement, which, itself, will be well worth it, for sure....!

[Like the pictures and narrative, here, and the nice touches of humor, hmm...OK....mostly......🙂...]

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, P_7878 said:

touches of humor

That's Lancashire humour for you. 🤣

• Like 1