Sign in to follow this  
captain420

P3D v5 BSOD problems

Im experiencing a lot of BSOD lately from P3D v5 HF1. I have made some notes to see if I can figure out the cause and hope that you guys can help me pinpoint the problem. I am going to do some tests and attach some pictures with stats of my systems while in different stages of the sim.

Here's me idling at Orbx KHAF. In this area I have Flightbeam's KSFO HD, Orbx Northern California, Global Base, Buildings HD, Trees HD, TerraFlora v2, OpenLC NA, Active Sky P3D, Truesky Enabled, RAAS Pro, GSX, Global Ship Traffic v2, AIG AI and running at 4K.

image.png

This is me flying past KSFO right before where my machine BSOD.

image.png

My CPU Utilization while idling on the runway at KHAF

image.png

My GPU Utilization while idling on the runway at KHAF

image.png

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It looks like your overclock is failing.  Lower some clocks.  See on Utilizations - CPU 2 and 4 is at 21%ish rest are high.  Have you done a stress test on your cpu with your overclock.  I will into KHAF for you and post a screenshot.  If it is a scenery problem then Orbx forums will be your best bet

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Hmmm I noticed the max temp my CPU got was 85C right before BSOD. Could it be it BSOD to protect the CPU from overheating? What is the max temperature a CPU can hit before it shuts off the computer and goes into protection? If that's the case, them it could be the problem. Insufficient cooling of my CPU.

Update: This time I'm flying south instead, away from KSFO and noticed that my CPU at it's max temp is 87.

image.png

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Hmmm I noticed the max temp my CPU got was 85C right before BSOD. Could it be it BSOD to protect the CPU from overheating? What is the max temperature a CPU can hit before it shuts off the computer and goes into protection? If that's the case, them it could be the problem. Insufficient cooling of my CPU.

TJ Max for the 3770k is 105C, then it would start to throttle and if it got any higher, it would do a shutdown. 

Sounds more like a bad component, unstable overclock, faulty RAM stick, wonky driver or the likes. 

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 minute ago, Sethos said:

Sounds more like a bad component, unstable overclock, faulty RAM stick or the likes. 

RAM is not faulty, already performed a memory test. Don't see how my OC is unstable. All these years I've been running without any problems and I play many other games on my machine as well. I'm thinking it's a heating issue.

Edited by captain420

Just now, captain420 said:

RAM is not faulty, already performed a memory test. Don't see how my OC is unstable. All these years I've been running without any problems and I play many other games on my machine as well.

Overclocks can become unstable as silicone degrade due to usage and heat over the years, so that can easily happen. You need to analyze your BSOD error message, find out how to get the most accurate dump and data reading, then proceed from there. Because a BSOD isn't just a general thing, it holds a ton of information pertaining to the issue. Also, how did you perform said memory tests?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

administratrive-tools-controlpanel.jpg?i

Not sure how to get a detailed log and analyze it but this is what Bluescreenview captures:

image.png

22 minutes ago, captain420 said:

administratrive-tools-controlpanel.jpg?i

Yeah, that's pretty much useless. If you want an accurate test, you need a third party tool that does a lot of passes and completely fills the RAM to actually find out whether there's any read errors or not. The current 'gold standard' is the RAM Test from Karhu Software. It has a small initial purchase fee but it's the fastest tool out there. Some of the other brands can spend 12-24 hours to do enough coverage. You can Google it, check various Reddit threads, it comes highly recommended. Then you let that run to perhaps 1200% coverage, if you manage that with zero errors, you could comfortable rule out your RAM I'd say. 

Your BSODs don't really tell much. At that point, you probably need to get into the more advance stuff with Microsoft's own debugging tools, which you definitely need to Google to use and understand. That will give you a much more detailed view and understanding of the BSOD dumps. 

In any case, you've hit the fun jackpot of obscure troubleshooting. 

Edited by Sethos

10 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Overclocks can become unstable as silicone degrade due to usage and heat over the years, so that can easily happen. You need to analyze your BSOD error message, find out how to get the most accurate dump and data reading, then proceed from there. Because a BSOD isn't just a general thing, it holds a ton of information pertaining to the issue. Also, how did you perform said memory tests?

While I have you all here....similar question...I am reading GPU utilization on my GPU (same monitor) 100% is that normal..? and constantly runs at 100%https://imgur.com/a/6JanctH

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Alex 

Just now, cyyzrwy24 said:

While I have all here....similar question...I am reading GPU utilization on my GPU (same monitor) 100% is that normal..? and constantly runs at 100%https://imgur.com/a/6JanctH

You seem to be looking at the Max value, that will always be 100% if you've hit that once. The three brackets represents Min, Current and Max I believe. 

5 minutes ago, Sethos said:

You seem to be looking at the Max value, that will always be 100% if you've hit that once. The three brackets represents Min, Current and Max I believe. 

Nope...I am looking at it now and it is 100% as Value and 100% as a max but min is 0%...just not sure if that's correct to be always at 100%....Thanks

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Alex 

Having owned a shedding dog along with many of her friends stopping over, a BSOD with ntoskrnl.dll was the alarm clock -- "clean me up you i_d_i_o_t!" (~ once a month) Fine after that.
Max rated temps of the cpu may not mean anything..
Directly underneath your cpu, on the motherboard, there are usually some simple cpu support circuits. They get heated from convection and are not cooled except for air flow. If those start acting up due to heat then your CPU will wonk out -or- send a signal to OS  that something is wrong.
Just cool it down, you should be good.  

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

7 hours ago, Sethos said:

Yeah, that's pretty much useless. If you want an accurate test, you need a third party tool that does a lot of passes and completely fills the RAM to actually find out whether there's any read errors or not. The current 'gold standard' is the RAM Test from Karhu Software. It has a small initial purchase fee but it's the fastest tool out there. Some of the other brands can spend 12-24 hours to do enough coverage. You can Google it, check various Reddit threads, it comes highly recommended. Then you let that run to perhaps 1200% coverage, if you manage that with zero errors, you could comfortable rule out your RAM I'd say. 

Your BSODs don't really tell much. At that point, you probably need to get into the more advance stuff with Microsoft's own debugging tools, which you definitely need to Google to use and understand. That will give you a much more detailed view and understanding of the BSOD dumps. 

In any case, you've hit the fun jackpot of obscure troubleshooting. 

I have not used the tool you recommend so it may compensate for it but the ideal way to test memory is stick by stick. When all slots are populated the built in error correcting of the mobo can give false reports. Now, if the memory test isolates the sticks, which most do not, then results would be more accurate.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

When all slots are populated the built in error correcting of the mobo can give false reports.

That would only hold true if it were ECC (error checking and correcting) memory, which would be a very rare find on a consumer-grade mobo.  That's the kind of memory generally found on mission-critical server systems with Xeon CPUs.

I use MemTest 86+, and a thorough multi-pass test profile (10 or more full passes) needs to run for probably 8-10 hours minimum.  An iffy DIMM that only throws the occasional error when under heavy load is not likely to show itself right away.

Given that the minidump shows mostly 3B errors, I'd start by backing off any GPU/VRAM overclock to nVidia stock settings (including a factory overclock), and consider clean install of a different set of graphics drivers.  3B errors are often associated with driver problems.  Notably, however, there was one 101 error listed in there too, and those are usually a symptom of an unstable CPU overclock.

So if the memory test comes back clean after a thorough overnight run, I'd recommend setting chip manufacturer's stock speeds on both the CPU and GPU, and see if the error occurs under those conditions.  If not, it's pretty clearly an unstable OC.  If so, then more butt pain lies ahead.

• Like 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case