Sign in to follow this  
viz

Floatplanes looking unlikely for initial release?

Just now, Will Fly For Cheese said:

He could run the tank dry and then bring it down on to the ocean and hoist a little mast and sail the rest of the way.

LOL!  What do you suppose the average sailing speed would be?  Probably about 4 knots.  Maybe he could station boats along the way for refueling.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Have you got the Oz Goose Redux package?

I used their wonderful updated graphics, but I'd done so much editing to the stock flight model that I preferred to use my own.  That was the aircraft where I learned to edit flight models.

Edit:  I flew the Goose well into P3Dv2.

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Just now, LHookins said:

LOL!  What do you suppose the average sailing speed would be?  Probably about 4 knots.  Maybe he could station boats along the way for refueling.

Hook

As a sailor and a flyer I would calculate the average sailing speed to be somewhere in the region of. . .

not good.

• Like 1

I thought checking unlimited fuel, was all that was needed. :laugh:

huey1177.gif

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, jpc55 said:

I thought checking unlimited fuel, was all that was needed. :laugh:

huey1177.gif

Yeah, you can do that in the real thing too.

Just keep below about 10 feet AGL  😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

With a range of about 300 nautical miles you might find this a bit difficult. 😄 

Do as one would in the Real World: install some collapsable ferry tanks to extend the range. 😏

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

12 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Do as one would in the Real World: install some collapsable ferry tanks to extend the range. 😏

Absolutely N4

Turn it into a flying gas tank. You're in the left seat sitting next to 30 gallons of Avgas in the right seat in a bladder. On the back seats - you got 60 gallons of Avgas in a bladder. 

At this point - take another look at that sign in all Cessnas - saying "Smoking Prohibited"

But make sure you leave just enough space for a torch, a life raft and an EPIRB.

Then you'll have Light, Buoyancy and Hope - and that's not a bad three things to have when you've ditched in water a hundred from the nearest shore - and you're doing the Goose Bay to Prestwick Run - where there is no SARS. 

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1

Suitably positioned aircraft carriers would be nice :biggrin:

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 7/2/2020 at 7:32 AM, Chock said:

Just to clear here, the Icon A5 is not a floatplane, it is an amphibious flying boat. There is a difference.

I don't disagree, except for this "nit-pick":  Would a frog be considered an amphibian strictly because it can "live" on/in the water and it can"live" on land, or is it an amphibian because it can transition naturally between the two?  Would it still be an amphibian if it required a human hand (or other entity) to pick it up and move it from one environment to the other?  Just sayin' - I would accept the Icon A5 in MSFS 2020 as an amphibian if it could transition from water to land and vice versa, but it cannot.  It's either a "flying boat" stuck on the water, or a "flying boat" stuck on land.  Would be great if we could land at an seaplane base and drive down a ramp (like a real Icon can) and go to the water or land on water and drive up a ramp to hanger space, runways, fuel, etc..

20 hours ago, Tarsier said:

I don't disagree, except for this "nit-pick":  Would a frog be considered...

In hindsight, I wish I'd been either more brief or not ranted like that.  It sounds kind of nutty and not as humbly respectful and appreciative as I am for all the great info you folks share.  I apologize.

7 minutes ago, Tarsier said:

In hindsight, I wish I'd been either more brief or not ranted like that.  It sounds kind of nutty and not as humbly respectful and appreciative as I am for all the great info you folks share.  I apologize.

Well, your first post made me smile 😉, we need that on this forum.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam