Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Boeing (Pax) 727 Collection (II) - Spectrum of Colors

Following up, on my earlier (post) of the (-100F/-200F) set, please find, here, next, a selected group of 20 images from the CS 727 Pax (-100/-200) variants. I believe I've now acquired most of the available CS 727 repaints of interest to me...! Unlike the Freighter snapshots, this collection of pictures, is taken after lift-off - from either 11/29 or 02/20 Rwys of Yakutat (PAYA) airport, which has, now, become a favorite of mine...with (an uniquely enduring appeal, of its own,...plus its two (good) runways, are also long enough for mid-size jets)!

The 727 was one of the noisiest commercial jetliners, categorized as Stage 2, which mandated the gradual introduction of quieter Stage 3 aircraft. The 727's (original) JT8D jet engines used older "low-bypass" turbofan technology, whereas Stage 3 aircraft used the more efficient and quieter "high-bypass" turbofan design (Stage 2 is quieter than Stage 1, and, in turn, Stage 3 will be quieter than Stage 2). And, as I was taking a 2nd look at my (posted) Freighter set, I noticed the conspicuous marking "STAGE THREE" on the (side) engine of the DHL livery, and also, the fact that HeavyLift, as noted there, was an Australian cargo operator, but moved to U.S. due to aircraft noise regulations. Truly enough, it seems, noise restrictions vary significantly by region and country.  "The EU has strict noise regulations, and it’s becoming more and more difficult to manage Stage 2 operations (even with "hush" kits) in that region. Elsewhere, some countries – like Japan – do not permit Stage 2 operations, while others – like Australia – have curfews on Stage 2. On the other hand, countries like China or those in Central America, South America, Africa and the Middle East, do not have Stage 2 restrictions at this time." In the U.S., FAA Stage 2 Noise Ban Rule, now, prohibits older Jet airplanes, with a maximum weight of 75,000 pounds or less, from operating within the 48 contiguous states in the U.S. effective Dec. 31, 2015, unless they meet Stage 3 noise levels. So, I was glad, that the (shown) DHL 727 freighter, had, hopefully, still, some (active) life, left, in it, while operating in the U.S.!

Below, the first 10 images, are for (-100) and the next 10 are for (-200). You don't need to count...the (-200) set starts where the lighting reverts back to daylight. Hope, you enjoy these images, that give a perspective on the widespread (past) deployment of this aircraft, in service, all over the world!

Thanks for viewing and Good rest of weekend!!

[Orbx(PAYA), CS(727 -100/-200), REX]

[And, today's (random) thought for myself: While, I, surely, enjoy (and, so, wish to retain) my FSX-SE (along with its life-time supply of "quality" aircraft!), on my (current) moderate system; I, also, certainly hope, one day, to enjoy the beauty of "MSFS" and the authenticity of "DCS", platforms, on a newer (and more robust) system,...it's just that, some "diplomatic" negotiations...🙂...will be needed, in due course,...for diversion of the needed funds...we'll see...]

And, a few notes on some of these images, below:

