Sign in to follow this  
Brandon01110

Best bush flying location suggestions

59 minutes ago, LHookins said:

but it shouldn't matter that much.

Hook

Oh! the trees height matters very much as the final glide slope is generally steep, the aircraft is loaded (faster stall speed) and, to add insult to misery, you may have some tail wind. There is a dogleg strip in PNG (Milei) where the trees are IMHO too high and that makes landing more difficult thant it is, I suppose, in real life. 

Going to have a look at this Oronico river...

EDIT

I see ! I am a  little slow today, we call it the Orénoque 🙂. Yes interesting flying and to get back to a fav topic of mine I hope not to have a blue Oronico ! Silt, please ! And sandbars !

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Skyvector doesn't show all these tiny airfields, and even Google Earth has the airport icon in the wrong place for a lot of them.

My pleasure to help an alpha tester 😉

https://ourairports.com/countries/PG/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

There is a dogleg strip in PNG (Milei) where the trees are IMHO too high and that makes landing more difficult than it is, I suppose, in real life.

I've seen a video of a landing at that strip in Orbx (they have a sign there that reads "Milie") and it looks easy enough there.  The dogleg is easily visible on Google Earth.  Looks like I'm going to have to schedule a flight there.

I hate to sound like certain other posters, but... Hey Asobo!  Any chance of getting all the trees fixed?  😄

Sorry 'bout that.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

6 minutes ago, polosim said:

Nothing can be compared to what used in real life ( old fashion real aeronautical map ) 🙂

Too cool!  Thanks!

Larry Hookins

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

I hope not to have a blue Oronico

As far as I know, rivers and other bodies of water will show colors similar to what you see in Google Earth.  This has been my experience so far in every instance where I've paid attention.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

8 minutes ago, polosim said:

Nothing can be compared to what used in real life ( old fashion real aeronautical map ) 🙂

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/tpc/txu-pclmaps-oclc-22834566_n-15a.jpg

Here in the UkaduKa (UK) we got these published by the CAA. 1:500,000 VFR Chart

Not half as graceful and as pleasant to peruse as the American ones though very quick and effective once you get used to them.

Southern-England-Ed40-v2-Standard.jpg

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Not half as graceful and as pleasant

So interesting.

Great Britain South it's a really, really complicated area.

5 minutes ago, polosim said:

Great Britain South it's a really, really complicated area.

Horribly...but somehow we all seem to avoid each other okay.

There's a lot of Class D Airspace too - with a lot of arguing going on about it.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

I'm almost exclusively a bush flyer in flight sims.  It's my absolute favorite type of flying.  It's why I own all of the ORBX regions along the west coast of North America.

Alaska is my favorite bush flying environment though.  I just wish ORBX covered the entire state instead of just the lower half of it.  Once I get MSFS I am setting out into Alaska and flying all over it!

I take it you are a beta tester Brandon?  If so try this flight in MFS:

TAKE OFF: AK24, it's a nice very short runway NE of Anchorage.  Now FLY down to PAWD Seward airport but stay as low as you can by flying the mountain valleys.

Have fun!

• Like 1

@LHookins 

Me in final in Milei 😃. The shot doesn't show the wretched banana trees.

49638897217_d5e4f571db_k.jpg 

So you like Alaska, hey ? Check for me Chisana (but don't tell me anything of course, NDA and all that 🤫). That goes to @Arwentoo.

The first time I landed in default CZN, there were three big tanks and a suburban house and the usual default dirt or grass runway textures. I went to Google Earth to have a look, there was no tank but some lodges and not one but three landing strips !

I made my own little scenery for it adding the three strips and lodges that I've never published because I was not entirely satisfied.  But I spent a lot of time there tweaking  and flying between the three strips.  The landcape is beautiful, there is a glacier melting into a braided rive and the three strips make it great fun  to fly.

Go and have a look guys  62° 4'.00N 142°2'.52W, GE is better than Bing.

• Like 2

Dominique

16 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Once I get MSFS I am setting out into Alaska and flying all over it!

Before you do, examine the areas in Google Earth first because they don't look anything like P3D. 🙂  MSFS tends to resemble what you see in Google Earth.

Hook

Larry Hookins

5 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Alaska is my favorite bush flying environment though.  I just wish ORBX covered the entire state instead of just the lower half of it.  Once I get MSFS I am setting out into Alaska and flying all over it!

Bush flying in MSFS will be blowminder. 

About 'infamous' tree sizes, these cannot be modified everywhere in the world to the most hidden corners. I am therefore sure that there will be a tool to modify them for each user.

Let us not forget the bug that exists in FSX and successors, where the runway is sunk in the ground or in a plateau, which can be corrected with appropriate tools, like ADEX and others.

4.jpg

Go fly the Chinese Wall - not be confused with The Great Wall Of China.

The Chinese Wall is in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area in Montana.

Take off from Benchmark (3U7) and fly WNW about 15 NM. Then fly North to follow it - it's a sheer cliff face high up on the Continental Divide. Water on one side finds its way to the Pacific - and on the other to the Atlantic.

It's beautiful. Take off in a simple aircraft - there's nothing complex around so throw your scenery sliders full right for maximum effect.

1280px-View-of-the-Wall-from-Prairie-Ree

Here's your flight plan;

Get going!

chinesewallfp.jpg

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese