Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

FS2004 Total Backup?

Is there a way that I can make a complete, and I mean complete backup of my FS2004 installation? I understand about copying the FS2004 folder, but what else would I need to copy to get a complete, able to transfer to another computer, backup? Thanks!

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

You may have activation problems when you try to use it on another PC, never tried it.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, LTCSZ said:

Is there a way that I can make a complete, and I mean complete backup of my FS2004 installation? I understand about copying the FS2004 folder, but what else would I need to copy to get a complete, able to transfer to another computer, backup? Thanks!

I have my FS2004 installed in it's own folder on the main drive, NOT in Program Files, Microsoft Games, etc et, and that's where all files have gone into. 

The one file I know for sure not in there in the FS9.CFG. It's somewhere else, not sure, at work at the moment. So you will have to search for that if you have made any changes to it. If no changes, you can skip that as it will rewrite a fresh one whenever your next start of FS9 occurs. I also believe that the user flights do not reside in your main folder either, but you can check that by creating a flight in FS9 and checking the folder when it asks you to save.

The only other thing I can think of, though I am not sure how it works, is any payware aircraft and scenery that may write to your registry folder, and if they will be affected by this? I do not know how all of that works.

Here's my suggestion that I posted in answer to your post at www.flightsim.com...

It's easy to make a backup of FS2004.. Nothing fancy needed! 

1. Get a portable hard drive
2. Copy the whole Flight Simulator 9 folder (from C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games to the portable drive (you have done the9.1 update & patch!)
3. Copy Flight Simulator Files from My Documents to the portable drive
4. Copy the fs9.cfg to the portable drive
The easiest way to find this, is to download Everything from https://www.voidtools.com/ It's the fastest desktop search engine, & it will find what you are looking for as you type.

5. Download the Registry Repair tool from https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & paste it on the portable drive.. (after copying & pasting the backup sim, run this, & it will tell the registry where the sim is situated.

I use Teracopy from https://www.codesector.com/teracopy This is the fastest copy utility I've found.

I have a backup on my portable drive that I've used many times to install multiple instances of FS2004 (I have 8 different versions currently)

So, no drama at all to backup FS2004.
NOTE: You will probably have to re-install PAYWARE add-ons.

Edited by Wobbie
  • Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

8 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

You may have activation problems when you try to use it on another PC, never tried it.

Nope, not at all.. I've done it many times. Cannot have an activation problem, as it did not needed to be activated in the first place.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Thanks for the detailed description! Working on it now...

Steve

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Great. Enjoy. I've done that with a fresh FS2004 install, as well as an install that includes scenery & stuff that I always use.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

3 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Nope, not at all.. I've done it many times. Cannot have an activation problem, as it did not needed to be activated in the first place.

Yes, very much so. With some addons. Captain Sim's copy-protection comes to mind. I suspect some utilities also need fresh registry entries.

Also, the OP needs to be sure they don't have any scenery in folders outside of the main fs2004 folder.

D

Edited by Dave Morgan
fs2003

True, payware stuff must be added in again.I also share a common scenery folder with my installs, it saves multiple copies of the same folder.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

2 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

I also share a common scenery folder with my installs, it saves multiple copies of the same folder

Much more sensible than me. My installation is best described as 'organically grown'...

I keep telling myself I should rationalise it but it's such a daunting task.

LOL, true, I often forget what I've done as well.. I have 8 FS2004 themed installs, different front pages.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Hi, I'm probably not telling you anything others haven't but for what it is worth:  I too NOW have multiple installs of FS9, thanks to help from  Robin (Wobie) some time back.

Basically I've had Flight Sims forever and have done my share of real world flying too:-) and late last year I updated my Flight Sim Computer; an ideal time to deal, with not just all the stuff one accumulates but rationalize the different Sims. too. When I got down to it, I almost exclusively use FS9 - It does what I want! :-) So that is what I'm talking of here.

So, having read (on here ) of multiple installs I sought advice and Robin obliged. I have the OS on one SSD and my Sims on another. I also have 'Another' HDD with all the other accumulated files on (Aircraft Zips, scenery zips, Sim utilities, information, Downloads etc.etc.)

Once I'd installed FS9 (plus the update and No Disc mod) on the new SSD, I stopped everything and just 'Copied' that whole install Folder and saved it to my 'Another' HDD - marked it 'FS9 Clean Copy' and left it for posterity (the day everything goes haywire :-)  )

Thereafter I copied another install of FS9 to my Sim. SSD and named it 'TestBed' (leaving the other FS9 pristine copy of the Sim. well alone for the moment) I then began adding favourite Aircraft and sceneries, meshes, landclass etc. to the 'TestBed' install - flying in between to test each piece BEFORE adding it to my main 'FS9' install. I'm sure you get the gist!

Using this 'Testbed' I'd quickly proven a variety of Aircraft, Sceneries etc. and then loaded them into my 'Main' FS9. Having assembled my selected aircraft and the Sceneries, airports etc. I then copied the 'Main' FS9 Folder and saved that on my 'Another' disc and named it, 'Full Copy of Current FS9'

As and when I add new stuff to my 'Main' FS9 Sim, I then copy that in it's entirety to the 'Another' HDD - thereby ensuring the 'Backup' Copy of the Sim on the 'Another' HDD remains a 'Full current Copy of FS9'

I too now have various install with various names (I intend them to have different 'Splash' screens but that hasn't happened yet)

To be fair many of the Aircraft or sceneries don't need much testing as I've used them in previous computers but of course Windows 10 is new to me and I have had conflicts over time and this method ensures (as best as possible) that I don't have to go back to square one if a major problem occurs, I merely delete my 'Main' FS9 - copy the current 'Full Copy of Current FS9' from my 'Another' HDD to my SSD, rename it to be the 'Main' Sim  and start again:-)

This works for me and as one inevitably accumulates aircraft, sceneries etc. one can maintain a 'Backup' copy of all your current stuff, ready at the press of a button to be copies back to use whenever disaster strikes. It's also a lot simpler in practice than it is in trying to explain it here:-)

Good Luck!

Blue.

Pleased it's working for you.. 

I'm also using the 'Testbed' method for testing different scenery types, such as FSScene, The Natural World, & Obyx FS2004 mods.

I also share scenery across different installs... in the scenery library of 1 install, I just add scenery from another install by pointing the library to another install. 

It's a pity that planes cannot be shared that way.  

I've also customised my installs by using different splash screens & interfaces.

Have a look what Mark Daniels has done here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=78282089

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

How about cloning your complete HD from beginning to end, to an external HD ?

The payware Acronis True Image process can do this for you and while doing so it will automatically include your Windows, your registry, your partitions and any other software you may have. In other words, this process makes a complete copy of your HD, which can then be kept as a total system backup, including your complete FS. Via a following restore process you can even restore to a totally new (empty) HD and then continue with that as though nothing has happened.

Take care though and read the Acronis instructions carefully because disastrous mistakes are easily made.

Regards

Hans