1. Boeing 727-022, N7001U, shown below, was (originally) the 727 Prototype Airplane, i.e. the very first 727, produced, off the drawing board, so to speak! Following the conclusion of flight-test program, it was then sold to United Airlines, and entered regular passenger service with the Airline. N7001U spent its entire (illustrious) career flying for United Airlines, where it racked up 64,495 flight hours, made 48,060 landings, and flew an estimated three million passengers until it was retired, and donated to the Museum of Flight in Seattle in 1991, where it is, now, on permanent display in the Aviation Pavilion (deservedly happy ending to a glorious life!). I had a chance to visit this exhibit during one of my trips to Seattle. You may view a 2.5 min video of the very last flight (to KBFI) of this very first 727, by searching for "last flight N7001U b727 video". After touch-down, the roll-out bit, till its nose-gears come down, is nice to watch.
  2. The (unusual, and, curious-looking, BA livery) N284AT 727-22, was leased, by British Airways, from American Transair (ATA) for a few months in the summer of 1988 (notice "ATA" logo on the tail). It had started its life, new, with United Air Lines as N7087U in 1967.
  3. On the Eastern livery, note the (special) logo at left-front - (1776 "what so proudly we hail" 1976) - as commemoration of the U.S. Bicentennial Celebrations.
  4. You may recall my Air West Fokker F-27. Here is the same (pink-red) Air West livery for B727-100 (a colleague of the F-27, within the same Air West fleet).
  5. Braniff International (BI), in the 1960s, had introduced dramatic (and bold) color palettes - comprising nearly 15 "jelly bean" variations (with the slogan "End of the Plain Plane"). Here, below, is a (Red color scheme) example of it.
  6. The JAT 727-200 is added, here, just to jog some pleasant (or was it unpleasant...🙂...) travel memories of Rick A...while abroad!
  7. The last (20th) image shows a Condor 727-200, at dusk, with its rear gears, positioned just above the silhouette of Mt. Saint Elias, 65 miles away, from Yakutat.

t8HblF.png

s0FELe.png

LiFCBS.png

dTGsZC.png

ESyWQb.png

SKG7FJ.png

Nrhsly.png

S53HR4.png

o30seS.png

95mhbz.png

FFMMHU.png

LFpHNW.png

HhrKnT.png

YeYNw4.png

dJqtvj.png

tiCj2K.png

xvAjq8.png

Xv4pTT.png

6FuFnZ.png

9qp8aA.png

• Like 4

Very, very nice!

I love these liveries from glory days and golden years of the 727 :wub:

I've got this picture from my brother (from former times, it's FS9).
oLLYESQ.jpg 

Don't know if it is allowed that somebody else is adding a picture, because it will exceed the number of 20 pics.
Otherwise I will delete it immediately resp. it may be deleted.

• Like 1

Always safe landings 😉
Torsten

That JAT brings back memories, already commented on.

• Like 1

Rick Almeida

Great pics of that classic airplane. When I was young I was lucky enough to have flights on both LH and AA 727s.

And the roaring sound of the engines as well as the smoke trails is something I won´t ever forget.

• Like 1

NWATech: Agree...something about those 3-holers....!

Torsten: Thanks! That "metal" Condor Livery...looks so lovely, as it is, (but, it might do with some PBR...🙂....as some would say....)
(And, yes, if the picture stays or goes, we will be fine...)

Rick: Yes, I recall the comments,...thanks, still, good or bad, experiences are experiences...glad it helped bring back a bit, that trip of yours...!

2 hours ago, duesenwerni said:

Great pics of that classic airplane. When I was young I was lucky enough to have flights on both LH and AA 727s.

And the roaring sound of the engines as well as the smoke trails is something I won´t ever forget.

Appreciated the kind words...yes, sound and smoke...that's what most remember, for sure, about it. Great memories, here...with these things pretty much gone by now....(except in very few parts of the world)...

Your comment made me look up a bit:
Last January, (Iran) Aseman Airlines', EP-ASB, 727-200Adv, did the last recorded commercial (pax) flight in the world. The nearly 40 year old plane, did a two-hour domestic route (612 miles) from Zahedan to Tehran's Mehrabad International Airport on Sunday 13 January....Believe it or not, even after retirement, it would be still used on calls of duty for charter and freight...(unbelievable workhorses, these were....will be good to get some final rest though)....

36 minutes ago, P_7878 said:

Yes, I recall the comments,...thanks, still, good or bad, experiences are experiences...glad it helped bring back a bit, that trip of yours

Trouble was, that in the Cold War era, Communist airlines did not have to worry like Western airlines about funding, fuel costs, etc, etc, cross-competition, bad or abject Customer Services because they knew, come hell, high water, rain or sunshine, they were going to get their monthly salaries paid and the airliners they flew in funded by their respective Governments. Not so, Pan-Am,TWA, Northwest, et al

Rick Almeida