Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

Air Marshal uses deadly force

Sad, but necessary. If that guy had a bomb, he could have hurt a lot of people.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I know--that's one reason I am not an Air Marshal--I couldn't handle that type of decision and from what I have read, it sounded like the only course of action that could be taken.-JC

>I know--that's one reason I am not an Air Marshal--I couldn't>handle that type of decision and from what I have read, it>sounded like the only course of action that could be taken.>>-JC I could. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

"I could."I'm sure some can and if I chose to be in that role, that's what I would have to do. That's why some of us choose to become police, FBI, DEA, etc... I suspect I could if my family or life was at stake. But I couldn't place myself in a profession where I had to make such a call every day. Any professional will tell you that deadly force is a decision which, right or wrong, they reflect on for every hour of the remainder of their life. Those that don't care or don't give their decisions thought I suspect are the ones that end up starting the bar brawls and fights trying to prove their bravado extends beyond a gun. And it's funny, they usually are the ones who end up leaving the profession.-JohnEdit: I should add to that, one of my mentors was a retired cop who wanted something to do, so came to work at a little inn where I had found a job two decades ago. I think he had to use deadly force once in his career--justified as it looks like this instance was. He said he thought about it every day of his life afterwards--not that it haunted him, but just that the thought of taking life is very overwhelming. He was (and I hope still is though he must be pushing 90 now) a great man and I learned a lot of life lessons from the guy..

Guest Philip Olson

Taking a life is one of the most horrible things that a person could do, just the thought of having to make that split second decision if they don't know for sure. In this case I am sure that this marshal did not have 100 percent proof that this guy had the bomb but he had to act, he could not have left it to chance. The weight this man will carry for the rest of his life will be great, I just hope that he is one that can cope with it. I am with Randy though, I most certainly could do the job if I had too. It is far easier if my life, or that of my family is in danger, beyond that it gets a lot harder to make the call I think. Well those thoughts aside I wish the best to all of those that were involved in this and I hope that they can find peace in another unfortunate human encounter. Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest beana51

I for one feel much more safe when flying with armed Marshall's on board.The pilots are already barricaded,in the cockpit,unarmed. They should carry a sidearm however. I would feel even more safe if they did. What with shoe bombs,and other devices which can be assembled on board,there is a possibility a tragedy can happen.Just recently the 9/11 commission reported an attack will happen,no ifs or buts,but will happen. So now an officer is setting there,a guy acts up, I got a bomb he announces,you got a split second.What do you do?of course training factors in.Worst case scenery,a bomb goes off, kills a lot of people,the air Marshall hesitated,he survives.I can assure you he would be held accountable.Now of course ,the guy had no bomb,and some will probably hold the airmarshall accountable.However they,the marshalls, do have the final word. No one likes this.There are people who want to kill us out there.No difference if he fits the description of a terrorist,or he is a nut! Others over Penna.,high in the sky, on 9/11 wish they had a couple of armed Marshall's with them. You don't do things threatening on a plane,ship, subway,and expect not to be challenged.Nor do you yell fire in a theater!. The way I see it,its a good example for others to take note of.The system works. THIS IS NOT A SAFE WORLD! VIN

Guest Shalomar

FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.The only way I could possibly justify it to myself would be "for a greater good". A dirty bomb in an airport, more at stake than me and him. Him being responsible in a big part for the decision. And my not being "sure". Merry Christmas and a Survivable New Year:-beerchugThis ain't over, sorry

Guest B1900 Mech

Sound's like suicide by cop:-roll

Guest saudi_777

*Sigh* Yet another SNAFU.... :-roll

Guest Shalomar

FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.A simple situation is never simple. Now the "understanding" and the blame game begins. Remember how long we have been given to "make up our mind what should have been done".Yet another Richard Jewell? Not on my watch. And I am bipolar.Merry Christmas and a Survivable New Year:-beerchug

maybe I'm missing something, but the story claims he said he had a bomb, yet in no description was that even stated? He complied about getting off the airplane, but refused to put down his bag, and moved towards them, then they shot him?

"maybe I'm missing something, but the story claims he said he had a bomb, yet in no description was that even stated? He complied about getting off the airplane, but refused to put down his bag, and moved towards them, then they shot him?"Sounds right, and if I were an Air Marshal I would have done just that. With such threats there's no second chances, and had it been a real bomb it would have harmed a great number of people. My only concern is it sounds like English wasn't his first language, but I can't tell that for certain from the scanty information posted. Even if he said something unintelligble, I suppose the Air Marshals did what they had to do. There's no room for guessing at what he said and they had to make a split second, instinctive decision. Which goes back to my saying I am glad I am not an Air Marshal or in Law Enforcement. What a tough situation to be confronted with!-John

Guest beana51

I hope not Donny, Seems these like what ever this country does is always held up to a different standard.Double guessing is a game.Such experts?,if they were in danger ,the comments would be far different. Cut a head off?,no problem,watch our towers go down?,no problem Rescue the Saudi from Saddam,? No problem,help get rid of Herr a really bad dude?Clean up the Pacific? no problem. Today is "Pearl Harbor Day",those thoughts are a problem.Taking precautions for the general safety of the innocents in our country is no "Snafu".It represents a major effort to do just that,protect us from those who do not wish us well. The most troubling thing about this whole thing,was the "Joy" expressed when 9/11 happed from certain sections of the world. Unfortunately ,Aviation is a vehicle to which those who are at war with us will use,so the security is justified. We may have to start using the Israel method of Air travel security.As tough as it is over there,they still have problems. Recently an Iranian Air liner went down. Immediately our out poring of concern was expressed here on this international forum.Where is the compassion expressed for things American when we have problems?.Blame,ridicule,disrespect directed at us seems to be the norm.Understanding support,I think not. Yes Donny, It will be "CHRISTMAS" soon,and that symbol is exact ally what they want to destroy. For that is the "spirit of good will to all men".But unfortunately it is elusive in in these times. Iam sure some reading this will say, the Ole coot, he forgot his pills today.However, it may be the not so subtle incendiary remarks expressed here sometimes which trigger an honest reply. If it offends,then those who monitor this,should apply the rules equally. There was a "Greatest Generation", This too, is a great generation.The previous, freed us from word Fascism,and Communism,at an awful price.I hope this generation does not have to pay that price again, really! "MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL" VIN

Guest Shalomar

FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.If it took losing my life to guarantee my fellow mental patients always get at least the same rights accorded criminal defendants, I would not hesitate. I have been striving toward that very elusive goal for over ten years.Many things are worth dying for. None are worth, to me, killing for.Ghandi Paraphrased