Sign in to follow this  
Th3Scop3DJ

GSX Boarding Sound Replacement Sound

On 7/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, KL Oo said:

Interesting. So the option to have multiple files and an element of 'randomness' to it isn't possible?

@virtual is this something you might be able to look at? Perhaps a folder for each 'stage' of the boarding or deboarding process where we could put a variety of files and one is selected at random (or even based on geographical location - would be great for pushback etc).

Which is EXACTLY how GSX works, normally. There are 18 different sounds for Boarding, and 16 different sounds for Deboarding and, of course, they ARE chosen at random.

The OP replaced only ONE sound, which is the loop that is supposed to be very short ( 20 seconds ), that ONLY reproduces the sounds of seat belts in the background, it doesn't have anything to do with the voices, which are the 18+16 wav files named "Airplane_???boarding_hello*.WAV". but doesn't mean GSX only has "one sound", it means he replace it only one and, by replacing it with a 5 MINUTES wav file ( which upped your RAM usage from 880 K from 60 MB, fortunately Couatl runs *outside* the sim, but this is still ram that is used... ), and because is that long, the first "Hello" couldn't get a chance to be played, at least for the first 5 minutes, because GSX will first play the loop sound, but it will start playing the "hellos" only after that the seat belts loop played at least once ( obviously intentional, so we don't start with the hellos before some background noise is made ).

Now let's see some math:

Since there are 18 different sounds for Boarding and 16 for Deboarding, and each time a passenger pass through the door, there's a 10% chance a *random* Hello sound will play, if you are boarding, let's say, 200 Passengers, you are supposed to ear, on average, 20 Hellos in total, taken randomly from a list of 18 so, chances to see the same sound too many times over the course of the operation are not very high.

We can of course increase the number of variations, and possibly decrease the chance from 10% to even less ( is it realistic that a crew will greet less than 1 passenger every 10 ? ) but I guess nobody will ever be happy, if you use GSX a lot, ANY number of variations WILL get old after a while so, what would be a good chance ? 1 out of 1000 ? People will say "GSX is bugged", because they boarded 400 passenger and didn't hear ANY hello ( "it worked before, I swear..." )

Edited by virtuali

21 hours ago, SolRayz said:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why FSDT can't update the ground handler voices. Terrible and you can barely hear them. 

Which language you are referring to ? The US voices are made by a professional voice actor and sound just fine to me. Previous version might have been easier to hear, because they were made with text-to-speech, so they are extremely compressed (they lack any nuance of the real human voices ) and designed to be heard even with crappy speakers but, of course, people complained they sounded "robotic", so we listened to users, paid a professional voice actor ( several of them, for different accents, even if *some* of them are not professionals, but the US English surely is ), and of course...is impossible to make everybody happy, again.

Edited by virtuali

14 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Which language you are referring to ? The US voices are made by a professional voice actor and sound just fine to me. Previous version might have been easier to hear, because they were made with text-to-speech, so they are extremely compressed (they lack any nuance of the real human voices ) and designed to be heard even with crappy speakers but, of course, people complained they sounded "robotic", so we listened to users, paid a professional voice actor ( several of them, for different accents, even if *some* of them are not professionals, but the US English surely is ), and of course...is impossible to make everybody happy, again.

You can't please everyone, we both know that. People could just record their own sounds, the community could do that but so far only a handful of people actually did that. I didn't liked the boarding sound and that's why I made a new one. I had this for nearly one year now and someone in a Facebook group asked if there's a way to replace it. So I thought why not share it. If people like it, fine. If not then they can just do their own or stick to the default ones.

That's what a community is about. I understand how GSX works with the sounds and I'm glad that people start to modify stuff and share it with the community.

@virtual I appreciate that you explained how the sounds. Gives me and others actually even more possibilities to modify the sounds. That way one could even make sounds specifically for an airline or so. 

Keep it up 🙂

Edited by Th3Scop3DJ

Kevin Baker

Ahh Excellent. I never realised there where a variety of sounds for pushback etc. Certainly the boarding sounds do become a bit repetitive (I’m doing goooood) But @virtual response and maths seems like a good way to do it.

I have to admit I do get confused by the sound volume sometimes for pushback. Sometimes it’s loud other times really quiet. Are they played at the same volume in outside and inside views? 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Just now, KL Oo said:

Ahh Excellent. I never realised there where a variety of sounds for pushback etc. Certainly the boarding sounds do become a bit repetitive (I’m doing goooood) But @virtual response and maths seems like a good way to do it.

I have to admit I do get confused by the sound volume sometimes for pushback. Sometimes it’s loud other times really quiet. Are they played at the same volume in outside and inside views? 

Do you have the Nvidia audio driver installed by any chance? And your onboard audio driver? If so, delete the Nvidia audio driver. 😉 It's not GSX 😉

Kevin Baker

7 minutes ago, Th3Scop3DJ said:

Do you have the Nvidia audio driver installed by any chance? And your onboard audio driver? If so, delete the Nvidia audio driver. 😉 It's not GSX 😉

Or better just disable Nvidia's audio.

Interesting, I might try that. I use a TV display connected via HDMI from the 2080ti.... is it the nvidia sound I want to disable or the onboard realtec sound?

all other apps are fine, just sometimes gsx comes out real quiet or unheard. In the settings it’s set To put  sound to the TV

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

1 hour ago, KL Oo said:

GSX both supports positional 3d audio, and it also models a different attenuation depending if you are in the VC or outside the airplane. And, it makes a difference between "in cockpit" and "outside world" sound which means:

- When you are in the VC, "in cockpit" sounds will sound louder. They also don't have any 3d positioning, because they are supposed to play in the pilot's headphones. An example of these sounds are the pushback or de-icer voices. "outside world" sound will sound attenuated, but with full 3D positional audio, calculated starting from your eyepoint position and rotation in relationship to the sound source in the 3D world. The fuel truck pump, the catering cart passing over the raised platform, the engine sounds, are all example of "outside world" sound with full 3D information, which also moves with the object the sound source it's attached to.

- When you are in another ( outside ) view, "in cockpit" sounds will still sound the same, but outside world sound will sound louder so, you might have the impression the in-cockpit sounds became more faint, but they aren't, they are only competing with louder sounds from the outside, which includes not just GSX, but also the other sounds of the sim, which are also louder in an outside view ( engines, or apu, for example )

The ideal audio setup for GSX would be a surround system, even 5.1/7.1 headphone, because you will be able to hear exactly the direction any sounds comes from, which makes them also way clearer to differentiate.

Edited by virtuali

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

I guess the US voice, I had no idea this even changes since usually fly domestic US. Now that you mention it, the voices do sound better than in the past, but the volume is low, despite the fact that I have the gsx settings volume at max as well as the couatl windows volum mixer maxed. 

2 hours ago, KL Oo said:

I have to admit I do get confused by the sound volume sometimes for pushback. Sometimes it’s loud other times really quiet.

Same here.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor